Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Smith 637 Birthday Gift.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Man, I do like your revolver!!
    Woah, I wish it were mine!!!! That was just some rando pick offa the www.

That’s what I like about this forum….all the information gleaned from these posts!
    I agree.
    I was really surprised that the 642s wouldn't have a hammer block. Then I remembered that the "Centennial" (that were referred to as "Lemon Squeezers) had a grip safety, wonder if the grip safety interfered with the hammer safety?

ETA: That should be an early 42, the predecessor of the current 642 (6 being a stainless gun).

637-2 is my favorite revolver, though I have a strong preference for the stock hammer for pocket carry (probably because I learned to shoot using a single action a bit over 70 years ago). My three all have 9mm conversions, and I am currently doing a .380 conversion as a lark, but am not happy with it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    637-2 is my favorite revolver, though I have a strong preference for the stock hammer for pocket carry (probably because I learned to shoot using a single action a bit over 70 years ago). My three all have 9mm conversions, and I am currently doing a .380 conversion as a lark, but am not happy with it yet.
    Jim, what’s that weigh? More details on the .380 project too please!

@JCN would probably find the info useful as well.

12.5 ounces with the Herrett Shooting Star grips. 11.5 ounces with lighter Altamonts.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Jim, what’s that weigh? More details on the .380 project too please!

@JCN would probably find the info useful as well.
    12.5 ounces with the Herrett Shooting Star grips. 11.5 ounces with lighter Altamonts.
    Thanks @jandbj !

Jim, I had brief thoughts about it and tried shooting moon clip 380 out of a J frame but the 38/357 chambers seemed too large for the 380 and they’d rattle around and lose velocity and accuracy.

What model is that Smith? Flat cylinder release and pinned barrel. It’s a beaut!! That’s what I like about this forum….all the information gleaned from these posts! Man, I do like your revolver!!
    Centennial Airweight or Model 42. Mine is a 42 circa '72 or '73:

Name:  IMG_0317.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  43.8 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter

Yes more about the 380 please!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Yes more about the 380 please!
    He posted in the other thread:

Donor cylinder is a J-frame titanium .38Sp/.357Mag from Midway. Moonclips for this first trial are from a Taurus .380, but the Taurus cylinder circle radius is a bit too big, so they are slightly offset from the forcing cone. They will chamber in my 9mm cylinders, but I don't think they will in my .38 cylinders. Gotta get em concentric. Family Christmas doings are kind of slowing down my efforts.

I expect to see muzzle velocities on the loose order of 650 fps, combined with lousy accuracy. I like shooting my J-frames at 25 yards, but I doubt the .380 conversion will be up to that.
    One detail I left out of my previous video that I didn’t mention because I discovered it afterwards is that the Taurus 380 clips that I used the video were probably mislabeled 9mm clips which is why the rounds didn’t clip in (despite the packages saying 380).

So I can confirm the velocities he was expecting are what you get. And the accuracy loss is also real.

I’d think you’d have to start with a chamber smaller than a 38 to make 380 work.

"but the 38/357 chambers seemed too large for the 380 and they’d rattle around and lose velocity and accuracy"

Yes, that is correct. And the Taurus moonclip's radius is slightly too large.
    In the 9mm cylinders, the 380's will chamber, but they are not concentric with the chamers or the barrel. They would fire, but I ain't gonna.
    In the .38Sp cylinders, they are not concentric and bind on the outer periphery of the chambers. Gotta modify the moonclips, or make some from scratch.

"but the 38/357 chambers seemed too large for the 380 and they’d rattle around and lose velocity and accuracy"

Yes, that is correct. And the Taurus moonclip's radius is slightly too large.
    In the 9mm cylinders, the 380's will chamber, but they are not concentric with the chamers or the barrel. They would fire, but I ain't gonna.
    In the .38Sp cylinders, they are not concentric and bind on the outer periphery of the chambers. Gotta modify the moonclips, or make some from scratch.
    Jim, watch the video I posted above.

I did that a few months ago in a 38 chamber with 9mm moon clips holding 380 ammo in place.

Chrono put velocities at 620-660.

Here it is again:

After that, I just went to a dedicated 380 revolver.

User Tag List