Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: “Elite” Mexican cartel team, NOT a 5.11 commercial!

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    This is not propaganda to "look like the good guys" but simply to threaten the other competing cartels in the area.

They do look well armed and equiped, scary. And they are right at your border, probably inside too.

One has to remember that every happy easygoing US "recreational drug user" is their biggest supporter.
    I'm not going to argue that the United States does not have a healthy appetite for drugs.

However, the demand for traditional stimulants, heroin, cocaine, etc. has held steady or declined for the last decade here. And the demand for opioids is also declining. Meanwhile, your neighbors in Uruguay have the highest per-capita increase in narcotic use globally.

In addition, Australia/New Zealand and Western Europe dominate the MDMA/Hallucinogen market. And Asian dominates the heroin market (particularly Iran/Iraq).

I know it's convenient to use the US as a scapegoat for drug problems. But on a percentage basis the US is no longer the total globally leader (that's Russia). And when you divvy up by category we're only leading cannabis, opioid, and meth use, however meth is rapidly growing elsewhere and South America, Africa and eastern Europe will soon out pace us.

A friendly reminder that Borderland Beat is back online, after a hiatus. It's a good source of info on cartel-related crime.
    http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

A word of warning - some images and videos are graphic, and I've learned to be circumspect about what I view there.

The cartels literally run the border now. #ThanksBiden
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm not going to argue that the United States does not have a healthy appetite for drugs.

However, the demand for traditional stimulants, heroin, cocaine, etc. has held steady or declined for the last decade here. And the demand for opioids is also declining. Meanwhile, your neighbors in Uruguay have the highest per-capita increase in narcotic use globally.

In addition, Australia/New Zealand and Western Europe dominate the MDMA/Hallucinogen market. And Asian dominates the heroin market (particularly Iran/Iraq).

I know it's convenient to use the US as a scapegoat for drug problems. But on a percentage basis the US is no longer the total globally leader (that's Russia). And when you divvy up by category we're only leading cannabis, opioid, and meth use, however meth is rapidly growing elsewhere and South America, Africa and eastern Europe will soon out pace us.
    I travel to Uruguay often and that is not what I see/hear... perhaps they are reexporting? New routes, reexporting from non traditional countries is very big around here lately. A few months ago an historic record of cocaine seize in Europe came from Paraguay:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56177177

In any case, Uruguay's population is less than 3.5 million, and they don't pay nearly as much street price as the US. Their internal consumption and amount of money that goes into the cartels is negligible.

US druggies demand is largely what fuels the mexican/central america/Colombia cartels, there is no denying that.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    And... How far north of the border? 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

Off the market. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...84074482_zpid/
    Did China close on it already?

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  15.6 KB

"This one is from Governor Abbott of Tejas. 'Dear Cisco, since Biden and Kamala won't do anything to help us with the border crisis, would you and Pancho be good enough to lend us a hand?' C'mon, Pancho. We got work to do!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Now? I think they have been for awhile. Note my link to the bust in Seattle. That was the culmination of an 18 month investigation that happened in 2020.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can put the blame on this US administration, the last one, or even the one before that.

As long as the MX administrations keep changing the rules, political figures and police in MX continue to be corrupted and the market for drugs in the US continues, there will be cartels in MX getting the drugs into the US.

The money laundering is going on in the US by legit businesses who somehow manage to operate without bank loans. In other words they're funded by cartel money, or La Familia.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

The money laundering is going on in the US by legit businesses who somehow manage to operate without bank loans. In other words they're funded by cartel money, or La Familia.
    I started working narco money laundering by the cartels in Miami in 1987. (It was going on well before I arrived down there from NYC.)

The movie "The Infiltrator" with Bryan Cranston was based upon an investigation out of Tampa and Miami involving the laundering of cartel funds through BCCI, (Bank of Credit and Commerce Int'l), as well as "legitimate" businesses. I worked on that case along with many of the individuals portrayed in the movie. In fact, my wife also had a role in assisting the investigation.

The skyline of Miami was built on drug money. Believe it.

(This was before the major shift toward Mexico as we became more effective in shutting down conduits for the Colombian cartels.)

Just another day in the office:

Name:  Cash - Edited.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  48.2 KB
    Last edited by blues; 06-12-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I started working narco money laundering by the cartels in Miami in 1987. (It was going on well before I arrived down there from NYC.)

The movie "The Infiltrator" with Bryan Cranston was based upon an investigation out of Tampa and Miami involving the laundering of cartel funds through BCCI, (Bank of Credit and Commerce Int'l), as well as "legitimate" businesses. I worked on that case along with many of the individuals portrayed in the movie. In fact, my wife also had a role in assisting the investigation.

The skyline of Miami was built on drug money. Believe it.

(This was before the major shift toward Mexico as we became more effective in shutting down conduits for the Colombian cartels.)

Just another day in the office:

Name:  Cash - Edited.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  48.2 KB
    I don't think we properly acknowledge the extreme integrity displayed by officers who don't skim from these operations (or worse) despite typically not reimbursing them adequately for what they are asked to do. Especially now that we are "de-funding" and scalp hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I don't think we properly acknowledge the extreme integrity displayed by officers who don't skim from these operations (or worse) despite typically not reimbursing them adequately for what they are asked to do. Especially now that we are "de-funding" and scalp hunting.
    Thanks, @Willard.

A couple of funny anecdotes...

Once when my partner and I seized 100 bags of $100,000 each, ($10,000,000), heading down to Bolivia aboard an old LAB flight, I had all the cash in the trunk of my car as my partner followed me back to the office to count and store the cash in the evidence room.

I called my wife on the old brick cell phone and joked that if I was a different sort of agent I'd be telling her to meet me at Miami International for a trip out of the country. When she asked why, I told her because I had 10 million reasons in the trunk of the car and I was by myself. We both laughed.

Another time, after seizing a large sum from a Colombian group and going to trial on the money laundering aspects, the defendant stated that the count was $100 off. The judge, the late Kenneth Ryskamp of the Southern District of FL, looked aghast when the defendant alleged this and turned to me on the stand to ask if there was anything to it. I told him we must've needed pizza money since I wasn't in the habit of throwing my career away for 100 bucks. The judge admonished the defense by telling them that he knew this particular agent and found the allegation completely incredible. (Made me feel good to hear it.)

In the end, it's all Monopoly money. The thought to help myself to any of it never entered my mind. In fact I once found some bundles that ended up behind a spare tire in my g-ride and called internal affairs and told them I was on my way up to drop something off. I told them I didn't know where the money came from or what seizure, but on the off chance they put it there as an integrity test..."shame on you".

Thanks again, @Willard. It's good to hear that some folks still have faith in us.

User Tag List