Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How Deadly are Shotguns?

How Deadly are Shotguns?

"Garand Thumb" wants to find out:

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Coincidentally I watched that last night. I have no idea why but I like watching GT. I've learned alot about AR's from him, and he's entertaining. The only surprise I had was how surprised he was at a shotguns lethal capabilities. Any hunter would probably be baffled why a shotgun's lethal capabilities would be in question.

I think he (GT) was a little outside his area of expertise, but it was still a good idea to at least start the conversation about the shotgun as a defensive tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Coincidentally I watched that last night. I have no idea why but I like watching GT. I've learned alot about AR's from him, and he's entertaining. The only surprise I had was how surprised he was at a shotguns lethal capabilities. Any hunter would probably be baffled why a shotgun's lethal capabilities would be in question.

I think he (GT) was a little outside his area of expertise, but it was still a good idea to at least start the conversation about the shotgun as a defensive tool.
    Funny. I was actually surprised at how much he knew. For example 8 pellet patterning better than 9. I think the surprise at the destruction was exaggeration for effect.

ETA, the ballistic torsos were pretty cool.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    While I intellectually knew the destructive power of the shotgun on human targets I was still pretty impressed/shocked with the carnage.

GT was in his usual and entertaining form.

Can’t wait until the Prohibitionist come across this video.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    While I intellectually knew the destructive power of the shotgun on human targets I was still pretty impressed/shocked with the carnage.
    Having seen a few suicides by shotgun the dummies were mild.

I had to Google it, the dummies Dr. Thumb used in that video are on sale for $1,100 each. Down from $1,850.

https://ballisticdummylab.com/collec...31991730208901

IMHO he’s reasonably well versed in shotgunnery. The Brenneke slugs are really best thought of as acting like dangerous game solids, I’d have liked to seen more of the Foster slugs on the torso as being soft thin lead they will flatten. I’d also have liked to see Federal Flite Control used on the dummy. While buckshot is iffy thru a car door the Brennekes would probably go thru both doors with enough steam to kill a hippo on the far side.

Fun video. I’ve seen a few Garand Thumb videos here and there, but never knew he was Travis Haley's son until this video.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Fun video. I’ve seen a few Garand Thumb videos here and there, but never knew he was Travis Haley's son until this video.
    I dont believe he is. I think that is an in joke with his fans. I could be wrong.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I dont believe he is. I think that is an in joke with his fans. I could be wrong.
    ^This^

But I suspect #Balisong is just playing along.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    ^This^

But I suspect #Balisong is just playing along.
    Haha, nope I thought he was serious. I watched another video with the 2 of them talking about gunfights and it was mentioned there too but I never picked up that it was a joke. Thanks for setting me straight guys

Umm, yea. No kidding.

User Tag List