Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "60 Minutes" hit-piece on the AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I actually watched it. By 60 Min standards, it was fairly accurate. What specifically made it a “hit piece?”
    I think the point is that 60 Minutes has a leftist political agenda and has had one for a long while. I've been watching the show longer than you have been alive. This is not a general investigatory piece but a segment designed to worry people about AR-15s and motivate them to support a political position. They editorialize by virtue of what they select to cover and how they cover it. Notice that the segment did not contain any accounts of people who defended themselves against multiple home invaders even though such events have occurred.

You won't see 60 Minutes doing a story about how the elimination of most bail in NY has resulted in many arrested criminals being released without bail, and then going on to commit further crimes because it does not further their political agenda, nor the politicians who they support--like NY Governor Andrew Cuomo who spearheaded the elimination of cash bail in NY State.
    Last edited by Ed L; 06-30-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I will note that that arguing that you can do equivalent damage with lower capacity guns, just raises the specter of banning those also. Hey, Jerry M. can shoot a revolver, real fast so let me have a Glock. NO - ban the revolver also.
    I hate it when I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    This is not a general investigatory piece but a segment designed to worry people about AR-15s and motivate them to support a political position. They editorialize by virtue of what they select to cover and how they cover it.
    Extremely well said. My wife found a “news” article on Facebook regarding a shooting incident in the city - this “news” article told of the people injured, but did not include information on the suspects or motive and then concluded with a suggestion of how the proliferation of firearms is causing these issues.

So you’re telling me people were injured, not telling me WHY they were injured or WHO perpetrated the injury and then surreptitiously suggesting that firearms and current policy are to blame. And if/when it turns out it was tied to gang violence and illegally gotten weapons? A bunch of fucking cunts these “journalists” are.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

There's a bunch of propaganda tricks in common media use, and it can be an interesting game to spot them.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List