Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How Deadly are Shotguns?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    So after the Parkland shooting - one of my college friends who is a school teacher posted on FB about how as an educator it was his opinion that all “assault rifles” should be banned. I engaged him and mentioned that Virginia Tech was committed with a pair of handguns and his reply was he would rather face a handgun than a rifle. I asked him about shotguns and he had no reply.

I just sent this video link to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    So after the Parkland shooting - one of my college friends who is a school teacher posted on FB about how as an educator it was his opinion that all “assault rifles” should be banned. I engaged him and mentioned that Virginia Tech was committed with a pair of handguns and his reply was he would rather face a handgun than a rifle. I asked him about shotguns and he had no reply.

Thank God most of those wackos are media-obsessed morons. All guns are lethal, but in the scenarios that seem to make up a lot of these mass shooting events( close quarters and large groups of soft targets) , grampaps old duck gun and a pocket full of buckshot would probably actually do more damage than the much hyped "assault weapons".

That asshole in New Zealand being the prime example of what damage they can do if they find a clue. If I recall correctly he did most of it with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I’d have liked to seen more of the Foster slugs on the torso as being soft thin lead they will flatten.
    Here's Fackler's wound profile for a 12 gauge slug:

Name:  rifled_slug_wound_profile.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  29.0 KB

And an estimate of penetration and wound mass based on MacPherson's modeling:

Name:  12_gauge_slug.png
Views: 920
Size:  11.8 KB

To put the 158 grams of wound mass into perspective, it's about the same as six rounds of .38 wadcutters or 10 rounds of 9mm hardball.

Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    Here's Fackler's wound profile for a 12 gauge slug:

Name:  rifled_slug_wound_profile.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  29.0 KB

And an estimate of penetration and wound mass based on MacPherson's modeling:

Name:  12_gauge_slug.png
Views: 920
Size:  11.8 KB

To put the 158 grams of wound mass into perspective, it's about the same as six rounds of .38 wadcutters or 10 rounds of 9mm hardball.
    15 inches in bare ballistics gel? Isn't it normally like double that?

Site Supporter

And parkland was committed with 10 round magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    15 inches in bare ballistics gel? Isn't it normally like double that?
    That depends on expansion. If it doesn't expand it might look more like this:

Name:  unexpanded_slug.png
Views: 868
Size:  11.7 KB

Much less wound mass in the first 15". Probably less effective for, say, deer-sized game, but likely more effective against grizzlies and barriers.

....I need a good shotgun....
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    ....Everyone (around here) needs a good shotgun.....
    Fixed it for you.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

That logic has a pitfall. The issue is the murderer not the implement, and any discussion of the implement leads to the mentality of "ban them all".
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    That logic has a pitfall. The issue is the murderer not the implement, and any discussion of the implement leads to the mentality of "ban them all".
    Point taken. Of course at this point any dialogue with my college “friend” about the perpetrators of such crimes will lead to systemic racism or the need do “reimagine” a society where such people have no access to dangerous things.

User Tag List