Thread: Tracking Dot in Recoil

Tracking Dot in Recoil

Question for experienced dot folks...

Since we're supposed to be target focused while shooting with the dot, I assume it is best practice to stay target focused during recoil, and track the dot using peripheral vision. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Yes.

An exercise I have been doing is looking at the target, bringing the gun up and noticing what my eyes are doing. If my eyes are adjusting or I can feel a shift in my eyes/focus, I’m not target focused. I do a few reps at the range dry, then jump to single shots, then work to the same “relaxed eyes” with multiple shots and tracking the dot. Hard habit to break some days it seems, lots of time spent focused on something as far away as my hands at arms length. Just something I found in my own research and trials, ymmv.

In a class recently Cowan talked about a violent red line if shooting fast. So if I am doing a Bill Drill and shooting the rounds quickly I should see a solid red line running up and down. Similar to using a laser pointer and running it back and forth quickly. This helped me better understand what to see. He also talked about if the line is raising to the right or left, or straight up and back down. This can be used as an indication as to what is going on with your grip, too loose etc.

Thanks for the input guys.

Nothing significant to add to the above, except I did get some wisdom in another thread that helped me:

"The “price of admission” to shooting a dot is reliably acquiring the dot. Intermediate is understanding the dot doesn’t need to stop, just stay within the scoring area. Advanced is actually shooting looking at the target and not the dot."

-- @GJM

When I started, I was pretty much fascinated by this red thing, and watched it almost exclusively with a front sight focus (step 1) . As I've started shooting more now, my lizard brain has let go and I'm finding that I'm looking at the target more and not worried about the dot, but I do notice the wobble now (step 2). I am looking forward to the point where I start matches again this summer and I'll have more to worry about than where the dot is. Hopefully it will just appear as I am mowing down cardboard bad guys (step 3).

Yes, target focused all the time. And as long as the dot returns predictably, and centered in the window, it’s not a problem if it disappears during part of the recoil/return cycle.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, target focused all the time. And as long as the dot returns predictably, and centered in the window, it’s not a problem if it disappears during part of the recoil/return cycle.
    I'm pretty new to shooting a dot on a handgun, but I noticed this today when shooting one of my RMR'd Glocks. I was basically just blazing away through a couple mags, trying to see what the dot was doing in recoil, about as fast as I could recover the dot. I'd lose the dot out of the top of the window, but it'd drop back down on the bull, and I'd just send another, as long as it was in the black. "Shooting the streak" so to speak. I wasn't really shooting for accuracy, just getting a better feel for what going faster looks like. I was getting some low left hits, but mostly I think that's me on the trigger.

My grip is still crappy from shoulder surgery on my primary side in January, and now I'm battling a "frozen shoulder", and I feel like it really has effected my entire right arm. Pushing speed reveals it. I've been eyeballing some grip enhancing tools mentioned in the Gen 5 G26 thread... might be time to order them.

User Tag List