Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Great one and only concealed 9mm for Medium Sized Hand?

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    In addition to the local-ish recommendations from @Caballoflaco, consider blocking off a day to drive a couple of hours west. Johnston has Crossroads Shooting Sports, which is a nice indoor facility with a bunch of stuff in the rental case. Central Iowa Impact in Boone is smaller and generally doesn't have a lot of inventory but they also have some rentals.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

I bought a 9mm DW TCP today..

Name:  IMG_1656.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  92.2 KB
    And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @spazatak I found two shooting ranges less than an hour from Iowa city where you could rent some different guns and probably find instruction as well. I think that investing a day going to one of those ranges and renting a few guns would be well worth your while. Please don’t take my recommendation for training as an insult, anytime we don’t do something for a long period of time some refresher training is a good idea. That’s especially true if it’s something that could have fatal consequences if we make a mistake. I doubt you would want to get in a plane piloted by someone who hadn’t flown in 25 years.

The first is Midwest Shooting supply. They’re located at 1490 Ketelsen Drive, Hiawatha, IA 52233.

Google maps shows it’s a 35min drive from a not exact location of Iowa city.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Iowa...f232ca9105!3e0

Here’s a link to their intro to shooting class. I bet it would be well worth the $89 to take, and you could even use a rental handgun if you decide to take a class before you buy something.

http://midwestshootingsupply.com/cla...l-the-trigger/

The second location is Davenport Guns. Their address is 3701 Mississippi Ave. Davenport, IA 52807

Google maps shows that it’s about an hour from where you live.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Iowa...06dfeafab6!3e0

Davenport Guns also offers a range of beginners classes that start at $25 for 3.5 hours of instruction including live fire.
    https://davenportguns.com/project/tr...read-me-first/
    Absolutely none taken Caballoflaco.. Sometimes text is received in a different vibe than it was sent in. It's happened many times including texting with my GF.

Ive already contacted my local gun club and asked for recommendations where I can take a hand gun safety course.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I walked away from 1911s as defensive pistols decades ago because I felt that while they were magnificent for shooting, they weren’t the best threat management tools. Since that time I’ve become more comfortable with them again, to the point they are back in carry rotation. I may come to the point where I walk away from other choices for carry because I recognize carrying multiple diverse guns is far from optimal.

If I were in your position, I would be looking at the following guns in this order - and I would try really hard to shoot them first.

1) SIG P365XL or P365X, manual safety version - you could also get a smaller optional grip module and magazines if desired
    2) Glock 26 with SCD - preferably the new MOS version
    3) Glock 48 MOS with SCD
    4) Glock 43x MOS with SCD

You mentioned above that your past service experience with the size of the 1911 grip was bad, so I’m leaving them off the list.
    I don't remember which pistol that was in basic considering it was about 37 years ago. But it was a 45.

The people over on a 1911 forum assured me that a 1911 is no more dangerous than a glock. From what a police officer told me there, more people shoot themselves with glocks than 1911's , and that it's all about safety training and practice.

Ive read some disturbing things on right wing and uncensored sites lately and I'll admit, I got caught up in a few. In reality, Ive never witnessed any crimes where I felt I needed a pistol. But have read about some home invasions here in Iowa City, but there's only been ten in the last 13 years. The likelihood of someone invading my home which is in a great neighborhood miles from I80, and me needing to defend myself is super low. So the TCP will probably only be used for plinking around on my bug out property.
    Last edited by spazatak; 08-22-2022 at 05:30 AM.
    And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Quote Originally Posted by spazatak View Post
    Absolutely none taken Caballoflaco.. Sometimes text is received in a different vibe than it was sent in. It's happened many times including texting with my GF.

Ive already contacted my local gun club and asked for recommendations where I can take a hand gun safety course.

I don't remember which pistol that was in basic considering it was about 37 years ago. But it was a 45.

The people over on a 1911 forum assured me that a 1911 is no more dangerous than a glock. From what a police officer told me there, more people shoot themselves with glocks than 1911's , and that it's all about safety training and practice.

Ive read some disturbing things on right wing and uncensored sites lately and I'll admit, I got caught up in a few. In reality, Ive never witnessed any crimes where I felt I needed a pistol. But have read about some home invasions here in Iowa City, but there's only been ten in the last 13 years. The likelihood of someone invading my home which is in a great neighborhood miles from I80, and me needing to defend myself is super low. So the TCP will probably only be used for plinking around on my bug out property.
    I agree, they aren’t any more dangerous than a Glock. You just need to be clean with your trigger and safety discipline - off target = safety on. Train well, and do classes if you can.

If we worked off absolute probabilities when we planned, we would all be leaving our doors unlocked and would throw away our fire extinguishers. The possibility of a defensive situation exists. But now you also have a recreational pistol that is good for defense.

Nice pistol! It’s a cousin of my 9mm and .45 pair - they are ECPs, like yours but with a bobtail grip frame.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by spazatak View Post
    I bought a 9mm DW TCP today..

Name:  IMG_1656.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  92.2 KB
    Man, based on the original post I was gonna say maybe an M&P Shield Plus or P365XL but you went FANCY with it.

Dan Wesson makes a very good gun. I think you'll be happy.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

One thing for sure, you won't be disappointed with the trigger. The only down side I see is you've set yourself up to dislike the triggers on just about everything except a 1911.

Great choice.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List