Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith 637 Birthday Gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Lastly, make sure you look that thing over very well. Many including myself have found quality issues with new j-frames.
    I noticed the barrel and right side of the frame had a little machining mark when I first opened the box. Metal was shiney and had more of a bare look in a cresent shape.

Since then I put 50 rounds of FMJand 10 of a +P JHP. With the gun dirty they really stood out more. It looks like when closing the cylinder the front face might be contacting the barrel/frame for a moment before it locks up with correct spacing.

I don't know a ton about revolvers. Is this something that is a total cease fire, contact S&W type of thing? Or is it similar to wear on a 1911s breech face, nobig deal.

I can post photos when I get home. Love the gun by the way. Recoil is far tamerthan I expected. I center punched my first round, but overall struggled with finding what the sights needed from me, and short stroked the trigger a bit. It'll take more time to learn the gun's needs. I look forward to it.

There is “yoke shake” in every revolver I’ve owned, but “cylinder end shake” takes over when the cylinder is closed. If you don’t see that, you’re fine. Simply test each empty chamber by looking at the barrel/cylinder gap while pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I noticed the barrel and right side of the frame had a little machining mark when I first opened the box. Metal was shiney and had more of a bare look in a cresent shape.

Since then I put 50 rounds of FMJand 10 of a +P JHP. With the gun dirty they really stood out more. It looks like when closing the cylinder the front face might be contacting the barrel/frame for a moment before it locks up with correct spacing.

I don't know a ton about revolvers. Is this something that is a total cease fire, contact S&W type of thing? Or is it similar to wear on a 1911s breech face, nobig deal.
    If you mean this bit of wear under the barrel, I've been told this is normal.
    Name:  IMG_20210622_125639.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  23.6 KB
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Minor marks are normal. I would not worry about the very slight contact between cylinder and barrel when closing. Close the cylinder with a tad of briskness. If you play with it, you can make it rub.

Important point. With a tooth brush clean under the extractor star and clean the cylinder area under the extractor. The smallest bit of unburied powder or gunk will cause the cylinder to bind.

If you decide to have the hammer deburred, I urge you to use a good smith and have this person removed the single action cocking capability. Then you would have a true double action only revolver.

Smith will not honor its warranty on an altered revolver. Ask the factory folks about removing the spur. Right now you have a lifetime warranty. If carried in a holster, the hammer spur should not get in your way.

Someone here replaced a 637 spurred hammer with a 624 internal hammer. For the life of me I cannot find the thread.

This would easily get rid of the spurred hammer but would remove your ability to thumb the hammer. Food for thought.

If you do eventually want to try a larger grip without spending much, consider these:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-a-little-sad

I rounded off the back corner a bit and have been pleased with them.

Site Supporter
    Someone here replaced a 637 spurred hammer with a 624 internal hammer. For the life of me I cannot find the thread.

This would easily get rid of the spurred hammer but would remove your ability to thumb the hammer. Food for thought.
    Something weird going on here. A 624 is a stainless N frame .44 Special with a standard spurred hammer. I'm guessing the typo monster bit you.

Sweet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    For eventual hardware stuff what stocks should I look into
    Am a big fan of the XS Big Dot, here is my thread where I detailed the installation. Those grips are Altamont ALTAI, and I have several of their J-frame options.

Name:  637 BigDot Altamont Apex.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  76.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Something weird going on here. A 624 is a stainless N frame .44 Special with a standard spurred hammer. I'm guessing the typo monster bit you.
    My bad...typing too fast between meetings. I meant a 642 hammer. I think it was @Lon that put a 642 hammer in his friend's 637. My searching could not find it.

My bad...typing too fast between meetings. I meant a 642 hammer. I think it was @Lon that put a 642 hammer in his friend's 637. My searching could not find it.
    I did indeed put a 642 hammer in a 637. It was pretty slick.

Name:  4D6A3364-B3FE-4692-9CF3-15CCBC00E446.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  36.3 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List