Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "60 Minutes" hit-piece on the AR-15

Site Supporter
    The claim that ARs are the most commonly used firearms for mass shooters is not correct. Mother Jones' database tracks mass shootings and weapon type. Handguns remain the most commonly used firearm. https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nes-full-data/

Site Supporter
    Is there a breakdown somewhere of the gun used in each and the capacity of the magazines for those said guns? I'm sure there is.

I will note that that arguing that you can do equivalent damage with lower capacity guns, just raises the specter of banning those also. Hey, Jerry M. can shoot a revolver, real fast so let me have a Glock. NO - ban the revolver also.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Is there a breakdown somewhere of the gun used in each and the capacity of the magazines for those said guns? I'm sure there is.

I will note that that arguing that you can do equivalent damage with lower capacity guns, just raises the specter of banning those also. Hey, Jerry M. can shoot a revolver, real fast so let me have a Glock. NO - ban the revolver also.
    Somewhere in here, maybe?

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...60121.pdf/view
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The claim that ARs are the most commonly used firearms for mass shooters is not correct. Mother Jones' database tracks mass shootings and weapon type. Handguns remain the most commonly used firearm. https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nes-full-data/
    They never made that claim. In fact, they specifically said that murders by handgun far outstrip rifles in terms of raw numbers. They even noted that the AR15 is rarely used in crime. Their claim is that the AR15 is disproportionately represented the nation’s worst mass shootings over the past several years.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    They never made that claim. In fact, they specifically said that murders by handgun far outstrip rifles in terms of raw numbers. They even noted that the AR15 is rarely used in crime. Their claim is that the AR15 is disproportionately represented the nation’s worst mass shootings over the past several years.
    Right, but disproportionate compared to what? Not as their share of annual firearm sales.

If they're saying compared to other firearm homicides, that's true, but it doesn't mean very much. Handguns have specific utility for other crimes.

Making the claim that the AR15 is the arbitrary choice of mass shooters is as disingenuous and ill conceived as stating Kleenex is the arbitrary choice of those with a cold.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Right, but disproportionate compared to what? Not as their share of annual firearm sales.

If they're saying compared to other firearm homicides, that's true, but it doesn't mean very much. Handguns have specific utility for other crimes.
    My take after watching it a couple of times is that the producers are comparing the types of firearms being used in the deadliest mass shootings over the past few years. That is to say, if you look at the top ten body count producers who used a firearm over the past 4 years, an AR produced a disproportionately high number of those deaths or was used in a disproportionately high number of those shootings. A key aspect to the veracity of this thesis is their qualifier of the time frame as many deadly shooting before 2010 didn’t involve an AR.

I’ve looked at the data several ways and it appears that their thesis is correct when examined from different angles. If you look at raw numbers of bodies, the AR15 is disproportionately involved in those deaths largely due to high body count events such as the Las Vegas, Parkland, and similar tragedies that involved an AR. If you consider each shooting as an individual event, the disparity is less impressive but still there even when strictly defining an AR. That is to say, I wouldn’t put Orland in the AR category because an MCX is technically not an AR. The only accuracy issue that I see stems from the fact that some shooters used more than 1 type of firearm and it is impossible for me to determine the contribution of each gun.

Again, I’m not debating the significance or importance of the report. I’m only examining it for accuracy. I can’t find much in the way of distortions or misleading statements which is what I need for something to qualify in my mind as a hit piece. YMMV
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-22-2021 at 10:10 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Does anyone other than geriatric boomers watch 60 Minutes though? That's not really the mass-shooter demographic.
    Get what you're saying - I'm a boomer, as to geriatric, I'm not sure. I have watched ANY show like 60 Minutes, regardless of political slant for almost two decades.

To my point, the 24 hour media certainly publicizes these things - therefore, the poor aggrieved folks indeed do know what the scores are and what the cool kids are using.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I would tend to suspect that video games have more to do with what the kids are using over what is on the broadcast media reports.

I would also strongly disagree that those ebil FPS games cause the problem.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You misquoted her. She said, “This round is designed to tumble and break apart.” While the word yaw would be more technically accurate, tumble is a pretty close synonym for yaw directed at a lay audience.
    While I may have misquoted her, the bullet is not "designed" to tumble and break apart. All pointed nonexpanding rifle bullets yaw 180 degrees in soft tissues for the reason I stated previously. The cannelure, designed for the case mouth to be crimped into to hold the bullet in place, weakens the jacket. At velocities above 2500 fps the bullet will break apart at the cannelure when the bullet yaws through 90 degrees. None of this was the design intent of the bullet - it was just happenstance that was discovered and documented by Fackler in the 1980's. It applies to both M193 and M855 bullets.

User Tag List