Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Compliant Defensive Rifles in the 2020s

@RevolverRob, I just realized the ARFCOM thread I found is the one you linked.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    And FlightLite has pistol lowers in stock, but if I remember they can’t be built as rifles - right?
    From a technical standpoint? Legally I don’t think there should be an issue.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    From a technical standpoint? Legally I don’t think there should be an issue.
    Ok, I thought that if it were transferred as a pistol it couldn’t ever have a buttstock attached.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Ok, I thought that if it were transferred as a pistol it couldn’t ever have a buttstock attached.
    You have it backwards. You can go title 1 pistol to title 1 rifle But not the other way around.

Yep you can still buy "rifle kits" for Glocks and 1911s that consist of a 16" barrel and stock. Remember, technically you must assemble the barrel assembly to the receiver first then attach the stock to the receiver. Because technically attaching a stock to a pistol receiver without a 16" barrel in place makes the weapon an illegal SBR.

The ATF is apparently like Santa Claus and knows when you've assembled a weapon out of an arbitrary order. But unlike Santa who puts coal in your stocking, the ATF takes your 16" barrel and puts it into your coal chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The Rugers are popular in WNY as PCC USPSA competition guns. However, there were quite a few of them in TX for IDPA carbine matches. Of course, as I always say, we are waiting for Justices Brett and Amy to bring the ARs and higher cap mags to the ban states of AMERICA. I see this happening in about 2052.
    Don't be ungrateful. If Hillary had been elected, she would have appointed justices who would have viewed NY legal firearms as NFA weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You have it backwards. You can go title 1 pistol to title 1 rifle But not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Yep you can still buy "rifle kits" for Glocks and 1911s that consist of a 16" barrel and stock. Remember, technically you must assemble the barrel assembly to the receiver first then attach the stock to the receiver. Because technically attaching a stock to a pistol receiver without a 16" barrel in place makes the weapon an illegal SBR.

The ATF is apparently like Santa Claus and knows when you've assembled a weapon out of an arbitrary order. But unlike Santa who puts coal in your stocking, the ATF takes your 16" barrel and puts it into your coal chute.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification!
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Don't be ungrateful. If Hillary had been elected, she would have appointed justices who would have viewed NY legal firearms as NFA weapons.
    Didn't vote for her. However, since there is a possibility of a gun banner being elected, I still await the golden ticket to arrive from Scotus.

You have a point that the banners did learn from the expired AWB and would pass a much more restrictive ban. Certainly new guns would be out. How they go after existing guns depends. Confiscation has been suggested by some. NYTimes columnists are all in on that.

CT is a ban state. AR15 in it's typical configuration is unavailable for purchase or transfer to the great unwashed masses. However this is a picture from a local shop showing a few of what can be legally purchased in the "Other" configuration.

That's my rifle. A guy on AR15.com made an adapter for the SCR lower to accept the SGA stock (Mossberg model). That's really the only "magic enabling piece."

The original SCR recoil system extended into the sporter stock, and is not compatible with the Magpul stock. Not a problem because the BRN180 upper recoil system is all self-contained. A little filing was required on the BRN180 at the bottom rear (plastic piece) to fit the SCR lower.

The rifle uses CZ Scorpion sights which are usable through the dot. I have since had good luck with a low-mounted a P4Xi on this rifle. The muzzle device is a linear comp to avoid flash hider issues. I added quick-pull receiver takedown pins so it will more easily go into/out of a Grey Ghost backpack.

Happy to answer any other questions. I'm pretty pleased with the handling. Controls on the SCR aren't ideally located but things like an ambi mag release helped.

I keep coming back to this. I wonder what all is involved? Was this on a forum somewhere?

User Tag List