Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 RDS cut: Wilson Combat True Zero or Nighthawk Custom IOS

1911 RDS cut: Wilson Combat True Zero or Nighthawk Custom IOS

I have a Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact and have been giving some thought into having an RDS cut made on the slide. Obviously Wilson will be able to use their True Zero system if I send my slide in. However, I do like how the Nighthawk IOS system allows any easy transition back to irons only if desired, and it appears that their cut sits lower in the slide allowing me to use existing sights.

Assuming Nighthawk will do the work on my WC slide, are there any other considerations? I assume the slide will need to be refinished, so hopefully Nighthawk will be able to do something similar to the black Armor-Tuff. Also, if I go with the NH IOS, will I be voiding any warranty I have with WC?

Thanks in advance!

Can't speak to the Wilson offering, but the NH IOS is outstanding. Range buddy has one, it absolutely holds zero (100-10x) repeatable at 25 yds, is beautifully executed, and swaps between irons and optic in about 10 seconds. Now granted, that's on top of a $7k NH, in very competent hands.
    Taking a break from social media.

I've got a single iOS slide, and I admire the design.

I think it's probably the most relevant if you plan to regularly swap out plates. I do wish that a greater variety of iOS plates were available (sealed emitter options - I'm looking at you), but assuming you find a willing smith, iron sight plates can be converted. I can confirm that Nighthawk was unable to sell entirely blank iOS plates as of about 6 months ago (not a knock on NH, the product and the service were both outstanding).
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

You should at least consider the Chambers Custom system. Forum member @AJZ (AJ Zito in Arizona) is a certified installer, along with a couple other dudes listed on the page. This system allows for standard height sights instead of suppressor height sights.

I haven't seen anything about the Wilson system. The last time we discussed the NH IOS, it came up that their system was significantly more expensive.

(I don't have any direct experience with any of them. )
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
    I have a Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact and have been giving some thought into having an RDS cut made on the slide. Obviously Wilson will be able to use their True Zero system if I send my slide in. However, I do like how the Nighthawk IOS system allows any easy transition back to irons only if desired, and it appears that their cut sits lower in the slide allowing me to use existing sights.

Assuming Nighthawk will do the work on my WC slide, are there any other considerations? I assume the slide will need to be refinished, so hopefully Nighthawk will be able to do something similar to the black Armor-Tuff. Also, if I go with the NH IOS, will I be voiding any warranty I have with WC?

Thanks in advance!
    Nighthawk did the optics cut on my WC EDC X9.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    How was the refinishing? Were they able to replicate the Armor tuff?

Double post!
    Last edited by acaixguard; 06-12-2021 at 01:28 AM.

So I contacted both Nighthawk and WC. Nighthawk's IOS for the RMR or Holosun will only allow for the rear iron sight to be located in front of the optic, which is a no go for me. WC's option will end up costing about $1k and a 6 month wait.

Another option I discovered is Vulcan Machine Werks. Anyone familiar with them?
    Last edited by acaixguard; 06-17-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
    Another option I discovered is Vulcan Machine Werks. Anyone familiar with them?
    They have done two STI/Staccato slides for me with the Trijicon 1911/2011 RMR plate and a 3rd 2011 slide is currently in their hands for the Trijicon plate/cut plus their new StaccPorts. I highly recommend them.
    Chuck Brazeau

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    how was this cut? How did you have them refinish it?

User Tag List