Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Compliant Defensive Rifles in the 2020s

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I have intentions of building a 1903 Springfield in Krag carbine style. It wont be as compact as the 303 was, probably will have a 22" barrel. It may or may not have a scope, it depends on what I decide when proceeding with it. I like the original style, but it will have a good pad, and likely be in a semi-wimpy chambering (25-06 or 257 Robts?), or use somewhat reduced 06 loads due to my current limitations.
    I've got it! Springfield Bushmaster, as used in Panama ca 1943.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I've got it! Springfield Bushmaster, as used in Panama ca 1943.
    Yes, thats the general concept, by no means my original idea. The Bushmaster version wasnt very graceful looking, and I think had an 18 1/2" barrel, a bit more blasty than I care for in 06 or similar class round.

Some of the Krag carbine models werent very graceful looking either, one was though, and is the inspiration for my intended attempt, and part of the inspiration for the cut down 303 No4 I did.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I believe some of the issue (if there is any of measure) with the Enfield was a combination of manufacturing tolerances both within Britain at the time as well as across the Empire (or what was left of it). Much like Garands or M1 Carbines here, there are certain manufacturers that have a reputation for producing slightly better examples than others. Don’t forget as well that while Stateside, the folks that made Garands went home after their shift to their homes, the folks at Maltby went home to Heinkels and Messerschmitts. The British doctrine at the time revolved around the use of stripper clips. The thought of separating the magazine from the gun was relatively unheard of. The typical British soldier had gear that was designed to support the Bren, and the fact that he carried an Enfield was kinda secondary.

Sorry for the tangent and (politely intended) rant. I’m a bit of an Enfield nerd.
    His Enfield became pretty primary when he moved to assault the enemy that were being fixed in place by the 1 or (later) 2 stationary Bren teams, cause it was all he had along with some grenades.
    I guess we need a Lee-Enfield thread

Separating the mag from the gun in a Commonwealth army was VERY unheard of.

To stay on track with the thread, I have a IMI Timberwolf (.44 mag pump carbine, 10 rounds in the tube) that is the fastest manually cycling long arm I've seen. But they are few and far between and I have no experience with the 760/7600 rifles but have heard they don't hold up to heavy use??? Someone who's used them hard should weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    These are in use with No. 4's but something similar would be workable for any box mag bolt gun or shorter semiauto mags like the MAS 49/56.
    They are not in use anymore. The Rangers traded them in for C19s. There is a commercial version if you want to spend 2k for iron sights. Though you do get the nice laminate stock, which depending on where you plan to go might be better than the synthetic of the CTR it is based on.

My factory new condition SKS' are my go-to rifles, since I live in CA. Though my primary long gun is my 1301T d/t the ability to mount a light and have an optic, which is the big downside to the SKS, IMO.

The Yugos feel like a 7.62x39 Garand, and in my experience, run every bit as well.
    With good clips, reloading is fast, and carrying ammo is pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Rifle View Post
    They are not in use anymore. The Rangers traded them in for C19s. There is a commercial version if you want to spend 2k for iron sights. Though you do get the nice laminate stock, which depending on where you plan to go might be better than the synthetic of the CTR it is based on.
    I understand that, I wasn't suggesting that gear is current issue, I've always thought the replacement rifle was pretty slick.
    They've been in service for several years, I'd like to hear some reviews from users in the great white.

I think my top picks to round out all possibilities are:

1. Benelli M4 (not a rifle, but still)
    2. SKS
    3. M1 Garand
    4. Tikka T3x Arctic
    5. Lee Enfield of some variant

For the Lee Enfield I'm particularly interested in an Ishapore 2A1 in 7.62 NATO, though I've had a hard time finding one in the kind of condition I would want. I used to have a very nice like-new British No. 4 Mk. 1 .303 that looked like it had just left the factory floor. The bore was so bright and shiny that it looked like it was chrome lined. Unfortunately I had to sell it to pay for expenses brought on by a then-8-week-old German Shepherd puppy, but I've always wanted to replace it with a Lee Enfield of some sort in similarly great condition. It was a lot of fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    ^^^ The further back you can get your thumb on rounds in strippers the smoother they work.

Besides anticipating possible legislative/executive actions, many like to travel, sometimes to places that already have restrictions. Yes, you can stash your locally non-compliant guns outside the restricted areas, or use things for regular day to day that arent a problem to travel with. As an example, I hope to be able to winter some in Az again, and trips to Death Valley and other places in Cal would be on the agenda as well. I have no particular schedule or route when I go places like that, knowing Im able to easily move about without potential violations of local laws has interest for me. My own personal preferences in pistols and long guns that I carry and use regularly already tend towards ones that arent affected by the restrictions. I seem to be in the minority in that regard, but I can live with it.
    This is a good point, and one I had not considered. Even disregarding potential bans, there are other valid reasons to have more "compliant" firearms at the ready in case you find yourself going somewhere that is less friendly to the types of firearms we usually go for. Just curious, what are those preferences of yours in pistols and long guns that you use regularly which aren't affected by the restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    This is a good point, and one I had not considered. Even disregarding potential bans, there are other valid reasons to have more "compliant" firearms at the ready in case you find yourself going somewhere that is less friendly to the types of firearms we usually go for. Just curious, what are those preferences of yours in pistols and long guns that you use regularly which aren't affected by the restrictions?
    Lever and bolt action rifles and revolvers.

Ive had, carried and shot ARs and various other self loaders, but for day to day carry, which I normally do to some degree, the levers and occasionally bolts are the ones I tend to grab most. I like shooting AR rifles quite a bit, mainly actual 20" rifles and at longer distances, 300-600+ yards, but for actually carrying around when dog walking, hiking or on skunk patrol at dusk, not so much. Im also on the edge of good grizzly country, the usual carry when in bear areas is a 45-70 Browning 1886, Winchester 71 or some sort of bolt gun in 35 Whelen or 06 caliber. All carry much easier for me in hand than any self loaders ive had, as do the smaller caliber versions I use around the yard and places without bears hanging around as much. Injuries have slowed down my hiking in bear country, but havent lessened my liking of the levers in lighter calibers for easy carry for their power range. Im messing with a 6mm bolt rifle project also, I need to swap barrels on it and it should be good to go.

Revolvers, I have always shot them much better with less effort, than any self loading pistols. I mostly carried a 4" 29 Smith or 45 Ruger SA with moderately stout loads( 250s@ 1000fps and 325s@ 1250fps). Ive backed up somewhat to medium 45 Colt loads, 44 spl, and 357 for pistol stuff since becoming more geezerly and less physically capable from injuries.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-23-2021 at 09:46 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Why did I look at the Tikka catalog - they have a 10 round T3x compact tactical rifle that comes left handed (me)! Do I really need an apocalypse, ban rifle and explaining it to my dear one?
    You can also find takeoff T3x stocks for well under $100. I got a CTR stock with bottom plastic for <$100 shipped. Can put it under a sporter-weight gun with appropriate magazine (10-rounders are ~$50 online and actually available). Total deal will be cheaper and lighter than buying a CTR.

The Canadian Ranger stock is laminate. Rough numbers on weight:

Boyd's pretty much any laminate stock: 2 lb, 8 oz (40 oz)
    Standard T3 poly stock: ~28 oz
    Lightest available aftermarket stocks, finished: ~19 oz (Two different makers at this level, neither are the commonly-known big names. I'm looking at the Wildcat brand out of Calgary, not the one from Oregon.)

So if you want a really easy to carry gun, you could go with a Superlite, which should be around 5 lb, 15 oz, and take another 9 oz off it with an aftermarket stock. Or just throw on a CTR stock and have a very lightweight 10-round bolt gun with mags that work and are only a few bucks more than a USP 45 mag.

I'm sure there are iron sights out there that could be added to a Tikka if you have to have them for less than the cost to get the Arctic gun.

LH CTR stocks might be harder to find.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List