Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB P365X for USPSA carry optics/open

Name:  302D35AE-5CD7-4037-94AE-9C7DEB4A0884.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  78.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Do you think God stays in heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?
    [emoji1787]

This experiment kicks my giggle box. I’m loving it. Thank you JCN.

AIWB P365X for USPSA carry optics / open

I know people hate on ProMags but the outer dimensions and followers are extremely similar to the stock magazines.

The other thing for me personally is that I have a bajillion reps with CZ75 140mm mags so the 20 rounders feel so familiar in my hands.

Check this out. It turns out dimensionally they are almost identical in the places you touch and load.

Name:  9362F4AA-6955-4EB2-8B9F-97E3DC09807A.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  FD038658-B76A-40B6-9E06-378F337E3A29.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  21.0 KB

So I think for that reason, if I’m going to game with a P365 I think I’m going to prefer the 20 rounders for reloading.

I ordered some more and have also ordered some 32 rounders to cut down to open length and see how many rounds I can get to work.

When I get my new 20 rounders and @CarlK ships me his, I’ll go through some mag troubleshooting and tuning concepts with them on this thread.

Carl was having issues with 147 HST that might not occur with round nose or even coated flat nose, so we will try working through those issues.

I partially bought more so I can experiment with mine before damaging his.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-08-2022 at 10:16 AM.

Oh my god, I think he’s still using that piece of shit holster. We should take up donations to buy him something better

Joking, if it works for you…
    #RESIST

20 rounders

As a point of reference, the 20 round magazines are 146mm without the basepad so can’t be used in CO without modifying the mag body that would reduce capacity.

Name:  DB0E76BA-0938-4640-9864-132CBFDA3A9F.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  66.5 KB

If you had to get CO legal mags you could probably cut the mag down and get 19.

That seems like a lot of work over the factory 15s.

When I cut down the 32 rounders you could apply that to the 20s in theory so hopefully that helps for the people who want to do that.

People may ask “what’s the point?” But even having a gaming close cousin of my carry gun will help index and other platform similar things.

Plus it’s fun. So I think most of the experimentation will be around an Open minor build because I still have some ego regarding my pistol shooting and I would love to be able to hang with my CO buddies using a semi carry gun even if it’s technically an Open gun. We all look at overall anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Oh my god, I think he’s still using that piece of shit holster. We should take up donations to buy him something better

Joking, if it works for you…
    Hehe. Were you talking about my holster because it’s a sidecar or because it’s appendix?

Name:  25BFEE3A-6C7D-44BE-B62C-C085477441EC.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  100.9 KB

It’s ~$150 holster from T.Rex Arms.

Some things regarding equipment:

1. Very few places have TLR7 holsters.
    2. T.Rex has them in stock and quick ship so from order placed to in my hands under a week.
    3. I require double clip wide attachments for stability and lateral torque resistance. The wider the clip spacing, the more stable it is under aggressive draws. You want the gun to be where it is, every single time.
    4. Sidecar holsters are the bomb for the critical first reload because it’s always in a consistent place relative to the gun. And it doesn’t rotate. So single mag pouches have tilt slop which makes it hard to be efficient and accurate.
    5. Not unique to this holster but it has separate retention for the gun and mag. Plus two points of retention that can be adjusted instead of a single point. That matters when you talk about draws and reloads.

The upper and lower retention points change the way the item “releases.” By going tighter on the lower and looser in the upper, it won’t shake or fall loose but with the initial slap it’ll then give and release easier on just a few mm of removal instead of continuing to drag all the way out of the holster / pouch.

More equipment considerations

Name:  A4EAF146-954F-4985-88CF-0D117D3A90BD.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  99.0 KB

I just got the double mag pouch in.

Orpaz for $27 shipped and was very pleasantly surprised.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17476427930...UAAOSwkhBgmW1n

Cant adjustable and retention adjustable.

Wide base double pouch so they don’t wobble.

I won’t do single standalone pouches due to the wobble and tilt factor.

Okay, this is what I’m going with for the time being.

This is the Open USPSA setup for now.

Name:  CA8DACA7-1CC4-4BD8-BF5F-58A02C24EA02.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  84.8 KB

When Empire makes a WC magwell, I’ll switch back.

1. P365 slide
    2. ISMI recoil spring assembly with coils cut and end cap removed to be an uncaptured setup.
    3. Armory Craft steel comp
    4. True threaded barrel (makes minor PF with Lawman).
    5. Boresight XL grip (I like the WC better)
    6. Empire katana magwell
    7. Vurwaapen extended mag release button
    8. Maple leaf RMSc cut slide with RMR adapter
    9. Trijicon SRO (2.5MOA but I prefer 5MOA), might switch to RMSX when they replace the defective units.
    10. Promag 20 round magazines with powdercoated wheel weights to help drop free and balance.
    11. T.Rex arms P365XL sidecar holster (for XL slides to fit compensator)
    12. Orpaz double mag pouch (cant adjustable).
    13. TLR-7

0.15 splits

Went to the range to test what the comfortable resonant recoil management frequency of the gun at 7 yard alphas was.

Seems like an easy 0.15 splits. It’s very comfortable.

What I mean by that is: how fast does the gun return to battery and can I trigger based on vision at that pace.

Some very fast guns return in 0.12 but are hard to time it on the “first bounce” so accurate splits are often 0.24 or more.

In this case, the gun returns in 0.15 and I’m able to trigger coordinate at that pace.

If you watch the slo mo you can see the next shot break as the gun returns. No double or triple oscillation before re-triggering.

Tuning mags

@CarlK

Is this the kind of jam you were experiencing?

I worked on some tuning solutions.

Have to torture test it a little bit to see if it holds up.

User Tag List