Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith 637 Birthday Gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I did indeed put a 642 hammer in a 637. It was pretty slick.

Attachment 73214
    That looks outstanding. I'll keep an eye out for one of those hammers. No ignition issues I take it?

I've gotta grab a holster still. Probably going with a dark star gear. I haven't bought any of their products before, and I know I should give them a shot.

Comp 1 or 2?

Is an Apex kit worth it? Would it make the hammer swap a problem?

I'm not sold on the nylon looking pocket holsters. Do kydex pocket holsters not work well? Doesn't seem like many exist. I wouldn't pocket carry a ton anyway but the idea is decent.

Check out Aholster (kydex) and Pocket Concealment Systems (Leather). I have had both and they are good products. In the end I stayed with the PCS Blackbird leather holster.

https://aholster.com/
    https://www.pcsholsters.com/

For AIWB I prefer the Icon by Harry's Holsters but there are many other options I have not tried.
    https://harrysholsters.com/product/i...er-quick-ship/
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    That looks outstanding. I'll keep an eye out for one of those hammers. No ignition issues I take it?
    No issues. We put an Apex kit in it as well. The kit comes With an extended firing pin.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Check out Aholster (kydex) and Pocket Concealment Systems (Leather). I have had both and they are good products. In the end I stayed with the PCS Blackbird leather holster.

https://aholster.com/
    https://www.pcsholsters.com/

For AIWB I prefer the Icon by Harry's Holsters but there are many other options I have not tried.
    https://harrysholsters.com/product/i...er-quick-ship/
    I’ll second Irelander’s suggestions. I use and Aholster backbone daily for my 442 and a Harry’s Holsters Icon when I want to carry it AIWB. I have looked at PCS holsters before but haven’t purchased one yet. FWIW I have a DSG Apollo for my LCR and it is not as comfortable for me as the Harry’s Holsters Icon for my 442. I know the LCR is a little different than the j-frame but they are similar enough for comparison I think. I really wanted to like the DSG Apollo because it is a great holster and Tom is a stand-up guy, but the Icon has it beat for me personally. I do still use the Apollo because it is the best I have found so far, and it can accommodate my 3” LCR, but it doesn’t see a ton of carry time.

Site Supporter
    I have the A Holster pocket model for an LCR. It is excellent.

Forgot to mention that the Apex kit is definitely worth it. Not terribly hard to install either.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Well, my simple project wasn't so simple, but I got it done:

Name:  20210701_083645.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  32.0 KB
    Name:  20210701_083805.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  25.9 KB

The hammer was too tall/wide and I had to make it smaller:

Name:  Hammer.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  26.6 KB

I think in reality the gun industry is probably a bit more blacksmith than we might want to think, the factory hammer was obviously smaller. I just ordered the little belt sander I have been wanting, it will make it easier if the hammer going into the 360 needs the same.

ETA: It is obvious the hammer is/was impacting the frame. Not sure if this is where it is bottoming out or not. The (Apex extended) firing pin is extending plenty, will test fire Sunday.

Name:  Hmmmm.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  2.6 KB

Also, I am the kind of person that doesn't care about stuff like this, but I understand others do. Dunno if I would tolerate this on the expensive 360PD, we will see...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-01-2021 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

I think in reality the gun industry is probably a bit more blacksmith than we might want to think, the factory hammer was obviously smaller. I just ordered the little belt sander I have been wanting, it will make it easier if the hammer going into the 360 needs the same.

ETA: It is obvious the hammer is/was impacting the frame. Not sure if this is where it is bottoming out or not. The (Apex extended) firing pin is extending plenty, will test fire Sunday.

Also, I am the kind of person that doesn't care about stuff like this, but I understand others do. Dunno if I would tolerate this on the expensive 360PD, we will see...
    I think the hammer Lon added on his is more what I'm looking for.

What type of sight picture are you looking for with a round front sight in a square rear notch? Is it more like bead sight on a shotgun?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

I ordered a 638/317 hammer last week with the intention of putting it on my 2.5" 637, but seeing how much work you have on that, I'll probably just chop off the hammer spur with my dremel tool and move on. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleGabby View Post
    I'll probably just chop off the hammer spur with my dremel tool and move on.
    I would wait until you get it and compare.

I plan to maybe modify the 360 version differently if i need to. I do not like the chop idea, because it makes the hammer lighter.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List