Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "60 Minutes" hit-piece on the AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    My point was that the escalation in threads about trunk guns, light weight travel rifles, SBRs, pistol braces, etc. on this forum, a pistol forum, over the roughly 10 years that I’ve been here kinda speaks for itself.
    Well, those things are cool.

The fact that I have to stop myself from buying a collapsible sledgehammer like SouthNarc has is less a reflection of society and more of a reflection of the fact that despite being able to better justify wanting a machine gun that goes BRRRT than I could when I was 6 the impulse is sometimes not that different.

I wouldn't say everything about pistolcraft there is to figure out has been figured out here but it's not too far off-the technical discussion naturally plateaus and people turn to other topics.

Site Supporter

"60 Minutes" hit-piece on the AR-15

For those of you walking around with bag guns:

How quickly can you get the AR pistol into play as compared to your normal concealed carry handgun?

If not, then what role do you see the AR pistol playing?

(I do see a role for an AR pistol in a bag, but am not walking around with one as a part of my daily routine.)

If you cannot get the AR pistol into play, doesn’t it simply become one more complication to your response to trouble?

I have not seen the 60 minutes episode, but it is very easy to present factual information which is selected or presented in a manner which leads to a very inaccurate conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    "The AR15's bullet is designed to tumble on impact."

No it isn't. ALL pointed bullets yaw when they travel through soft tissues because the bullet's center of gravity is located closer to the base than the tip. When the bullet penetrates flesh the bullet seeks to achieve a state of stability by yawing 180 degrees to travel base forward.
    You misquoted her. She said, “This round is designed to tumble and break apart.” While the word yaw would be more technically accurate, tumble is a pretty close synonym for yaw directed at a lay audience.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    For those of you walking around with bag guns:

How quickly can you get the AR pistol into play as compared to your normal concealed carry handgun?

If not, then what role do you see the AR pistol playing?

(I do see a role for an AR pistol in a bag, but am not walking around with one as a part of my daily routine.)

If you cannot get the AR pistol into play, doesn’t it simply become one more complication to your response to trouble?

I have not seen the 60 minutes episode, but it is very easy to present factual information which is selected or presented in a manner which leads to a very inaccurate conclusion.

I’m not sure that anyone in this thread carries a rifle on a routine basis. I generally pack one in a pelican case (Rattler or X95) when driving on vacation, but it stays locked-up for the most part since I have little ones.

The 60 Minutes segment presented factual information that should lead to very obvious conclusions - a person armed with an AR15 is capable of killing a large number of people quickly which is why it has become the weapon of choice for mass shooters over the past 3 years.

What? Are we not supposed to acknowledge the obvious any more?

Acknowledging the obvious doesn’t mean we need to ban AR15s or other semiautomatic rifles. They are a vital tool that helps keep the retards in places like Portland, Minneapolis, and San Fran rather than my backyard. Rather than focus on the tool, address why members of our society have been allowed to become so detached from their obligations to their communities that mass murder seems reasonable. Banning the tool simply leads to tragedies with slightly lower body counts.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-21-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I’m not sure that anyone in this thread carries a rifle on a routine basis. I generally pack one in a pelican case (Rattler or X95) when driving on vacation, but it stays locked-up for the most part since I have little ones.

The 60 Minutes segment presented factual information that should lead to very obvious conclusions - a person armed with an AR15 is capable of killing a large number of people quickly which is why it has become the weapon of choice for mass shooters over the past 3 years.

Acknowledging the obvious doesn’t mean we need to ban AR15s or other semiautomatic rifles. They are a vital tool that helps keep the retards in places like Portland, Minneapolis, and San Fran rather than my backyard. Rather than focus on the tool, address why members of our society have been allowed to become so detached from their obligations to their communities that mass murder seems reasonable. Banning the tool simply leads to tragedies with slightly lower body counts.
    Exactly. The rifle has been sold to the public since the '60's. The fact that it's become "popular" for killers in the "last 3 three years" means that the rifle is not the problem and they are portraying it as just that. That IS the problem whether they throw some actual facts in the mix or not. To ignore that is at one's own peril as a gun owner and that is precisely what the media wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Exactly. The rifle has been sold to the public since the '60's. The fact that it's become "popular" for killers in the "last 3 three years" means that the rifle is not the problem and they are portraying it as just that. That IS the problem whether they throw some actual facts in the mix or not. To ignore that is at one's own peril as a gun owner and that is precisely what the media wants.

The fact that it's become "popular" for killers in the "last 3 three years" means that the rifle is not the problem and they are portraying it as just that.

The real problem is that 60 Minutes just did the program on this and informed some poor aggrieved person that in order to do it like all the cool kids they need to get an AR.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    The real problem is that 60 Minutes just did the program on this and informed some poor aggrieved person that in order to do it like all the cool kids they need to get an AR.
    Does anyone other than geriatric boomers watch 60 Minutes though? That's not really the mass-shooter demographic.

Site Supporter

In drawing your conclusion, you added other information which I doubt was presented. After being presented with the facts which were discussed in the program, in the absence of additional information, most viewers will be lead to a very different conclusion.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    They stopped being relevant when they wired model rocket engines into a crash demonstration of a Chevy pickup because they couldn't get their desired result of an inferno all the times they did the crash and there was no fire.
    That was NBC, not CBS. Easy mistake to make since the lack of integrity is identical. The difference is that back in 1993, people got fired for faking news; today they are celebrated.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That was NBC, not CBS. Easy mistake to make since the lack of integrity is identical. The difference is that back in 1993, people got fired for faking news; today they are celebrated.
    You're right.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/10/u...propriate.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List