Thread: Thoughts on Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite Red Dot

Thoughts on Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite Red Dot

Okay... I'm grabbing a MK IV 22/45 lite suppressor host, and I'd love to know what you all think would be the best optic to go with for this gun. No need for a holster or ccw, so doesn't need to be as small. I've seen folks running things like T-1s and T-2s on them. May have something to do with it being easier to mount those on the pic rail on top? I'd love to hear people's thoughts and reasons for what folks might be using on their .22s that lack a reciprocating slide and why.

I recently bought a .22/45, though the standard bull barrel model (lacks a rail from the factory) and not the Lite. I did that deliberately. While it’s certainly shootable, I find the height over bore to be a bit obnoxious relative to my other dot pistols when shooting with a rail mounted dot.

I went with one of these mounts and a Bushnell RXS250 on mine.

https://maddmacsprecisiontactical.com/index.html

Name:  4D5F698D-C88B-4912-9F47-47EB27197423.jpg
Views: 4952
Size:  65.0 KB

If the old Aimpoint Ruger mounts were still made, I’d also consider a T1-style optic. But again, height over bore.

I don’t think there’s a real need for a super high end optic on these sorts of guns unless you a) want it or b) plan on using it for field/backcountry use. I felt the RXS250 was worth a try, as it has some features which appeal to me. Initial impressions are good but it’s not exactly leading a rough life.
    Last edited by ssb; 06-13-2021 at 05:48 PM.

I wanted to go as low as possible and opted for the Madd Macs as well. Here is a Riton MPRD, but a Swampfox Sentinel would also work well. I've got that on my Smith .22 Compact.

Name:  20201231_173053.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  31.9 KB

The Riton MPRD turns off after 12 hrs I believe, and can be found for about $199 vs the Sentinel at $239. On a game gun, the Shake Awake of the Sentinel M is moot in my opinion and the sharp lines of the don't look as clean. They offer a Manual and auto adjust option as well. The rounded profile of the MPRD presents better for me. They both use the RMSc footprint.

Riton also offers a PRD with an included pic mount. I have been toying with getting rid of mine.

Here's the rear view of the MPRD:

Name:  Resized_20210418_104717.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  29.0 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

There are several low pro mounts out there that are direct mount if you didn't want to use the rail. For instance -

https://lobos-industries.com/product...-rmr-footprint
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I'm running a Primary Arms on mine

I don't find the height over bore objectionable BUT I'm not gaming with it on a regular basis or using it as a trainer. If I were, I'd be looking at a setup similar to the ones posted above. I had a Burris Fast Fire II on it for a little bit but didn't like it. The window felt cramped and I hated the auto-brightness. Our firing line is covered but the targets aren't. That led to the dot going full bright because it was picking up the bright sun at the target which bothered my eyes after a bit.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I like the C-More Railway. For Steel Challenge I use a 12 MOA dot. For Bullseye I substitute a 3 MOA. The polymer Railway is about $279 direct from C-More so it's not that expensive and mine have lasted years. The dot is brighter than any other I have tried and will not wash out in the sun.

I was looking at the MaddMacs mounts on the idea of putting together a 22/45 tactical setup. For me this would have heavy utility/backcountry application, so I was going to go with an RMR and will also have an X200 on the front rail. Curious to know others' experience with mount positioning RE over ejection port vs behind. Does behind the ejection port lead to potential buildup of dirt/brass hitting the optic; especially in suppressed applications?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post

I like the C-More Railway. For Steel Challenge I use a 12 MOA dot. For Bullseye I substitute a 3 MOA. The polymer Railway is about $279 direct from C-More so it's not that expensive and mine have lasted years. The dot is brighter than any other I have tried and will not wash out in the sun.
    My Rugers want me to learn to focus on just a few platforms so they can grow up to be just like yours.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List