Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Compliant Defensive Rifles in the 2020s

Since gunowner repression is typically incremental, I see the opportunity to shop for a stair step arsenal, so you always have the best legal weapons on hand.

Live legal M16 until they cancel your stamp.
    AR15 until Ugly Features are banned.
    Mini until detachable box magazines are banned.
    SKS and Benelli until semi autos are banned.
    Lever action and 870 until repeaters are banned.

And the last resort, a Biden Special double shotgun. Bear in mind that shotguns are always the last and least restricted firearm. You will still be prosecuted for using it in self defense, it has happened in England that I know of.
    Join the Skeet club, that will give you a Socially Acceptable use for it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Assuming semi-automatic firearms as a whole weren’t banned and my only options for a semi-auto rifle would look something like a CA-legal AR-15 with a fixed magazine and fin grip, I’d probably just start practicing more with my Beretta 1301 and make that my primary longarm. The modified Ares/FightLight SCR lower with Brownells BRN-180 upper @vandal posted earlier does look intriguing. I’m assuming it keeps the removable magazine, in which case I’d be okay with it. The upcoming Law Tactical bolt carrier would also work with a standard AR upper for something like that. With a fixed, 10-round magazine an AR wouldn’t be my preference at all. Considering the standard response with an AR is something like five rounds per person, you’re stuck with a two-bad guy gun that you can’t reload in a reasonable timeframe. I’d much rather have a tube magazine shotgun at that point because it would hold more servings and be possible to reload relatively quickly. I don’t know if I’d prefer a double barrel shotgun to the fixed, 10-round mag AR, but the double barrel shotgun would definitely be quicker to reload.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    This took some doing but is CA legal by current definitions. Ares/FightLight SCR receiver with improved Gen 2 trigger. Magpul Mossberg stock adapter from a guy on AR15.com. Brownells BRN-180 upper. Linear comp. Ambi mag release installed due to SCR mag release location. CZ Scorpion irons for backup through the Aimpoint.
    Got a link to that stock adaptor?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

While I have no plans to ever not have access to detachable magazine firearms, I like pretty much everything that goes pew so I figure I have some options in the safe if it were ever to occur....

Name:  US Milsurp.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  milsurp 2.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  Civ long guns.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  38.9 KB

.22 LR trainers for some of the Milsurps, I'm particularly fond of the M1922 trainer as it used to belong to my friend Pat Rogers.

Name:  22 milsurps.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  28.8 KB

And, even though it's the long gun section, no primary is good without a secondary to keep it company...

Name:  Revolvers.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  41.7 KB

So I figure I'll be okay in that department too....

I helped a buddy do some test shooting for a article he is working on regarding fighting with a bolt rifle in the trenches of WW1, I found during the courses of fire that while I would obviously rather have a semi auto AR based rifle, I didn't feel particularly unarmed running a bolt rifle on the move, particularly one that launched .30-06 or 8mm....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

You'd contact user BradN on ar15.com. (Thread) I should clarify that this setup is not compatible with the standard inside-the-stock SCR recoil system and abbreviated bolt, so it cannot be used with standard AR uppers. The action must be contained entirely in the upper. That's why I went BRN180.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Got a link to that stock adaptor?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The M1 Garand is cool...... It is long, heavy and cumbersome......excellent sights for longer range shooting, and .30-06 can certainly shoot through lots of stuff, but I would swing more towards lighter and faster handling weapons that better accommodate mounting a light and optic.
    In my imagination only, but for some time I have pictured it. I think using the basic M1 design and downsizing it, chambering it for other less powerful cartridges/calibers, using synthetic stocks, keeping the clip fed fixed magazine aspect but upsizing to 10 rounds (like Garand's original design) for the lesser calibers, building in a good rail system and scope mounts would be a very cool "ban rifle". Something that is a cross between the Mini-14 and the original M-1.

Expensive to bring to market for sure, and not worth trying for the few ban states that currently exist. But any future advent of a 50 state permanent ban on detachable mags and rifles holding more than 10 rounds will inspire some new designs and concepts and I think that is one that could work.

But her regency Comrade Queen Kamala I will probably ban semi-autos completely...what am I imagining...

The Inrange guys have noted that the traditional boltie battle rifle does generally fall short in a few areas:
    -Often too big and bulky
    -Bad sights, especially the irons on Mausers
    -Poor inherent accuracy, especially with the bad sights
    -Overpowered for general combat ranges
    -Hard to get a quick follow-up shot
    -Low capacity, and hard to reload quickly

In general, you have something that's too heavy, slow, and bulky for close in fighting (excepting as a spear), but not really accurate enough for long distance.

In an odd way, I think my answer would be a beefed up CZ 527 in .300 BO with optic, synthetic Manlichier style full stock, and AR style mags (flush fit, but able to take the bigger ones).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    In my imagination only, but for some time I have pictured it. I think using the basic M1 design and downsizing it, chambering it for other less powerful cartridges/calibers...
    I'm imagining a suppressed baby Garand shooting 300 BLK subs where the ping of the ejected clip is deafening compared to the shots fired.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    While I have no plans to ever not have access to detachable magazine firearms, I like pretty much everything that goes pew so I figure I have some options in the safe if it were ever to occur....

Name:  US Milsurp.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  milsurp 2.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  Civ long guns.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  38.9 KB

.22 LR trainers for some of the Milsurps, I'm particularly fond of the M1922 trainer as it used to belong to my friend Pat Rogers.

Name:  22 milsurps.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  28.8 KB

And, even though it's the long gun section, no primary is good without a secondary to keep it company...

Name:  Revolvers.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  41.7 KB

So I figure I'll be okay in that department too....

I helped a buddy do some test shooting for a article he is working on regarding fighting with a bolt rifle in the trenches of WW1, I found during the courses of fire that while I would obviously rather have a semi auto AR based rifle, I didn't feel particularly unarmed running a bolt rifle on the move, particularly one that launched .30-06 or 8mm....
    Yeah I reckon I wouldn't feel too bad if "all" I had was all that.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    In my imagination only, but for some time I have pictured it. I think using the basic M1 design and downsizing it, chambering it for other less powerful cartridges/calibers, using synthetic stocks, keeping the clip fed fixed magazine aspect but upsizing to 10 rounds (like Garand's original design) for the lesser calibers, building in a good rail system and scope mounts would be a very cool "ban rifle". Something that is a cross between the Mini-14 and the original M-1.

Expensive to bring to market for sure, and not worth trying for the few ban states that currently exist. But any future advent of a 50 state permanent ban on detachable mags and rifles holding more than 10 rounds will inspire some new designs and concepts and I think that is one that could work.

But her regency Comrade Queen Kamala I will probably ban semi-autos completely...what am I imagining...
    If someone made a "baby Garand" in 5.56 I would be willing to spend a pretty good chunk of change to get one, ban or no. As it is I really want a "tanker" Garand in .308.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List