Thread: SPRIRC Report Recommends Gun Ban for Soldiers Under 25

SPRIRC Report Recommends Gun Ban for Soldiers Under 25

The Suicide Prevention and Response Independent Review Committee (SPRIRC) was set up to do exactly what its name suggests, and its report recommends gun ban for soldiers under 25

This “suicide prevention” approach could be used as an excuse to introduce draconian anti-gun rules in the military, which could then be used to introduce civilian anti-gun legislation.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editori...an-guns/469728

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The Suicide Prevention and Response Independent Review Committee (SPRIRC) was set up to do exactly what its name suggests, and its report recommends gun ban for soldiers under 25

This “suicide prevention” approach could be used as an excuse to introduce draconian anti-gun rules in the military, which could then be used to introduce civilian anti-gun legislation.

It's for the children...
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Interesting. So no government issued firearms until they reach E-6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    They'd better ban alcohol, personally owned motor vehicles, OTC medications, illegal drugs (whups, those are already banned!), 550 cord, rope, bootlaces, box cutters, extension cords, straight razors, bowie knives, tall buildings, and bridges while they're at it.

Imagine if they spent all that effort looking at the causes within the military instead of simply the means.....

Nah, then CSM's and BDE Commanders wouldn't be able to bitch about Soldiers not completing a whole year's worth of medical and readiness appointments before submitting an emergency leave form, or Soldiers using their issued rain gear when it's raining, or Soldiers wearing issued beanies when it's 20*F, or having a case of the vapors because their perfect PAO try-hard deployment photo op got sullied by some E4 carrying a normal civilian pillow with him onto the chartered 737 taking them to CENTCOM. Those CSM's and Commanders would have to give a shit about their formations and understand that their unit exists to accomplish its mission and they're responsible to ensure their unit has everything it needs for that mission, and to empower their intermediate leadership within that unit to ensure proper and complete training is performed so they can execute that mission. But that's difficult when many of those CSM's and Commanders think their units exist solely to make pretty green readiness graphs on powerpoint slides for them to support nice yearly evals.

So yeah lets just blame guns. Ugh.

SPRIRC Report Recommends Gun Ban for Soldiers Under 25

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    They'd better ban alcohol, personally owned motor vehicles, OTC medications, illegal drugs (whups, those are already banned!), 550 cord, rope, bootlaces, box cutters, extension cords, straight razors, bowie knives, tall buildings, and bridges while they're at it.

Imagine if they spent all that effort looking at the causes within the military instead of simply the means.....

Nah, then CSM's and BDE Commanders wouldn't be able to bitch about Soldiers not completing a whole year's worth of medical and readiness appointments before submitting an emergency leave form, or Soldiers using their issued rain gear when it's raining, or Soldiers wearing issued beanies when it's 20*F, or having a case of the vapors because their perfect PAO try-hard deployment photo op got sullied by some E4 carrying a normal civilian pillow with him onto the chartered 737 taking them to CENTCOM. Those CSM's and Commanders would have to give a shit about their formations and understand that their unit exists to accomplish its mission and they're responsible to ensure their unit has everything it needs for that mission, and to empower their intermediate leadership within that unit to ensure proper and complete training is performed so they can execute that mission. But that's difficult when many of those CSM's and Commanders think their units exist solely to make pretty green readiness graphs on powerpoint slides for them to support nice yearly evals.

So yeah lets just blame guns. Ugh.
    Yup. This is frustrating and totally unsurprising. My boss wants me to drive four hours to knock out vision and hearing tomorrow. I have actual work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wake27 View Post
    yup. This is frustrating and totally unsurprising. My boss wants me to drive four hours to knock out vision and hearing tomorrow. I have actual work to do.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
    If I may direct your attention to the upper right quadrant of the slide, Sir, you will see my unit is now at 87% overall medical readiness so we are now green on that requirement.
    I still have no idea what a CSSB does even though I'm in command here, but I'll submit my DA4187 for my combat patch after I take a shit just over the line at K-crossing on the next MWR Trip off Arifjan.

Pending any questions, Sir, I'll be followed by LTC Derpthorne, he was late to brief you on his unit because he was too busy feeding the rodent control cats.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

Nah doesn’t work that way here. The military follows civilian trends not h to e other way around.

It’s not even likely this will be adopted within the US MIL.

Also, and more directly related to their suggestions, the only thing can (and are recommending to) affect is sales on DOD property. So at AAFES. Drive off post to a real gun store and it’s all a non-issue.

[QUOTE=Wake27;1458150]Also, and more directly related to their suggestions, the only thing can (and are recommending to) affect is sales on DOD property. So at AAFES. Drive off post to a real gun store and it’s all a non-issue.

This would be great for me personally.... We are the first gunshop off the main gate at Lejeune.... and we ain't gonna stop selling the boys everything they need or want. To include replacement issued PMags and Sig M18 mags which the base PX doesn't carry because they have a 10 round limit rule for the children....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Nah doesn’t work that way here. The military follows civilian trends not h to e other way around.

It’s not even likely this will be adopted within the US MIL.
    Objectively you're correct, and I'd love to believe that is all true.

But I will never bet against the Army's 'good idea fairy' on matters like this. If it sounds good to an idiot and can get put in bullet format on a powerpoint slide there's a non-zero chance it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Also, and more directly related to their suggestions, the only thing can (and are recommending to) affect is sales on DOD property. So at AAFES. Drive off post to a real gun store and it’s all a non-issue.

I'd be unsurprised to see it extend to a prohibition of personal arms in base housing, and require storage in the unit arms room just like everyone living the barracks life. Given the areas a lot of bases are in and the cost of housing off post, I could see that putting a lot of otherwise good joes in a really irritating bind.

I can feel those re-enlistment rates going down further already...
    Last edited by JRB; 03-03-2023 at 01:53 PM.

User Tag List