Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Compliant Defensive Rifles in the 2020s

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    If someone made a "baby Garand" in 5.56 I would be willing to spend a pretty good chunk of change to get one, ban or no. As it is I really want a "tanker" Garand in .308.
    I wonder how hard it would be to make one based on a Mini-14?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be to make one based on a Mini-14?
    I have no idea but I would be interested in a "dress up kit" to make a Mini-14 or 30 into a baby Garand facsimile.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Inrange guys have noted that the traditional boltie battle rifle does generally fall short in a few areas:
    -Often too big and bulky
    -Bad sights, especially the irons on Mausers
    -Poor inherent accuracy, especially with the bad sights
    -Overpowered for general combat ranges
    -Hard to get a quick follow-up shot
    -Low capacity, and hard to reload quickly

In general, you have something that's too heavy, slow, and bulky for close in fighting (excepting as a spear), but not really accurate enough for long distance.

In an odd way, I think my answer would be a beefed up CZ 527 in .300 BO with optic, synthetic Manlichier style full stock, and AR style mags (flush fit, but able to take the bigger ones).

I predict that someone like Howa, Ruger or CZ will build a light bolt carbine complete with aperture rear sight, shrouded front sight, drilled for a rail and threaded for a can/ muzzle brake. The cartridge will probably be 300 BO or some 30 cal straight wall. It's almost time for the 30 carbine cartridge to reappear in a bolt rifle. It's good for 200 yds. I would consider buying a rifle like that. I already have a Howa Mini in .223 but it's more of a light weight stalking rifle with a 20" barrel. It didn't come with any iron sights. 5.56/.223 boomercracken isn't my idea of a good cartridge for a 100-200 yd SD carbine. Needs 30 cal. 2000 fps something or other.

Actually, this is a perfect opportunity for Hornady to introduce a new cartridge designed specifically for a lightweight scout type carbine. Introducing the new 30 FO.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-22-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    If a compact Mini-14 "Garand" using Garand like 'clips', I fear the clip vs magazine confusion would totally destroy any discussions on the gun related Internet.

It is an interesting idea. 10 round 223 clips in a compact gun. Pretty fast to reload but you can't top off with that system.

However, I would rather wait for the Gods of Scotus in their glacial time period to free us from these foul laws. I'll be dead before that happens, if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    If a compact Mini-14 "Garand" using Garand like 'clips', I fear the clip vs magazine confusion would totally destroy any discussions on the gun related Internet.

It is an interesting idea. 10 round 223 clips in a compact gun. Pretty fast to reload but you can't top off with that system.

However, I would rather wait for the Gods of Scotus in their glacial time period to free us from these foul laws. I'll be dead before that happens, if ever.
    With the M1 Garand you sort of can top off, but its a two handed operation of pulling the cocking handle back and holding it, then hitting the clip release (takes two hands for me), the clip and whatever rounds left in it come flying out, then the cocking handle/bolt will stay back and one can load another clip. There may be a more coordinated or graceful way to do it, and perhaps one handed, Ive not ever tried improving the technique other than catching the outgoing clip/rounds with the left hand over the top. It may also be easier with a mini 14 power slide spring, the M1 Garands are somewhat stronger springs.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    With the M1 Garand you sort of can top off, but its a two handed operation of pulling the cocking handle back and holding it, then hitting the clip release (takes two hands for me), the clip and whatever rounds left in it come flying out, then the cocking handle/bolt will stay back and one can load another clip. There may be a more coordinated or graceful way to do it, and perhaps one handed, Ive not ever tried improving the technique other than catching the outgoing clip/rounds with the left hand over the top. It may also be easier with a mini 14 power slide spring, the M1 Garands are somewhat stronger springs.
    If you hit the clip release and stop the clip w/the left hand before it ejects, leave it just partially up and let the bolt ride forward against the back of the clip, you can top it off with individual rounds like you would say a Rem 700 magazine. I don't see a LOT of uses for that but it can be done smoothly with a bit of practice.
    The 8th round can be a struggle with some guns but you can ride the bolt over the enbloc (holding now 7 rounds) and just drop #8 into the chamber and let fly the bolt. I don't see the need, but it can be done.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Thread cleaned up. Keep it technical and on topic. Politics goes in the politics sub-forum.

All of the mod staff is pretty busy in real life at the moment. If you think a thread should be locked, is off the rails, etc. don't just comment in the thread. We won't see it for awhile, most likely. Use the "report" button.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Another alternative is a bolt Cee Zed 527 carbine, available in .223 (but perfectly capable of using 5.56, which CZ stipulates to in writing) and 7.62 x 39 (which is what I personally chose-a significant factor for me is that in Washington 5.56/.223 is illegal for hunting deer while 7.62 X 39 is good to go), with nicely made and not ridiculously priced 5 round magazines (around $35-$40 a wack).

Another thought is that a bolt action while intrinsically tactically inferior to a semi-auto may become less inferior if you're operating in a 2-person team or larger squad, and have trained for mutiually supportive fire.

I'm figuring it'll do no harm to have a good, vetted bolt or two before things get politically moderately interesting and prices skyrockets and availability becomes transformed into unobtanioum. As others have mentioned, a M1/M1 variant/Mini-14/Ranch Rifle could be viable contenders too.

I'm still attracted to the detachable 10 round magazine of the Lee Enfield (which in actual practice is really semi-permanantly mounted, removed primarily only for cleaning and maintenance, with actual reloading bering performed via stripper clips, which are much less expensive and less bulky).

Best, Jon
    We aren't in Her Magesty's service, being herded by salty NCO's who cut their teeth in the trenches of the Somme. So we can buy and carry all the Lee Enfield magazines we choose and change them willy nilly without fear of company disipline : )

As nice as the 303 chargers are and they are very nice, there is utility in having multiple mags and changing them at times.
    The Canadian Rangers used several types of gear (kit?! to them) for that purpose from stand alone mag belts to LBE type setups.
    "Some of each" is my SMLE motto.
    I've heard several people say (type) "it's not made for frequent R&R, you'll wear things out", I've seen no abnormal rear on mags or mag catch after a lot of mag changes. The components are sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It's almost time for the 30 carbine cartridge to reappear in a bolt rifle. It's good for 200 yds. I would consider buying a rifle like that. I already have a Howa Mini in .223 but it's more of a light weight stalking rifle with a 20" barrel. It didn't come with any iron sights. 5.56/.223 boomercracken isn't my idea of a good cartridge for a 100-200 yd SD carbine. Needs 30 cal. 2000 fps something or other.

Actually, this is a perfect opportunity for Hornady to introduce a new cartridge designed specifically for a lightweight scout type carbine. Introducing the new 30 FO.
    I built an AR shaped rifle recently in .300Ham’r, a slightly longer .300Blk with a slower barrel twist not focused on heavy subsonic bullets. It hits 2,400fps with 130gr bullets and seems quite accurate. Wilson bills it as a “.30-30 that fits in an AR”.
    I think I may try rebarreling a Ruger American that takes AR magazines to Ham’r. Outfit it with peep sights and a short bit of rail for an RMR size sight, possibly provisions to attach a WML…

I have a M-98 Mauser that was cobbled together here in the US from surplus parts and a modern .308 barrel (Century Arms?) I bought it on a whim at a gun show, replaced the barley corn front sight with a square post and thoroughly enjoy shooting it. I’ve hit steel plates at 400+ yards, gave a friend with an M1a SOCOM a run for his money on steel from 50-150 yards one day, until I ran out of loaded stripper clips.

Let’s all hope we don’t get to the point we’re discussing flint lock vs wheel lock rifles.

Randy Cain runs a pretty nifty practical rifle class down in FL for those so inclined.... Cumberland Tactics.

https://www.guntactics.com/
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

User Tag List