Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith 637 Birthday Gift.

Smith 637 Birthday Gift.

I started this thread some time back, laying out some things I was looking for in a potential J frame. Turned out that the 637 was what I was looking for. I just didn't know it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....le-with-hammer

I turn 30 on Thursday. We celebrated today.

My wife gifted me a gun. A Smith and Wesson 637-2. I have been gifted a gun 3 times before in my life. A 22lr as a kid, and two heirloom hunting guns in my early 20s.

I can think of no more significant gift one could be given. She used multiple lunch breaks at work, and made plans with my parents to hide it. She knew the exact model J frame I wanted to get eventually.

I'm overwhelmed, and surprised, and deeply moved.

Name:  IMG_20210612_144951_534.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  35.7 KB

Most of that I've said on social media... my question for PF is what kind of firing schedule should I look at before considering occassional carry? This is the first revolver I've owned that I intend to shoot, and occassionally carry.

What quality control stuff should I look for from a modern J? It is new, but I'm not sure what to look for.

I shoot it for the first time tomorrow. For eventual hardware stuff what stocks should I look into, where could I look for a bobbed hammer, and what holster (Waist and pocket?) Should I think about? I'm thinking Dark Star Gear Apollo? Speedstrip or loaders?

I'm excited, touched, and just wanted to share with the PFers. This doesn't happen often to me.

That's outstanding.

I love my Dark Star Gear AIWB holster for my J-frame. The Desantis Nemesis is a great pocket holster for short money. I like either Tuff-Strips or Speed Strips, and Safariland COMP speed loaders. I'll be honest, I've been carrying COMP-1 speed loaders loose in a pocket for years, and I've never had a problem.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P short barrel, but there's nothing wrong with wadcutters either.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    @Cory - That girl is a keeper!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Yeah... considering it went the other way with my GF... she liked my Kahr P380 so
    much she claimed it as hers.... what can I do

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's outstanding.

I love my Dark Star Gear AIWB holster for my J-frame. The Desantis Nemesis is a great pocket holster for short money. I like either Tuff-Strips or Speed Strips, and Safariland COMP speed loaders. I'll be honest, I've been carrying COMP-1 speed loaders loose in a pocket for years, and I've never had a problem.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P short barrel, but there's nothing wrong with wadcutters either.
    Thanks, I'll look into the ammo carry options. I'll take a look at the nemesis as well. I was given some SIG brand +p but I don't plan to shoot a ton of that. I'll look into it more.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Next month makes 6 years married. August makes 12 together. Our kid turns 5 in November. So I guess it's starting to get pretty serious...

Site Supporter
    Congratulations. I bobbed the hammer on my 60. You can buy a spare from midway and cut it.
    For pocket Aholster backbone and Mika pocket holsters are great pocket options.
    Wad cutters are great for light weight snubs.

Site Supporter

Smith 637 Birthday Gift.

You have a great wife!

Most of my pocket carry has been with semiautos, but my favorite pocket holster is the Aholster (the one I use is not the backbone). Wrap some moleskin (available in the foot care section of a pharmacy) around the hook by the rear sight to avoid poking a hole in your pocket.

My carry revolver is a Colt rather than a S&W, but it still taught me why hammer spurs on concealed carry revolvers are a bad idea. Unless you need a retention strap, you are better off without the spur.

I would give serious consideration to the Crimson Trace Lasergrip with the short 2 finger length and covered backstrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Not so fast on your list of “modifications”. Really shoot/carry the gun “as is” for a period of time. Try different carry methods/holsters before taking that dremel tool to that hammer spur. Give those factory boot grips a fair chance before tossing them in your spare parts box. Just my two cents. Enjoy !!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Not so fast on your list of “modifications”. Really shoot/carry the gun “as is” for a period of time. Try different carry methods/holsters before taking that dremel tool to that hammer spur. Give those factory boot grips a fair chance before tossing them in your spare parts box. Just my two cents. Enjoy !!
    Notice how I said "eventual" hardware? This has to get put through its paces before it ever gets carried. I'm probably not as affluent as many here, so any changes are thought out heavily before they happen. I've got to look into a few courses of fire, and some stuff like that. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'll probably turn the front ramp orange pretty quick. Not today (I'm shooting it later) but probably in the next few days. The bobbed hammer is an almost definite thing. Maybe not immediately, but this gun is intended for DA in my mind. The only reason I wanted a hammer fired gun was to thumb it during holstering.

Congrats on an awesome wife and nice little revolver. And happy birthday, youngster. I got 11 years on you.

I carry a 642-1 quite often either in a Harry's Icon holster AIWB or in a Pocket Concealment Systems (PCS) Blackbird pocket holster.

My carry ammo is either Remington Target wadcutters or Precision One plated wadcutters. Federal wadcutters are great also.

I highly recommend an Apex duty/carry trigger spring kit. Definitely worth the $$.

Lastly, make sure you look that thing over very well. Many including myself have found quality issues with new j-frames.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List