Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great one and only concealed 9mm for Medium Sized Hand?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What makes you pick the 19 over the 26 as the Gold Standard?

If only CZ made slime line or Glock 26 version of the P-07. Could you imagine?
    "slime line" LOL! Yes, G26/p30SK a double stack subcompact version would be awesome. I'm not convinced that the elegant, simple, and reliable action of the P-07/09 could fit into a singlestack.

Why is the G19 the gold standard? It does it all. It can be a duty gun for LE or military, a CCW, or even hold its own in competition. The 19 is big enough for a weapon mounted light. It fits full capacity 15-round magazines. Most people can shoot it fairly well with minimal training. And it's actually quite compact.

Nothing wrong with the 26, but IMO it's more of a niche gun. That might mean it's a better choice--just not the gold standard.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Spazatak,

I have realized that any inquiry on this board will get a Glock 19 recommendation. And it is not a bad choice. But not the only one. I have a Glock 43 for pocket carry, but there are better choices for when I care to wear a belt and holster. I have a S&W Plastic M&P in lieu of the usual Glock 19, not to mention my 40+ year old Commander.

If you don't have a convenient store, you can do side by side comparison of pictures at
    https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...glock-g19-gen5

If you find the grip short, there are pinkie hook magazine bases for most models.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Glock 26

Glock 26 with striker control device and either 19 or 17 length magazines with X-grip adapters.

Reason being that the OP doesn’t and won’t shoot much and isn’t interested in owning many guns.

So having a competent small gun you can turn into a bigger gun would be more versatile.

Name:  836355C0-1F83-4606-89D4-6444BAD96692.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  86.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Unless your hands are giant like a pack of bananas, or little kid tiny, a Glock 19 will be fine. They come with backstraps to add depth.

I wear S or M Mechanix gloves, and use a G19 with no backstrap.

How the gun feels in your hand actually isn't a good indicator. Many people gravitate to small, ergonomically shaped grips, but functionally a larger more square-shaped grip tends to work better for many advanced shooters.
    Just wanted to reinforce what @Clusterfrack said. My hands are somewhat smaller than medium, and gripping a standard-size Glock, I have to rotate my strong-side hand a bit to get enough finger on the trigger for a straight back press. I avoided buying a Glock for years because they just didn't feel "right" in the shop. Finally did, and it's been fine. Even with what's probably a less than optimal grip, I can index it very well. As I can a 1911, which was my go-to for decades. Pretty sure it's the flat sides on both.

I'm going to disagree and say you should get a Glock 19.

If the P365XL grip is just a bit too short for you, the G19 is likely to be close to perfect.

If you just don't want to own a GLOCK for whatever reason, I'd look for a CZ P07 (hammer fired) or P10C (striker); or S&W M&P 2.0 Compact. The HK VP9 is another great pistol, but the grip is going to be a bit long for concealment, in my experience. The G26 is obviously much more concealable than the G19, but, unless you're using extended magazines, the grip is going to be WAY too short for you (much shorter than the XL).

I seriously dislike GLOCKs. But I just arranged to pick up my 3rd G19 on Wed from the local LE supply place - this one going for direct milling for an optic...

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Edit - sorry Gato, commented before realizing you had beat me to it (also didn’t know you were a local). I’ll leave this unedited as a second endorsement of these places.
    Heck, I'm glad you seconded things! This old cat still has family ties to the area - more CR than IC - and I visit all the shops when I am in the area... I just don't buy much anymore!
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

“Just get a Glock 19”

Even if you don’t like it. It’s still the right choice.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    9mm S&W Shield with an 8-round magazine should be good. If you want a thumb safety, they're an option on the Shields (unlike the Glocks).
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Another +1 for a Glock 19. I wear small/medium gloves and OK using Glock 19 without any back straps.
    Glock 43x/48 - while solid choices they are a bit "snappier" than a Glock 19.

I'mma go with Glock 19 too.

For one, it's pretty much a generic firearm at this point. So, pretty much every instructor, range officer, match RSO, and so on is familiar with them. Pretty much ever single gunshop carries parts and accessories in stock. And pretty much every single slide miller can cut in an optic if you want to go that way, and every good holster maker has holster that fit as a quick ship product.

It's small enough to be concealed without too much trouble (even under a tshirt with the right belt and holster), but big enough to be pleasant to shoot.

And as a general rule, it will perform better than you can as a shooter, unless you shoot it a whole lot, like 'case of ammo a month or more' lot. At which point, you'll have a really good idea of what might work better- or just stick to what you got.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List