Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing Protection for a Police/Military Firearms Instructor

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethang View Post
    What hearing protection are full time LE Instructors using?

The subject has come up where I work and there is an opinion that models like the Comtac's and Sordins are intended for use only in combat/tactical settings and not for the extended environment of a shooting range, especially a police range. It has also been suggested that the comfortable gel inserts contribute to the problem and should be replaced with foam rubber.

I personally have examples of both and have no issues, but am curious how other instructors think about this. I am not referring to part time instructor or individual officer use, but the full time Instructor.
    I was full time instructor for 3 years in one capacity and 2 years in another.

At my first place we issued instructors Comptacs. I already owned a set of Sordins at the time which I preferred due to the gel cups. I always doubled up whenever possible.

Everything I’ve seen indicates the gel cups provide better protection because they provide a better seal when wearing eye pro which is (or should be) a constant.

As a part timer we locally issued everyone Howard Leight active ear pro which I also upgraded with gel cups. It seems to work as well as the more tactical models. Our guys are now getting Walker Razor active ear pro as the rotate through instructor re-cert not sure if they are getting the gel cups or not.

I STRONGLY encourage doubling up with foamies - and if not wear muffs as bone conduction is a thing especially indoors or when shooting long guns.

I'm not a full time FI, just part time, but due to already having a hearing loss from a misspent youth, I take protecting my hearing very seriously.

Double up, muffs and plugs. That means you need electronic earpro, to cut out the loud shots, and amplify voices.

Skip the low profile headsets (like MSA Sordin, and Peltor Comtac) that are made for use by tactical teams while wearing helmets, and utilizing comms. They sacrifice noise reduction for that low profile, and additional comms hardware. That sacrifice is not only in total noise reduction, but also across the various frequency ranges. The low profile, high priced, sets an average NRR of less than 20dB. If you compare the NRR data, both average, and across the various frequencies, the data shows that's true.

I finally settled on the Peltor Tactical 500 as the best available right now. They have an average NRR of 26dB, and work very well. If you do get those, get a headband pad, as the only serious problem with those is the stupid headband design, that is very uncomfortable. The first time I wore mine was an 8 hour day on the range, and they were terribly uncomfortable. Got a $10 headband cover from Amazon, and problem solved.

Whatever you choose, get the gel ear cups. Not only do they provide added comfort, but more importantly, they will give you a much better seal around the ear, meaning better protection for your hearing.

Speaking of getting a good seal around the ears, you need to consider your eyepro. Most eyepro, even shooting specific eyepro, screws up the seal of the earcups. Consider getting something like the ESS Crossbow Suppressor eyepro, that has thin/flat temples, which allow your earcups to seal to your head much better than traditional eyepro.

Enjoy the new job!

I don't have specific recommendations, because I know that ear pro that works for me might not work for others.

I will echo those who pointed out that your training environment plays a huge roll in how you perceive the risk to your hearing. If you're shooting on an indoor range, even one shooter at a time with pistol for an 8 hour day, and you don't plug and muff with good muffs, you're going to lose hearing. Worst experience I ever had was teaching a new shooter course for three folks, pistols only. Day 1, I showed up with my low profile neck beard approved tactical muffs. We were shooting in a basement range at a local PD, nominally 5 lanes 25 yards deep - think about a concrete tomb 15' x 75'. It was loud AF when those three guys were shooting - no fun at all. That night I went to the local Cabelas, bought some heavier duty electronic muffs, and plugs.

Not all outdoor ranges are created equal, either. I've shot on truly outdoor ranges (no overhead, wide open with just backstops and side berms), and could shoot a crew of 10.3" barrel carbine guys full auto all day without plugging under my muffs. Our outdoor range at MacDill was big and wide, but the firing line had overhead tin roof cover. When we shot our Mk16s or Mk18s from that line, it was abusive the way the blast echoed.

Best bet is to get the most "protective" muffs you can afford, and plug under them, until you figure out exactly what you're up against.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I'm not a full time FI, just part time, but due to already having a hearing loss from a misspent youth, I take protecting my hearing very seriously.

Double up, muffs and plugs. That means you need electronic earpro, to cut out the loud shots, and amplify voices.

Skip the low profile headsets (like MSA Sordin, and Peltor Comtac) that are made for use by tactical teams while wearing helmets, and utilizing comms. They sacrifice noise reduction for that low profile, and additional comms hardware. That sacrifice is not only in total noise reduction, but also across the various frequency ranges. The low profile, high priced, sets an average NRR of less than 20dB. If you compare the NRR data, both average, and across the various frequencies, the data shows that's true.

I finally settled on the Peltor Tactical 500 as the best available right now. They have an average NRR of 26dB, and work very well. If you do get those, get a headband pad, as the only serious problem with those is the stupid headband design, that is very uncomfortable. The first time I wore mine was an 8 hour day on the range, and they were terribly uncomfortable. Got a $10 headband cover from Amazon, and problem solved.

Whatever you choose, get the gel ear cups. Not only do they provide added comfort, but more importantly, they will give you a much better seal around the ear, meaning better protection for your hearing.

Speaking of getting a good seal around the ears, you need to consider your eyepro. Most eyepro, even shooting specific eyepro, screws up the seal of the earcups. Consider getting something like the ESS Crossbow Suppressor eyepro, that has thin/flat temples, which allow your earcups to seal to your head much better than traditional eyepro.

Enjoy the new job!
    The new Safariland TCI Liberators also have a NRR of 26 DB. If you sign up for Safarilands mailing list they frequently send out 25% off codes which make these fairly reasonable. They also use the same Gel ear seals as the MSA Sordins.

Thank you to everybody that has taken time to put their input in. For the record, when I first got here I was using Howard Leights and they were ok. Switched to Sordins and they were great, then went to the Comtacs. Ours is an outdoor range, with covered firing lines. Shooting rifles and shotguns the concussion under the overhang is harsh, but pistols not at all.

I have never felt lacking with either the Sordins or the Comtacs, and was very surprised by the suggestion they are inadequate and only for combat, and not to use the gel inserts. I was just curious if any other instructors had heard that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The new Safariland TCI Liberators also have a NRR of 26 DB. If you sign up for Safarilands mailing list they frequently send out 25% off codes which make these fairly reasonable. They also use the same Gel ear seals as the MSA Sordins.
    Is there another version, because all I can find.says the average NRR is 21dB.

https://safariland.com/collections/t...rotection-dehp
    "NRR 21"

Also, even at 25% off that's way more expensive than the Peltor 500s and gel seals.

For use with a helmet, and comms, that's a good option, but just for use on the range, without a helmet, I still think there are better options.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Is there another version, because all I can find.says the average NRR is 21dB.

https://safariland.com/collections/t...rotection-dehp
    "NRR 21"

Also, even at 25% off that's way more expensive than the Peltor 500s and gel seals.

For use with a helmet, and comms, that's a good option, but just for use on the range, without a helmet, I still think there are better options.
    HCM is most likely talking about the newer Liberator HPs: https://safariland.com/collections/h...tection-lib_hp

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    HCM is most likely talking about the newer Liberator HPs: https://safariland.com/collections/h...tection-lib_hp
    Yes

LIBERATOR® HP 2.0 HEARING PROTECTION
    The Liberator® HP headset is the next generation in electronic hearing protection, offering crisp, clear audio in a durable, scratch-resistant, slim earcup.

The Liberator HP provides enhanced hearing protection in all environments, including those with impulse/gunfire noise and high-decibel, constant background audio. The wearer is protected while advanced sound localization allows for maximum situational awareness and sound detection.

The glass polymer, injection-molded, slim earcups provide excellent durability and is the base earcup for the Liberator IV and V headsets. The Liberator HP can be sent in and converted (for an additional charge) into either a single or dual comm headset. Once the headset has been converted to a Liberator IV or V, a Push-to-Talk (PTT) can also be purchased separately and added to the system.

This product is ANSI Certified but does not yet have CE Certification for our European customers.

*It is recommended to remove the batteries when storing the headset or when the headset is not in use.

**If purchasing a helmet mounting option, the behind-the-head system is also included.

FEATURES
    First of its kind multi-mode adjustability providing Active Noise Reduction (ANR), Active Noise Cancellation and both simultaneously
    3 Distinct hearing protection modes:
    ENHANCED MODE Blocks dangerous impulse noise, while enhancing nearby speech and audio
    MOVE MODE Blocks all external noise
    CLARITY MODE Blocks all external noise, while enhancing nearby speech and audio
    Industry-leading sound localization for maximum situational awareness and sound detection
    Slim earcup design layered with sound barrier technology
    High-definition speakers with enhanced electronics
    Speed-change battery compartment works with either two AAA batteries or one CR123 battery
    160-300 hour run time (mode dependent)
    Noise reduction rating (NRR) of 26dB
    Easily converts to behind-the-head or helmet mount suspension (purchased separately)
    Designed, engineered, and manufactured in the USA

I was a part-time instructor (3-4 days/month) on a large police range for 22 years. I have no opinion on high-end electronic muffs, because I always preferred to have several sets of cheaper ones. I currently have multiple pairs of Howard Leight muffs, $50 on Amazon; they work just fine, and the batteries last. (ETA: per your recent post, those might be what you were already using.)

Just wanted to add my voice to those saying: double up – muffs over plugs! You won't know you're about to flip over into constant tinnitus until it happens, and it takes YEARS to adjust to it. It sucks. I only started doubling up when it was too late, to try to prevent further hearing loss.

Enjoy the job – for me, firearms instruction eventually became the only part of the job I still enjoyed. It was fun and fulfilling until the end.

User Tag List