Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the Herd Yes / No?

Cleaning the Herd Yes / No?

Okay. I'm looking in my safe, and I have multiple Gen 5 Glocks and multiple Gen 3 Glocks... I never shoot the Gen 3 Glocks anymore. Is there a reason one shouldn't trade-in even at a loss to get something they would shoot?

At what point do you reach saturation on a platform in your mind? 5 of the same guns... 8... 10...

I'm trying to think in what world I would ever need more than 3-4 of the same platform. Am I missing out on fun times at the range with different guns by having 3+ Gen 5 guns and 3+ Gen 3 guns?

Thinning the herd, not cleaning lol

Depends on if you’re talking about same platform or same model.

Regarding Glocks, there are a number of calibers and configurations in Gen 3 that don’t exist for Gen 5 yet.

So from an aftermarket support standpoint, sometimes Gen 3 are nice.

If it’s a gun I shoot in competition or carry, I might have three to four of the same gun.

From a training standpoint, a nice revolver is good trigger training so I’d consider selling off some Glocks for a Smith and Wesson 686+ or a Ruger LCR9 if you’re married to 9mm.

EDIT: Are you looking to improve your shooting skills or are looking to seem better without improving your skills? If the former, then a revolver. If the latter, then a 1911 in 9mm.

If you're going to thin a Glock herd, now is as good a time as any.
    David S.

In today's gun-starved gun-and-ammunition shortage market, facing a potential spectre of magazine and platform restrictions, you might want to consider divesting yourself of some of your less-used full-sized Glocks and invest in some quality 10-round magazines (I.e., Magpul) for your G19s, etc.. Of course, if you index better with your full-size platforms, consider thinning your compact herd, and invest quality 10 round magazines for your G17s (Magpul...).

Or perhaps consider in investing in quality revolver(s) or size-and-capacity proportionate HK LEM.

All of my Gen 3 Glocks are well vetted and excellent performers. While the Gen5s may offer some valid incrimental improvements in several areas, I don't see them rising to the point that I feel compelled to switch from Gen 3 to Gen5.

I will admit to being tempted by a Gen5 G45 and G22, though. But my Gen4 G22 with it's accompanying additional .357 SIG barrel is doing just fine, and I have a Gen 3 G17 and G19, so I'm not yet at the "compelling" point of jumping into the Gen5s.

Best, Jon

I’m always speaking to get better and practice more. (Using fictional numbers heee because I feel weird talking about how many firearms I may or may not have.

I often here get a carry gun, backup, and training gun. Get 30 magazines or so…

So, I guess Im just wondering if there is any point in having more than 3 or 4 G17/19/45s. Someone mentioned having 4 of a competition gun. That makes sense.

I just wonder if there is a point when your like… a dozen (figurative) of the same thing is a waste…

Maybe a minimalist approach is starting to appeal to me as I get older. Not just guns…

I recently divested of unused guns. Copies, back ups, similar, whatever you call them. I think there comes a point where one feels content with a little redundancy, and then wants some variety. I swapped out some various pistols I hadn't shot in years, for a nice rifle I have yet to shoot. But that's another story.
    Taking a break from social media.

I can't imagine the need or desire to have any more than three Golcks, ever. Well, for full disclosure I don't feel the need for one, so maybe I'm biased.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Gen 3s were going for $1500 during the height of the shortage because they are the only Glocks legal in California. Idk if that is still the case, but it seems like Gen3s in particular are especially worth divesting of (even if you just replace them with Gen5s).
    Join FPC

It's like a corollary of the Rule of Uncommon Guns. In this case, common guns are in demand during times of panic purchasing for a reason.

And panics are a great time to sell off older versions of common guns, and replace them later with something a bit more current. A Gen 5 MOS instead of a Gen 3, or a LTT instead of a bone stock 92FS.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I can't imagine the need or desire to have any more than three Golcks, ever. Well, for full disclosure I don't feel the need for one, so maybe I'm biased.
    Non-operator warning: Even as a long time afficianado of the 1911 (or maybe especially because of that), the whole notion of "a pair and a spare" for a civilian defensive gun seems pretty strange to me. And most of my 1911s are pretty blue collar so allegedly they should be about ready to burst into a cloud or MIM dust.

I just don't think I'll be burning any of my guns out with my 12-15k rounds of ammo per year so I probably don't need a "practice gun and a carry gun and a gun that I can use if the police confiscate the carry gun."

Like damn dude I gotta buy food and pay car bills and buy the fiancee nice stuff too, shit.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List