Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarke Softballer to Hardballer?

I don't see any shortage of 185 wadcutters, and I just found CCI large pistol primers for $45/1000. I think I'd start reloading rather than spend time/money changing the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    This is good advice. I experienced this once with a friend's 1911 that had been improved by a fairly well known gunsmith (not Clark) and almost needed new britches. I was grateful for good muzzle control that day.

I would shoot a few two round magazines through it to make sure.
    Yep, you're right, that's good advice that I intend to follow.

whomever,

Sounds like that would be the course for you.

Cat

I have not seen it happen but have seen cautions about kicking a rib off with ball instead of midrange.
    A guy here sent his Giles back to have the rib replaced with plain sights for IPSC.

Searches will find more if you spell it Clark, not Clarke. James, not Arthur.
    Assuming it is marked for the shop in Louisiana.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I have not seen it happen but have seen cautions about kicking a rib off with ball instead of midrange.
    A guy here sent his Giles back to have the rib replaced with plain sights for IPSC.

Searches will find more if you spell it Clark, not Clarke. James, not Arthur.
    Assuming it is marked for the shop in Louisiana.
    Mmm. Now that's food for thought. The rib is what, 3/4 x 5/16 x full length of the slide, mostly. Can't weigh more'n about three or four pounds. I'd best look into that.

Thanks.

Cat

Well I think I've attached a pic of the ol' girl. I detailed the slide, she was filthy. The barrel was heavily leaded. I've never had to work that hard on a leaded barrel before.

She weighs in at 48.2 oz! Yikes. And the hammer will follow a dropped slide. So next up is to replace the springs and then test her out with a number of two-round mags. Where I shoot it's safe; she could full auto a full mag and there'd be nothing to hit. Miles of flat, clear land.

Wish me luck!

Name:  IMG_6922.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  64.7 KB

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    And the hammer will follow a dropped slide.
    This is not uncommon in old bullseye guns. The shooter would either hold the trigger or the hammer back to load the gun.
    And not slam the slide down on an empty chamber.

I've decided no hardball. If it was my gun I'd make the changes needed and then run hardball. But it's not. Too much risk to such a fine piece.

Gonna shoot it at 90 yards this weekend with softball.

Cat

This is not uncommon in old bullseye guns. The shooter would either hold the trigger or the hammer back to load the gun.
    And not slam the slide down on an empty chamber.
    Name:  5B38AA51-18F1-4F02-9D45-AA26C9C97FB6.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  35.1 KB

I had to send this pistol to Wilson Combat, it had hammer follow through, and while that may have been acceptable back in the day, the potential for a AD, or it going full auto, was rather unnerving, Wilson fixed it, and now at least, it’s safe to shoot.

ETA: sorry about the double pics…
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is that a Clark, too? Looks like his Tiger Tooth stippling, although anybody could copy it.

Is that a Clark, too? Looks like his Tiger Tooth stippling, although anybody could copy it.
    Yup sure is, and yes, that’s the tiger tooth stippling, built by Jim Clark Sr, in Oct, 1963, I think, I’d have to pull the slide off to confirm..It’s a sweetheart..

User Tag List