Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Compliant Defensive Rifles in the 2020s

I've been living this for a while, being in CA. I've had a ton of different AR and AK Californicated setups, and never was comfortable thinking of them as defensive options due to the modifications required, and the politics of the state. I've settled on handguns and semi auto shotguns, 1301T specifically, as my go to defensive arms. If I need a rifle, my SKSs are in new, unissued condition and I'm more than comfortable using them if necessary. My M1 Garand serves this role as well, but it's a lot more expensive to regularly practice with.
    While I'd prefer the AWB goes away here, and it might eventually, I'm comfortable with these right now, and don't necessarily feel undergunned as a regular Joe.

Perhaps we can think, milsurp.....

https://worthingtongalleries.com/sho...intlock-rifle/
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Ditto to that, Swamp - if the current or past president is/was nuts/senile won't configure a gun.

I said, I think, in my ban state - my solution was a Mini-14 that is not 'tactically' stocked or a thread barrel, with an optic, a Ruger PCC, non threaded barrel and a Winchester Defender 1300. If the first two are banned, unlikely, I'll worry about it them. I have a 10/22 with an optic if 22 LRs survive the hypothetical horrors. I haven't found the NY compliant ARs to be attractive.

If Scotus actually takes an AWB case: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...z-newsom-bonta

The ruling overturning California’s assault weapon ban was nutty. But it may be on solid legal ground

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    That's a milsurp going waaaaaaaaaaay back

OK, back on track.

M1 Garand and carbine were both mentioned. Also Ruger Mini which is an M-14 downsized clone. All those look harmless enough with wood stocks. Of any of those I would choose a Mini which I believe is even legal in CA. without an optic and using a 10 rd mag. Well, there you go. I have one and they're 100% reliable, though not as accurate as your average $750 AR, but who cares. You won't be shooting people a block anyway...probably, although it isn't hard to ring steel at 220 yds using an aperture sight with a little practice.

Getting an M-1 carbine to run depends on a complete spring upgrade and rebuilding the bolt. Then you have to vet the magazines which can be time consuming and expensive. A Mini will run right out of the box. A trigger job and gas bushing replacement greatly improves their usefulness but isn't critical to their basic function as a defense rifle. The price of those have gone up to around 1K new if you can find one. I've had mine for a few years and it was around $750 new. Don't buy a used 180 series rifle. Barrels were redesigned with the 580 series and are much more accurate.

https://www.guns.com/news/reviews/th...for-california
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The M1 Garand is cool.

I have shot one in stock configuration, and it is way down on the list of rifles I would want for any realistic engagement I might found myself in. It is long, heavy and cumbersome.

It has excellent sights for longer range shooting, and .30-06 can certainly shoot through lots of stuff, but I would swing more towards lighter and faster handling weapons that better accommodate mounting a light and optic.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think the ban of all detachable-magazine semi-autos is a little more TEOTWAWKI than makes sense to plan for at this point. Rolling up granddad's BAR deer rifle, as much as the disarmament complex wishes they could, would not pass a 2A test in courts that exist this decade. If things went all to hell that way, I think the Australian example of banning all the things, including lever actions and pumps, would soon follow. In which case, a Ruger American Ranch rifle would probably be the pattern. Unless it went to civil war, which might be possible at that point.

In the realm of CA-compliant rifles today, I find the Browning BAR MkIII DBM to be a logical choice (wood makes it even less scary), as well as the Fightlite SCR. If you can find one, it's possible to buy the lower and build whatever upper you want. Or just buy a whole gun and have a 5.56, then build an additional upper in the snowflake caliber of your choice. Or just swap the barrel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The M1 Garand is cool.

I have shot one in stock configuration, and it is way down on the list of rifles I would want for any realistic engagement I might found myself in. It is long, heavy and cumbersome.

It has excellent sights for longer range shooting, and .30-06 can certainly shoot through lots of stuff, but I would swing more towards lighter and faster handling weapons that better accommodate mounting a light and optic.
    An ultimak rail makes an optic and light easy to mount if they're wanted

I suppose the whole point of the thread is kind of political; it's asking what rifle if there's a ban of our present rifles. But setting the political part aside, I think my 1301 Tactical might wind up in the mix for primary HD anyway. I primarily rely on a carbine now but in the place where I live a shotgun has some good attributes. My mostly lanes of fire would have a relatively safe backstop but if my shots were to go well wide or high they could strike an apartment complex. But virtually any firing lane I might utilize would be pretty safe with the 00 or #4 buckshot I keep on hand. The 1301 fires about as fast as my carbines, and if I got a mag extension tube than capacity would probably not be an issue (less than a 30 round mag obviously but probably a bit more effective on a round per round basis).
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    While the situation in Germany does not have a direct effect on my life one way or the other...
    As someone with a couple USPs and a couple more classic Sigs in the safe, who might buy some Brenneke slugs or RWS brass from time to time, it does have a direct effect on my life.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List