Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: How Deadly are Shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    That's a very valid thought process, and is why I had a 590A1 next to my bed for many years. However I wonder how the chamber pressure correlates to sound pressure levels (SPL)? According to this, a 18.5" 12 gauge registers 161.5db, a 18.5" .223 rifle registers 155.5db, and a 9mm handgun (presumably 4" barrel) registers 159.8db.

For me at least, my perception of the various volumes of firearms is largely impacted by the fact that I don't think I've ever discharged a shotgun indoors, but I have shot plenty of rifle and handgun at indoor ranges. And 5.56mm indoors rocks your socks, I won't even do it unsuppressed anymore. However shooting clays with my 28" Browning, I almost feel like hearing protection is unneeded (I know it is, and I wear it, but its such an enjoyable, quiet experience). But looking at the numbers doesn't seem to support that 12 gauge shotguns are quieter than rifles or handguns, all things equal.
    That is an interesting link, though just from seat of the pants (ear...) it sure seems from experience, as you mention, to be a much bigger difference. One thing I noticed is that .410 is no slouch when it comes to ear drums. I am wondering if burn rates are another factor, .410 calls for slower powder than a 12ga. Also a very noticeable difference from typical target shotguns and defensive shotguns. From time to time a round of skeet has been shot with a short gun to test function, or just to try out a new gun for the hell of it, and ten inches sure makes a huge difference (obvious That's What She Said joke...).

And some of my friends have those 16" SOCOM M1-As and I do not even like shooting those outdoors, with plugs AND muffs. I shot a doe once from a blind with a roof with my 18" M1-A and don't plan on doing that again.

But I am just newly more interested in defensive shotguns, and this is one of the reasons.

I am pretty sure it is the volume of gas that pushes the shotgun blast and noise level up there with the other options in spite of the lower pressures.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Cotton Branch Customs has done some outstanding work for friends of mine.
    I went by there a few weeks back to discuss some projects and he had a lot of VERY nice work there. I will be sending several guns to him.

User Tag List