Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great one and only concealed 9mm for Medium Sized Hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

How the gun feels in your hand actually isn't a good indicator. Many people gravitate to small, ergonomically shaped grips, but functionally a larger more square-shaped grip tends to work better for many advanced shooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    In fact, how it feels in your hand when you are standing in the gun shop with money burning a hole in your pocket is often in inverse proportion to how it will feel to you after the second range session.
    I wish this sentiment was required to be placed on a large flashing sign in front of every gun counter in the land.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I wish this sentiment was required to be placed on a large flashing sign in front of every gun counter in the land.
    And the only way around it is to shoot, shoot, shoot. Rentals or with the help of others.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by spazatak View Post
    Hello folks new here..

I own a Benelli Nova but also need a 9mm concealed pistol for self-defense. I don't have allot of time to target shoot atm because I live alone and am busy with two as-is properties and to many possessions. But I had a 22 when I was a teen, almost scored sharp shooter the first time I picked up a 45 in boot camp, and have shot my sons AK's etc. so it's not like I've never shot a gun. I can shoot at my property in the sticks, but its 45 minutes away.

But frankly, I don't know squat about what's available and hope I can get some recommendations because I'm tempted to order online because there's not to many gun shops in liberal Iowa City.

Someone on a different forum suggested a Sig P365 XL which looks like a great pistol. But what I don't like is the fact the grip is so short, your pinky finger doesn't grip it. I wear a medium glove (8 1/4" around, 7" length) and my hands and stature is the reason my score went down the more I shot the large powerful 45 in boot camp.

Considering I don't need or want more than two guns, I really don't have a price limit. But I don't want anything flashy bling bling. Just a super reliable, accurate no frills, minimalist semi auto pistol that fits my hand like a medium glove. Suggestions?

Thanks!
    I have size M hands (8 1/8") and have gone through 14 pistols over the last 6 years before settling on my current CCW choice. But before I offer an unqualified opinion, some questions?

How do you carry at the moment? (trying to understand your current frame of reference -- it's ok if the answer is "I don't carry at the moment").

What holster would you use to carry this pistol concealed and where on your person would you carry it?

Do you have a preference for hammer or striker fired?

How would you describe your eyesight? Corrected vision i.e. glasses or contacts?

Get a Glock 26 or Glock 19 and you will be good to go.
    I would not get a slim line (43X P365 etc.) without presenting and shooting it a good bit first.

Glock 19 or HK VP9.

If you want a manual safety, consider BH Spring Solutions' TSSG.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....glock-by-rdih/

Best, Jon

As you are looking be aware that most manufacturers have gotten smart enough that their longer mags will work in the gun originally equipped w/ short mags. For instance my M&P compact came w/ 12 rnd mag but I carry w/ either 14 or 15 and my spare mag is 17. I use a sleeve to fill in the space.
    https://x-grips.com/

I live in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area. There are some good shops here, even if they aren’t actually in IC (aside from Fin and Feather in IC and Scheels in Coralville, neither of which are my first choice). Try Midwest Shooter’s Supply up in Hiawatha - they have an indoor range and rental guns. There’s also Cedar Valley Outfitters in Marion - no rental but a good selection considering the times and good people to work with.

Even ordering online, you’re going to have to have a local FFL for the transfer.

Also if you’re in or around Iowa City, the West Liberty gun club isn’t far from you and is a great place for outdoor shooting once you have a gun. PM me if you want more details.

Edit - sorry Gato, commented before realizing you had beat me to it (also didn’t know you were a local). I’ll leave this unedited as a second endorsement of these places.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m going to be a contrarian. I find I shoot and conceal a Glock 26 considerably better than a 19. A 26 with a SCD as mentioned above and both standard (for concealment) and extended (for full hand support) magazines would serve you well.

I actually agree. In my opinion, the Glock 26 is pretty close to perfect. Very shootable, easy to conceal in a variety of ways, reliable 10 round mags, etc.

If there was a quality, especially quality factory, manual safety for Glocks, the 26 would be my EDC.

Even with out a manual safety, the Glock can be safely carried. Just need proper training, discipline, a good holster and an SCD. The SCD is a requirement for me.

I agree with @TheNewbie about the Glock 26. It might be the most gun in the smallest package. It's actually the only Glock I carry fairly regularly right now, when I need a smaller gun than my trusty P-07. However, the 26 feels really odd in most people's hands and it often takes time to trust that you can shoot it well. Even with its stubby 2-fingered grip, the 26 is capable of remarkable accuracy and speed. But, I still think the 19 is the gold standard for defensive handguns.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree with @TheNewbie about the Glock 26. It might be the most gun in the smallest package. It's actually the only Glock I carry fairly regularly right now, when I need a smaller gun than my trusty P-07. However, the 26 feels really odd in most people's hands and it often takes time to trust that you can shoot it well. Even with its stubby 2-fingered grip, the 26 is capable of remarkable accuracy and speed. But, I still think the 19 is the gold standard for defensive handguns.

What makes you pick the 19 over the 26 as the Gold Standard?

If only CZ made slime line or Glock 26 version of the P-07. Could you imagine?

User Tag List