Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What performance level do you demand from your carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I get that. And there is nothing wrong with that. The guys who do the experimentation eventually come up with stuff that's usable for the great unwashed.

Just curious can you go into more detail? I am kinda lost on your rebuttal about “coming up with stuff that’s usable for the great unwashed” in this discussion.

Very interesting subject! I guess it comes back to the old cliche that "most guns are more accurate than the shooter." That's not true of all sidearms but most of mine are capable of better accuracy than I am. It's interesting that it can be very ammo-sensitive, too. My HKs are all fairly mediocre with WWB but are impressively accurate with Federal HST. Off sandbags I can get around 2.5"-3" @ 25 yards with my USPf9 and almost as good with my VP9; even there I suspect part of that is me and that the guns may be capable of more. My primary CCW is a P2000 V2 LEM and due to the trigger I can't do quite as well but it groups adequately. I'd like to send it back to HK to have the V1 LEM parts swapped in as the Light LEM is easier to shoot well.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I get that. And there is nothing wrong with that. The guys who do the experimentation eventually come up with stuff that's usable for the great unwashed.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Just curious can you go into more detail? I am kinda lost on your rebuttal about “coming up with stuff that’s usable for the great unwashed” in this discussion.
    That's what happens in most areas. Experimenters tinker and try to get some more performance out of a thing. Eventually what they are doing has the promise of becoming mature and reliable and then manufacturers work the design.

Most 1911s these days are improved over the 1911/1911A1 design. RMR sights are another thing that has moved from an exotic gizmo into being used for CCW guns.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Very interesting subject! I guess it comes back to the old cliche that "most guns are more accurate than the shooter." That's not true of all sidearms but most of mine are capable of better accuracy than I am. It's interesting that it can be very ammo-sensitive, too. My HKs are all fairly mediocre with WWB but are impressively accurate with Federal HST. Off sandbags I can get around 2.5"-3" @ 25 yards with my USPf9 and almost as good with my VP9; even there I suspect part of that is me and that the guns may be capable of more. My primary CCW is a P2000 V2 LEM and due to the trigger I can't do quite as well but it groups adequately. I'd like to send it back to HK to have the V1 LEM parts swapped in as the Light LEM is easier to shoot well.
    My HK’s seem to like Speer Lawman, which grain weight depends on the gun. They also like HST 147 grain, most preferring the now sadly discontinued +P loading. None of my HK’s likes WWB either, but WWB is outstanding in my Type M Beretta 92. All my Berettas like the 147 Lawman load.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I only recently learned that the 147gr +P HST was discontinued! That's been my primary CCW ammo for many years. Guess I'll have to switch to the regular pressure 147gr as I prefer heavy-for-caliber. I still have a couple hundred rounds on hand at least.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I only recently learned that the 147gr +P HST was discontinued! That's been my primary CCW ammo for many years. Guess I'll have to switch to the regular pressure 147gr as I prefer heavy-for-caliber. I still have a couple hundred rounds on hand at least.
    I’m agnostic as to whether the 147 HST loads I carry are +P or standard pressure. Naturally, the discontinued one is more accurate in most of my guns. ☹️ I was last able to find it in 2017, at less than $20 a box. Should have bought a bunch more. Hindsight is wonderful. Same vendor had the discontinued Federal 124 and 135 bonded loads at comparable pricing.
    Last edited by LtDave; 06-14-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Awesome thread.

What brand barrel do you have in your 365?
    EMS, Rescue, Fire, fun stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Westtexasrancher View Post
    Awesome thread.

What brand barrel do you have in your 365?
    It’s a “True” brand barrel.

I’m playing around with a micro comp now.

Name:  1CB16E8D-47F2-410E-982A-13C4528F8BB3.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  19.2 KB

Thank you sir, sounds like a shooter!!
    EMS, Rescue, Fire, fun stuff

User Tag List