Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How Deadly are Shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    There's really only two paths that make sense for me personally right now:

1) Just keep the 500 I already have and rock it.

2) Drop the coin on a 1301.

Nothing in between makes sense.

Right now I'm happy enough with the 500, but if I sell enough books, I'll buy a 1301.
    I have an old Maverick 88 that I'm hanging on to, myself.
    It's LOP is dummy long, it's got a snap-on fiber optic bead sight, the forend has those stupid integral action bars, and I cut it down to 18.25" myself... But I'm keeping it. I wouldn't trust it to survive a punishing 500rd weekend class but I trust it to do it's job if called upon.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    To quote Clint Smith "Pistols put holes in people, Rifles put holes through people, Shotguns Dismantle Them". Having seen what Shotguns do first hand, I'm confident taking one to a fight and actually have by choice on several occasions.
    From Clint's mouth to your ears.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

I have other shotguns, but nothing compares to John Moses Browning's finest shotgun.

It is the gun that was invented when we were still involved in the Indian Wars, and used in conflicts all over the globe. If I am going to grab a shotgun to defend the house and/or family, this is without question the one.
    A5 related story.

Back in the late 90’s, when I was still in highschool, I met a fellow customer at the LGS who was picking up a 20g A5 he had cut down that he was planning to use as a home defense gun. The thing that makes it notable was that he was missing his left arm from just below the elbow. We talked for a minute about it being a cool gun and he explained to me that the A5 was his go to shotgun because he could chamber a round/run the action one handed by putting the muzzle on the floor and pushing down. He preferred a 20g for slightly less recoil. Obviously he couldn’t run a mag extension or use that technique outside, but I was impressed by his ingenuity, and it gave me another reason to appreciate Browning’s design that I hadn’t considered before.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I do believe our own resident RN here used one in Iraq. I believe in Fallujah if I recall correctly.

That was a sporty place.

@03RN
    Yup

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Besides Wilson Combat and VangComp, any other outfits that install sights/rails on 870 guns?
    Cotton Branch Customs has done some outstanding work for friends of mine.
    3/15/2016

At at arms length/ when the victim is close enough to grab the end of the barrel (for whatever reason) shotgun loads will punch clean through and leave a mess on the other side.

Shotguns in tight quarters are just devastating.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Buckshot at close range is the most destructive thing you can lay on someone short of ordnance
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Clint, ever animated, demonstrates as he explains by patting his spread hand on br'er Jim's chest and shoulder saying, 'Cause the shotgun takes blood and muscle and tissue and bone from here and here and throws it on the fucking wall!
    When I was in Jr High around 1984-85, one of my teachers had a former student who was an EMT come in and do a slide presentation and discuss life as an EMT. We were supposed to determine if each slide (or series of slides) was a crime scene or medical emergency.

Two pics from that day have stuck with me all of these years. One was a guy who'd coughed out his tracheotomy and sprayed blood throughout his house as tried to get to a phone. The other was a dude who'd taken both barrels from a 12ga SxS. Not quite contact distance but close enough that there were 2 distinct holes in the center of his chest with no sign of shot dispersion. No amount of wound packing was going to help him before any EMS got there.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    When I was in Jr High around 1984-85, one of my teachers had a former student who was an EMT come in and do a slide presentation and discuss life as an EMT. We were supposed to determine if each slide (or series of slides) was a crime scene or medical emergency.

Two pics from that day have stuck with me all of these years...
    Mine was during the Academy when the detective came and showed crime scene/suicide photos. The only one that remember vividly to this day was the guy that put a shotgun in his mouth.

This was maybe two years after T2 had come out in theaters, and remember thinking the guy looked just like the T1000 after taking a 12ga. to the face...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    Mine was during the Academy when the detective came and showed crime scene/suicide photos. The only one that remember vividly to this day was the guy that put a shotgun in his mouth.

This was maybe two years after T2 had come out in theaters, and remember thinking the guy looked just like the T1000 after taking a 12ga. to the face...

.50 BMG to the noggin looks about like that, too.

Many years ago when I worked at a grocery store there was a regular customer who had tried to commit suicide with a shotgun and messed it up. He had used birdshot and aimed the barrel up into his face. I speculate that he may have flinched at the last moment because all he managed to do was completely remove his face. He now looks like a shiny pink balloon with two eyes drawn on it and a hole for the mouth.

Level IIIA armor will still defeat 00 Buck and a normal speed lead slug right? I have IIIA armor that is quickly accessible. Level IV stuff, not quite.

User Tag List