Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What performance level do you demand from your carry gun?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Man, this is all beyond me.

I want the gun to go “bang” when I skin it and squeeze the trigger. I want to hit what I’m aiming at at reasonable defensive use ranges. So a 2.5” Model 19 or a 9mm S&W Shield (because this is the semi-auto section) does what likely needs doing.

For me, that works. YMMV.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

I want the gun to go “bang” when I skin it and squeeze the trigger. I want to hit what I’m aiming at at reasonable defensive use ranges. So a 2.5” Model 19 or a 9mm S&W Shield (because this is the semi-auto section) does what likely needs doing.

I think that should be the most important answer to the question, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, some want more and, I think, that is the point of the thread. Who wants how much.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    There was some theorycrafting I did a couple years ago:
    I feel this. This is exactly what I do at work, but with biochemical assays instead of guns. Its useful to know what error is from user and what is from process/hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I think that should be the most important answer to the question, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, some want more and, I think, that is the point of the thread. Who wants how much.
    @Stephanie B

Being able to draw from concealment and reproducibly hit a 25 yard B8 in the black in 2 seconds with a micro carry pistol is conceptually beyond you?

It’s not about 25 yards. It’s about hitting what you aim at more quicklier than the opposition.

For example. If I can do that with a P365x... it also means I can do things like this.

Shotshell from 9 yards off a draw and steel popper hit in under 2 seconds from a draw.

At self defense distances, I can hit proportionally smaller targets accurately and rapidly.

Some people think hitting a man size target slow fire at 5 yards is good enough and it probably is.

But like @MVS said, some people want more out of themselves and don’t want their equipment being the weak link.

More data

@Stephanie B

Here’s another example of what increased speed and accuracy can get you even at “defensive” distances.

On legal sheet sized target, the instructor did a surprise drill called the “running man.”

All I was told was “draw and engage the target with 5 shots on command.”

He manually moved the target up and down the range with the remote and then advanced it right at me like the Tueller drill.

Name:  D91C5082-ED5A-4582-9937-1F47E2EE819F.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  24.5 KB

The head shots are the ones I did on this drill. Because I felt like there was plenty of time and I knew my accuracy could do it without missing.

And oh yeah. I did it left handed. And I am not left handed.

So by being “good” you can have more options with shot placement and hits within an allotted time.

It just scales out to farther distances.

Check this out.

Being great at 7 yards means you’re good at 25 and Vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    It was interesting, I watched some videos from the ransom rest company and they were saying it was first shot settle as the grip settled into the insert under load.
    From reading all the gun rags in the 80's and 90's I have seen the "first shot discrepancy" explained by the difference between hand chambering the round versus the gun chambering it after it fires... as in the barrel, slide, and cartridge all align just a bit differently in the two scenarios.
    Whether or not there is any validity to this notion, I have no idea.

@Stephanie B

Just for revolver purists, here’s a five shot off hand group from a Taurus snubbie at 20 yards.

For a gun like this, my vision (or lack thereof) is the limiting factor.

I got 4 alpha 1 Charlie with stock sights.

Barrel accuracy doesn’t come into it because even though my mechanics are good, the vision is lacking with that sight system.

But for my carry gun, I’ve found that if I put a red dot on it... then vision isn’t the limit. And my mechanics weren’t the hard limit... the barrel was significantly contributing. And it’s a cheap fix to bring that up to speed.

Just like putting a red dot was an easy way to bring my vision up to my mechanics.

The Taurus revolver is a good example of being limited by vision.

Not quite as good as an EDC X9 but I’ll take it.

Attachment 72652
    I’d like to hear more about your impressions of the EDC X9.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

It's not just what we demand from the gun but what we demand from the ammo/gun combination.
    And like you just mentioned add in the sighting system.

I feel the need to clock predators beyond what most people consider self defense ranges with the gun on my person.

So accuracy within reason, for the type of gun it is, matters quite a bit to me.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    @Stephanie B

Being able to draw from concealment and reproducibly hit a 25 yard B8 in the black in 2 seconds with a micro carry pistol is conceptually beyond you?

It’s not about 25 yards. It’s about hitting what you aim at more quicklier than the opposition.

For example. If I can do that with a P365x... it also means I can do things like this.

Shotshell from 9 yards off a draw and steel popper hit in under 2 seconds from a draw.

At self defense distances, I can hit proportionally smaller targets accurately and rapidly.

Some people think hitting a man size target slow fire at 5 yards is good enough and it probably is.

But like @MVS said, some people want more out of themselves and don’t want their equipment being the weak link.
    I get that. And there is nothing wrong with that. The guys who do the experimentation eventually come up with stuff that's usable for the great unwashed.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List