Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Great one and only concealed 9mm for Medium Sized Hand?

Great one and only concealed 9mm for Medium Sized Hand?

Hello folks new here..

I own a Benelli Nova but also need a 9mm concealed pistol for self-defense. I don't have allot of time to target shoot atm because I live alone and am busy with two as-is properties and to many possessions. But I had a 22 when I was a teen, almost scored sharp shooter the first time I picked up a 45 in boot camp, and have shot my sons AK's etc. so it's not like I've never shot a gun. I can shoot at my property in the sticks, but its 45 minutes away.

But frankly, I don't know squat about what's available and hope I can get some recommendations because I'm tempted to order online because there's not to many gun shops in liberal Iowa City.

Someone on a different forum suggested a Sig P365 XL which looks like a great pistol. But what I don't like is the fact the grip is so short, your pinky finger doesn't grip it. I wear a medium glove (8 1/4" around, 7" length) and my hands and stature is the reason my score went down the more I shot the large powerful 45 in boot camp.

Considering I don't need or want more than two guns, I really don't have a price limit. But I don't want anything flashy bling bling. Just a super reliable, accurate no frills, minimalist semi auto pistol that fits my hand like a medium glove. Suggestions?

Thanks!
    And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Going on you constraint of 9mm and 'carry concealed' and 'don't want pinky hanging off'

I'd push the easy button and go with a Glock 48 or a Glock 19. If AIWB maybe the 43X for the slightly shorter slide.

I don't have a 43X, but I do have a 43, several 19's and a 48. All carry okay IWB, I don't do AIWB because I like my junk even if it is old.

Glocks are pretty much a default for most folks. You will have no problem finding accessories such as holsters, magazine pouches, magazine extensions/extended magazines, and aftermarket sights.

If it was my choice I'd go Glock 48.

Just in case:

AIWB - appendix inside waistband;

IWB - inside waistband.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    This question comes up a lot from people who are new to the forum, and the consensus answer is a Glock 19, preferably a Gen5 pistol. Other pistols deserve some consideration too though.

Hammer-fired options include:
    CZ P-07
    HK P30 or P30SK
    Beretta PX4 compact

Striker-fired options include:
    Glock 19 (or maybe a 48, which has a 10 round capacity)
    S&W M&P 2.0 compact
    Beretta APX centurion (likely the cheapest option on the list)
    H&K VP9
    Sig P320

All of the above are bigger than the P365XL. People tend to overthink the decision simply because there's no way to really know what's best for you without shooting several pistols enough to get a decent feel for each one and data on which you shoot best. The Glock 19 might not be the "best" for you, but it's also definitely not the wrong choice unless you know you don't want a striker-fired gun.

A Glock 19 with a Striker Control Device is my recommendation for a safe, reliable, capable handgun. It's the industry standard defensive handgun. The SCD adds a layer of safety to Glocks that I very much appreciate. All of mine have them.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-20-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I wear medium size gloves, and all 3 fingers fit the grip of my Sig P365 (not the XL) when I use 12 round magazines, making it about the same size as an XL.

G19 is also a good choice.

Most important questions: what is your typical mode of dress? Are we talking about ordinary concealed carry or something requiring really high discretion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I will pile on the Glock 19 bandwagon, unless you want a thumb safety, then I recommend a Smith M&P compact.

Is there a range with rentals you can try?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Thanks!

I'm surprised even a great pistol manufacturer like glock does not have a hand size guide, or at least that I can find.. Do you any of you folks wear a medium glove?

I'll start calling my local gun shops to see if any of them have either the 43X or 19. Is the slimline and worth looking at? Considering everyone is out of stock I guess I shouldn't be picky as long as I have one with ammo by september.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Is there a range with rentals you can try?
    Not that I'm aware of as Iowa city is very liberal. I cant wait to move out to my bugout property in conservative Iowa county.

Name:  IMG_0711.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  100.8 KB
    Last edited by spazatak; 06-13-2021 at 10:55 PM.
    And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Quote Originally Posted by spazatak View Post
    I'm surprised even a great pistol manufacturer like glock does not have a hand size guide, or at least that I can find.. Do you any of you folks wear a medium glove?

I'll start calling my local gun shops to see if any of them have either the 43X or 19. Is the slimline and worth looking at? Considering everyone is out of stock I guess I shouldn't be picky as long as I have one with ammo by september.
    Unless your hands are giant like a pack of bananas, or little kid tiny, a Glock 19 will be fine. They come with backstraps to add depth.

I wear S or M Mechanix gloves, and use a G19 with no backstrap.

How the gun feels in your hand actually isn't a good indicator. Many people gravitate to small, ergonomically shaped grips, but functionally a larger more square-shaped grip tends to work better for many advanced shooters.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by spazatak View Post

Not that I'm aware of as Iowa city is very liberal. I cant wait to move out to my bugout property in conservative Iowa county.
    You could try Midwest Shooting not too far north of you in Hiawatha for range/rental/sales, and Cedar Valley Outfittters in Marion for sales; well worth making the trip (though inventory is low right now), and it will at least get you out of IC for a couple of hours. If you don't mind more driving time on I-380, there is MR Guns in Cedar Falls.

My $0.02: Glock 19 if you want utter simplicity, Beretta PX4 if you want some controls. And as Clusterfrack sez: "How the gun feels in your hand actually isn't a good indicator." In fact, how it feels in your hand when you are standing in the gun shop with money burning a hole in your pocket is often in inverse proportion to how it will feel to you after the second range session.

Rentals can be a godsend.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I’m going to be a contrarian. I find I shoot and conceal a Glock 26 considerably better than a 19. A 26 with a SCD as mentioned above and both standard (for concealment) and extended (for full hand support) magazines would serve you well.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List