Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Screw stuck in kydex, any hacks for this?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Careful with Loctite on thermoplastics. It can chemically attack them and cause them to crack.
    Once upon a time, I was told that nail polish is a safe substitute for Loctite when securing fasteners in Kydex. FWIW, I have not had any issues but I also do my bestest not to get the polish on the plastic anyway.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

VIM Tools HBR5 micro ratchet will let you reach into the holster side and a flat blade 1/4” bit with the middle ground out will do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    VIM Tools HBR5 micro ratchet will let you reach into the holster side and a flat blade 1/4” bit with the middle ground out will do the trick
    Well, I’m gonna buy one of those anyway, but…

At least one of the screws is buried in the holster in such a way as to make getting a cutter in there pretty much impossible without damaging the kydex. So no matter the tool, it’s the cutting that prevents this method.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Well, I’m gonna buy one of those anyway, but…

At least one of the screws is buried in the holster in such a way as to make getting a cutter in there pretty much impossible without damaging the kydex. So no matter the tool, it’s the cutting that prevents this method.
    Why not just use a longer screw into the backside and then drill / grind out the face of the stuck screw and pop it out from the backside.

Also penetrating oil?

If you have room you could pound a triple square, a torx or square bit into the backside for grip.
    Last edited by JCN; 06-15-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Why not just use a longer screw into the backside and then drill / grind out the face of the stuck screw and pop it out from the backside.

Also penetrating oil?
    can't longer screw not enough threads exposed inside the body of the nut. Drilling out is where this may end up.

tried oil, it got on the face of the screw inside the holster body and made it HARDER to hold in place. Been trying to dry it out various ways since.

To try and clarify part of the problem, the red circle indicates the worst condition, which is stuck down in a little crevice in the holster body, making all sorts of problems for me trying to grip the nut. The Yellow circle indicates the easier to reach screw, but whatever solution works for the red one will undoubtedly work for the yellow.

Of course, there is an end state where the red one gets destroyed to remove it while the yellow comes out in-tact and re-usable.

Name:  81D71730-6B04-489B-9434-535D718E873B.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  61.4 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Could you destructively drill out all of the hardware without damaging the kydex?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Could you destructively drill out all of the hardware without damaging the kydex?
    I’m not certain, but I think so. That’ll be the last ditch.

In that instance I’ll have to be able to hold the Phillips head end still so the bit can pass through. I think the screws are loose enough now to allow for that but I’m hoping to avoid that option.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Yes, or you can get a Dremel-like tool for like $10 at Harbor Freight that has a set of diamond cutting wheels you can chuck in the provided brass collet and go to work on the facing screw head.

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...-pc-63235.html

You may end up with some small cuts in the kydex after you get done, but at least the damned screw can come out. Or so I've heard.

For anyone following along at home….

I gave the fuck up and ordered a new DOH bracket. The goal here was to re-purpose the existing bracket from one holster to another, but for $17 shipped from Stoeger and the ability to keep the old holster intact if needed and the cost of my time… plus the tool costs more than the bracket…

D U N

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For anyone following along at home….

I gave the fuck up and ordered a new DOH bracket. The goal here was to re-purpose the existing bracket from one holster to another, but for $17 shipped from Stoeger and the ability to keep the old holster intact if needed and the cost of my time… plus the tool costs more than the bracket…

D U N
    I was wondering when you were going to come around to this way of thinking.

User Tag List