Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extra-Hard Primers in Recent Winchester NATO-spec 9x19?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Were these primers harder than usual or not fully seated?

Often a cartridge that requires a second strike results from a primer that isn't fully seated. The energy from the first strike is diminished by the primer moving and results in failure to fire. Examination of the cartridge after the first strike typically reveals what appears to be a fully seated primer (now it is) and a lighter than normal impact.
    I've had that happen with my handloads in the past, but never with factory ammo. Still, it's a possibility.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Minimum striker indent for 9mm NATO is 0.012" on COPPER, using the "C" size annealed .225x400" copper cylinder in the government gage holder.

Pacific Tool And Gage can provide both the gage holder and the coppers. Your best bet for ordering a small gunsmith test quantity if you are spending your own money and not Uncle Sugar's....
    @e_stern has mentioned that the Beretta spec for the 92 that affects trigger weight is a minimum indentation of a NATO-spec primer, rather than any measurement of the trigger press itself. Don't know if it's the same number as above.

On the main topic, I recently tried a lighter hammer spring in a semi. Lit 100% of HSTs, had lots of light strikes on Winchester WB 9mm. Several in a magazine, which was enough to call it a day. My plan was to use CCI to check it, but had a bunch of WWB already loaded in mags for practice. Going back up on spring weight, obviously.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

FWIW, I've used many thousands of rounds of the Winchester 9mm NATO. These primers, the IMI NATO and Winchester M1152 primers are the hardest small pistol primers I've encountered. The only time I ever had a failure to fire with any of these was when I tried to use a lighter mainspring in a couple guns. All very reliable ammo within my experience, but never intended for guns with trigger jobs, lighter mainsprings, etc...

User Tag List