Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get started? Any good FAQs for NFA items?

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    are there online ones or should I be looking for one locally?

I assume some of these websites selling NFA trusts have NFA lawyers on staff to discuss things with?
    Yes. Don't go just look for a lawyer. That's not good. Look for those turn key people selling trusts. It will be very much more to the point if you do and will cost you a lot less money.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    For me there is really no benefit at all to going individual. It's you, you, and you. That's the only person that can do anything.

With a Trust though (at least in Texas) let's say you get 10 suppressors and 3 SBRs in there... but then 5 years from now you get a high paying job in Germany. You can add a person to the trust and they can have possession of those items while you are working overseas. This may be somewhat different in other states, but in Texas you can do that.
    This is what drove home the individual vs trust decision for me. I wasn't concerned about moving overseas, but what could happen if I was incapacitated or dead. Having a trust and putting my wife on it means she can manage the items on my behalf.

Chris

Useful discussion. Much appreciated. Thanks, to all.

The prospect of having to deal with my DDM4 V7P potentially changing its legal status has led me to look into NFA matters. (I bought it, specifically, to be a travel/RV weapon, that can be kept with a loaded mag in place, in places that prohibit the vehicular transport of loaded rifles, so SBR-ing this weapon is not something I really want to do, but, well, I might as well do the research.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Where to get started? Any good FAQs for NFA items?

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Yes. Don't go just look for a lawyer. That's not good. Look for those turn key people selling trusts. It will be very much more to the point if you do and will cost you a lot less money.
    I see where you are coming from but I disagree. I have not been impressed with the quality of work coming out of the turnkey guys. They’re running a volume business and I have a hard time believing they are going to take the time to talk with you in depth. Maybe some will, and that’s great, but you’re not going to get the same level of attention you would from someone who charges more but will give you personal attention and answer your questions.

Before I had kids, redirected my practice, and abandoned the shooting community I prepared a ton of NFA trusts and my process was very different than genericguntrust.com’s.

The generic guys are probably fine for someone with low expectations who wants a basic trust and is willing to put in a lot of time educating themselves. To that end the ATF’s NFA Handbook is a great resource; I always used to provide a copy to my clients.

My recommendation is to look for a well-respected enthusiast attorney who will be and remain available as additional questions crop up. A trust isn’t a one and done thing; you may need to change or modify it over time and you want someone who knows what they’re doing. I fixed a lot of bad trusts in my day…

As always, different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll pay more but I’m happy that I went Arsenal Attorneys. Pretty sure I posted more info about it somewhere around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Useful discussion. Much appreciated. Thanks, to all.

The prospect of having to deal with my DDM4 V7P potentially changing its legal status has led me to look into NFA matters. (I bought it, specifically, to be a travel/RV weapon, that can be kept with a loaded mag in place, in places that prohibit the vehicular transport of loaded rifles, so SBR-ing this weapon is not something I really want to do, but, well, I might as well do the research.)

Same boat. I really don't want to bother with nfa but I am getting ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I see where you are coming from but I disagree. I have not been impressed with the quality of work coming out of the turnkey guys. They’re running a volume business and I have a hard time believing they are going to take the time to talk with you in depth. Maybe some will, and that’s great, but you’re not going to get the same level of attention you would from someone who charges more but will give you personal attention and answer your questions.

Before I had kids, redirected my practice, and abandoned the shooting community I prepared a ton of NFA trusts and my process was very different than genericguntrust.com’s.

The generic guys are probably fine for someone with low expectations who wants a basic trust and is willing to put in a lot of time educating themselves. To that end the ATF’s NFA Handbook is a great resource; I always used to provide a copy to my clients.

My recommendation is to look for a well-respected enthusiast attorney who will be and remain available as additional questions crop up. A trust isn’t a one and done thing; you may need to change or modify it over time and you want someone who knows what they’re doing. I fixed a lot of bad trusts in my day…

As always, different strokes for different folks.

I found a few websites that are very cheap gun trusts but I agree with you, there is so much misinformation I am inclined to find someone I can talk to that will run through all of it and explain all my questions.

User Tag List