Thread: Small Run of Plasma Cut Sheet Metal

Small Run of Plasma Cut Sheet Metal

I'm looking to have a small handful of copies of a very simple 2D part made of ~16ga sheet steel. I made a prototype copy by hand and it wasn't pretty but it is functional. I can probably draft a reasonable drawing in one of the cheap/free CAD packages. Any recommendations on places that will do hobbyist type runs?
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    I'm looking to have a small handful of copies of a very simple 2D part made of ~16ga sheet steel. I made a prototype copy by hand and it wasn't pretty but it is functional. I can probably draft a reasonable drawing in one of the cheap/free CAD packages. Any recommendations on places that will do hobbyist type runs?
    You should be able to find somebody local. Even in my small Alaska town we have two guys that do it. Go 60 miles away to the nearest larger town and there are over a dozen guys that can do it, including laser and water jet services. For small jobs I have my local high school shop class do it in trade for materials.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You should be able to find somebody local. Even in my small Alaska town we have two guys that do it. Go 60 miles away to the nearest larger town and there are over a dozen guys that can do it, including laser and water jet services. For small jobs I have my local high school shop class do it in trade for materials.
    I'd hope so! 20 years ago the local community college would have been a good option. Today they mostly teach gender and ethnic studies . Nearby business all seem to be forgings and wrought iron for architectural purposes.

I'm in Westchester/Fairfield Co. north of New York if folks have any recommendations.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

What about a milling machine?
    You should be able to find some sort of Makersspace in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    I'd hope so! 20 years ago the local community college would have been a good option. Today they mostly teach gender and ethnic studies . Nearby business all seem to be forgings and wrought iron for architectural purposes.

I'm in Westchester/Fairfield Co. north of New York if folks have any recommendations.
    https://rcsheatingandcooling.com/she...l-fabrication/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

My neighbor has two computerized plasma tables. Look around on the internet for people doing metal art. That's where you'll find people set up to cut designs in metal using CAD.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List