Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goon Tape

Goon Tape

Anybody tried this stuff? I’ve mostly only seen it in “tactical” photography but decided to try some to see if it would help the grip on my Glock 43x when my hands get sweaty in the summer heat.

I didn’t really have high expectations, but I figured for $7 off I didn’t like it I could wrap some knife sheath with it or something so they are more comfortable against my skin.

I got it in the mail earlier today and wrapped my dry fire G19 and so far I’m pleasantly surprised. I was able to build in just the slightest bit of palm swell and it has just the smallest bit of “squish” when I grip that feels like it really locks my hands in but doesn’t add any bulk.

I’ve spent loads of money on stipple jobs before that made the grip so rough that my hands would hurt after a class or long range day and would tear up my clothes, but really didn’t improve my grip much. It seems counterintuitive to me, but I’m thinking this might be able to achieve a better result by being softer instead of “grippier”.

I’m pretty interested to see how it holds up over time and how it does in the range. I’m not sure how it is any different than any athletic tape, but I’m hoping it holds up to heat and abuse better.

https://goontape.com/products/g00n-tape-1-roll

Should be a best seller in Ireland.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Looks suspiciously like rebranded hockey tape. The NHL-ish logo seems like a hat tip.

Which I have used with great success on a few knife handles and to keep the pressure pads on the Dept rifles in the cruisers. The Velcro always loses its stick on the handguard after a few sweltering summer days baking in the black car.

Somewhere around p-f we have a few pics of j frames with some squishy stuff added to the blackstrap and some hockey tape holding the works together.

It's hockey tape, the same stuff my grandson uses to help secure his pads.

@jandbj was quicker on the draw than I was.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Looks suspiciously like rebranded hockey tape. The NHL-ish logo seems like a hat tip.

Which I have used with great success on a few knife handles and to keep the pressure pads on the Dept rifles in the cruisers. The Velcro always loses its stick on the handguard after a few sweltering summer days baking in the black car.

Somewhere around p-f we have a few pics of j frames with some squishy stuff added to the blackstrap and some hockey tape holding the works together.
    Does the hockey tape leave any residue on the hands or on the object?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    That was my first thought too. I’m hoping this has some improved adhesive to hold up to heat better and that’s it’s not just marketing, but like I said for $7.99 it isn’t a huge gamble.

There is some slight stickiness in places so far, but I’ve heard that goes away after a few days.

If it will stay stuck without peeling for a month or two at a time that might be adequate since the roll is big enough to do multiple handguns multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Does the hockey tape leave any residue on the hands or on the object?
    Works well enough for the uses I put it to.

Short of my agency ponying up the $ for better white lights and mounting options, it quite literally is “duty-grade” for our rural LE usage. And it’s inexpensive enough to replace repeatedly if needed.

Convinced the Chief to finally get us Aimpoint Pro’s for the patrol rifles. A huge step forward from the Colt carry handles. I’ll take the victories where I can get them. And make do where I have to.

Looks exactly like Howies hockey tape, which has a self-sticking adhesive and a high thread count cotton base, and sells for three bucks. Nothing new here, we played with stuff like this in the 90’s. Works fine, but is a biohazard if you don’t change it out constantly

And Michael Corleone did it too, 50 years before…
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I was going to say it looks like gaffer tape but hockey tape is probably more accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gaffer+tape&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

That said gaffer tape is more about holding down cables and things temporarily so people don't trip over them so it's designed to not leave a residue on the cables.

Fun Fact On film/movie/theater productions the Chief Lighting Tech was also called a gaffer. The gaffer's lead assistant is called "best boy" so next time you're watching a movie and see best boy in the credits now you know he probably tabled a of lighting cables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Anybody tried this stuff? I’ve mostly only seen it in “tactical” photography but decided to try some to see if it would help the grip on my Glock 43x when my hands get sweaty in the summer heat.

I didn’t really have high expectations, but I figured for $7 off I didn’t like it I could wrap some knife sheath with it or something so they are more comfortable against my skin.

I got it in the mail earlier today and wrapped my dry fire G19 and so far I’m pleasantly surprised. I was able to build in just the slightest bit of palm swell and it has just the smallest bit of “squish” when I grip that feels like it really locks my hands in but doesn’t add any bulk.

I’ve spent loads of money on stipple jobs before that made the grip so rough that my hands would hurt after a class or long range day and would tear up my clothes, but really didn’t improve my grip much. It seems counterintuitive to me, but I’m thinking this might be able to achieve a better result by being softer instead of “grippier”.

I’m pretty interested to see how it holds up over time and how it does in the range. I’m not sure how it is any different than any athletic tape, but I’m hoping it holds up to heat and abuse better.

https://goontape.com/products/g00n-tape-1-roll

How has the Goon Tape been holding up? Still using it?
    --Jason--

User Tag List