Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarke Softballer to Hardballer?

Clarke Softballer to Hardballer?

A friend of mine owns a Clarke Softballer. Because he's a scholar and a gentleman I'm using it to shoot out at 90 yard. Since I own zero softball ammo and lots of hardball I want to change the piece to Hardball configuration. The softball ammo ( 185 @ 750 fps) drops about a foot. Seems to take about a 1/2 second or so to Whap! the target backer too! This is an all steel five incher with a full Bomar rib. A Colt 1911 about serial number 400,000, so not new. It actually was sent back to Clarke in the '70s to be re-built and he put a Colt Series 70 barrel in it.

I'm thinking that if I change the recoil spring to a new factory weight (16 pounds) I should be good. I think prudence will dictate a new firing pin spring and a shock buff just to be easy on this old beauty. The old girl is still tight as a ticks butt with a trigger that makes you think you're shooting a nice Smith sixgun. I should weigh it. Seems heavier than my Glocks.

Am I full of beans or on the right track?

Thanks.

Cat

Site Supporter
    Midway and Brownells carry the Wolff spring tuning pack. That will get you 16,18.5 and 20 I think and also a new firing pin spring. You can also order it straight from Wolff but it will take a while to ship.

No pics? Come on, man.

Is your buddy OK with your plan?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The standard spring for Govt. models was always 16# to be able to shoot a wide variety of ammo. For 230 hardball I would use a 17# Wolff with the extra power FP spring. The buffer if it will cycle with it. The 18.5 and 20 would be of no use. I have found the Colt barrels to be very accurate.
    Enjoy shooting that tack driver.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

The extractor might be set “soft” for the powder puff rounds.

If you are having extraction issues with 230 ball, might need to adjust or save the softball setting extractor and fit a new extractor.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    If it doesn't already, I'd get a 23lb hammer spring as well. Reduces slide velocity/battering.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I would check to see if the slide has been lightened internally before shooting full-power loads. Cuts to expose the extractor tunnel are common. If the slide has been lightened, full-power loads may be too much for the pistol.

In ay event, a new mainspring, new recoil spring, and new firing pin would be cheap insurance.

Older Clark Bullseye guns are famous for minimal sear engagement, so I would start with only two rounds of full-power armo in the magazine as doubling is not unknown.

I went the opposite with this gun.

My dad gave me this Colt in the 80s. While it looked rough... it was a shooter.

We always wanted to send it off for a makeover. When my dad passed (mid 2000), I had it made over.

I later changed this guns role and wanted a accurate paper puncher using 185-200 lead (softball). According to David Sams, I would need to adjust the extractor for 230 hardball.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Excellent replies, thank you all gentlemen.

Hambo,

Yep, buddy's on board with my plan. He offered up his ammo but no way I'm shooting up his stuff. He's got about 30 boxes of Winchester softball, and in my mind it's his. I'm working on pics, gimmie a minute I'm an old guy.

Bushytale,

I shot her today and it's a blast. Still smiling.

SW CQB,

Good tip on the extractor, forgot about that one. Thanks. I love your dad's .45. The POPS is cool. When my dad passed I took his plain jane Springfield 1911A1 and re-built it. Did all the stuff he would have had done in the '70s. Smith sights, bushing, checkered frame & slide rear, beveled mag well and trigger of course. The works. My son has it now.

farscott,

And I had forgotten about the slide lightening too! Good catch. This one isn't. The sear engagement is a good thought also, she has a trigger to die for. The first two rounds of hardball will be along in the mag!

Shot the old gal on Friday. Five rounds at each 3/4 silhouette (90 yards). Five targets I got four hits each, three took all five. Groups (!) run about a foot and with softball they're 14 inches below POA. There's a South African man who is a seasonal worker here, helluba nice guy. He'd been bragged up to me as a stirling pistol shot, not him braggings, others to tease me as I'm the best in out group. Doesn't say much for our group!

Anyway, after Friday's work I was feeling frisky and today challenged him to shoot Clarke against me. He was calm until I said 90 yards. Then the no-good bastich beat me by one round! Ani't no justice. We had a great time, our sides were all hurting from laughing.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Older Clark Bullseye guns are famous for minimal sear engagement, so I would start with only two rounds of full-power armo in the magazine as doubling is not unknown.
    This is good advice. I experienced this once with a friend's 1911 that had been improved by a fairly well known gunsmith (not Clark) and almost needed new britches. I was grateful for good muzzle control that day.

I would shoot a few two round magazines through it to make sure.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List