Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 64-5 NY-1 hammer block?

S&W Model 64-5 NY-1 hammer block?

I took receipt of one of the S&W Model 10 frames from J&G Sales yesterday and as I was cleaning it up I had the side plate off my Model 64 for a reference. I noticed that the Model 64 is without a hammer block. Here’s a pic of the two:

Name:  D8000190-4570-49AA-8AEB-ECA1432C625E.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  88.0 KB

I have had the side plate off of the Model 64 before but I don’t remember if there was a hammer block there the first time had it apart. So my question is did it have one at some point and does it need one now? Being a DAO model, is it necessary to have a hammer block? Any insight/education on this is appreciated!

I’ve only taken the sideplate off my 642’s once, but I don’t recall them having a trigger block. It’s not unthinkable that someone could have just removed the hammer block for the sake of trigger “enhancement”.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    DAO 64-5:

Name:  48700ECC-FE1A-4D2E-8325-64146D749321.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  58.1 KB

Mine has a hammer-block. I suspect that, without one, the gun isn’t drop-safe.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I took receipt of one of the S&W Model 10 frames from J&G Sales yesterday and as I was cleaning it up I had the side plate off my Model 64 for a reference. I noticed that the Model 64 is without a hammer block. Here’s a pic of the two:

Name:  D8000190-4570-49AA-8AEB-ECA1432C625E.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  88.0 KB

I have had the side plate off of the Model 64 before but I don’t remember if there was a hammer block there the first time had it apart. So my question is did it have one at some point and does it need one now? Being a DAO model, is it necessary to have a hammer block? Any insight/education on this is appreciated!
    Looks like the rebound slide has the guide pin for the hammer block. If you flip the side plate over does it have the slot for the hammer block milled? Best guess is that someone either removed it as part of a kitchen table trigger job or got frustrated trying to line it up with the side plate and tossed it in their parts box. AFAIK S&W has not produced a Hand Ejector variant without some form of hammer block since the 1940s.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    DAO 64-5:

Name:  48700ECC-FE1A-4D2E-8325-64146D749321.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  58.1 KB

Mine has a hammer-block. I suspect that, without one, the gun isn’t drop-safe.
    Thank you! That was my thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Looks like the rebound slide has the guide pin for the hammer block. If you flip the side plate over does it have the slot for the hammer block milled? Best guess is that someone either removed it as part of a kitchen table trigger job or got frustrated trying to line it up with the side plate and tossed it in their parts box. AFAIK S&W has not produced a Hand Ejector variant without some form of hammer block since the 1940s.
    I’m fairly certain it is milled for it, I’ll check it out. Sounds like I need to order one though. Thank you!

I’m fairly certain it is milled for it, I’ll check it out. Sounds like I need to order one though. Thank you!
    If you're carrying that gun, I'd suggest keeping an empty chamber under the hammer until you've installed one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If you're carrying that gun, I'd suggest keeping an empty chamber under the hammer until you've installed one.
    At this point it has been for range use only, it will stay that way until it has one. Thank you!

Site Supporter
    I needed one to replace one that was missing from a used gun I bought. I called S&W and they sent one gratis. It's been a while, but it'd be worth a try.

At this point it has been for range use only, it will stay that way until it has one. Thank you!
    Here in the Revolver Section, we live to enable.

User Tag List