Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Quality Firearms Instructors - Give me your list!

Current Quality Firearms Instructors - Give me your list!

PF crew, if you were to start listing off quality current handgun (primarily) or carbine instructors, who is on your list? Tom Givens is always on there for me for skill building/CCW/defensive pistol stuff, but I’ve realized I stay on top of The Who’s Who of whatever I’m most interested in at the time e.g. Jedi with RDS, Southnarc and ECQC, etc. This is pretty open ended for quality instruction, from pure skill building from high level competitors to more defense-focused.

Whatcha got?
    Last edited by Adam; 06-09-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    PF crew, if you were to start listing off quality current handgun (primarily) or carbine instructors, who is on your list? Tom Givens is always on there, but my list always seems to narrow as my focus veers here or there e.g. combatives, red dots, etc.

Whatcha got?
    Many are members here:

Red Dot Pistol (and pistol in general) : @AsianJedi Scott Jedlinski of Modern Samurai Project

Pistol and Carbine: @Mr Pink Mike Green and his crew at Green Ops

Combatives: @SouthNarc, Craig Douglas, @Cecil Burch and @Jackdog

Rumor has is Ernest Langdon @LangdonTactical is a pretty good pistol instructor too.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-09-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Many are members here:

Red Dot Pistol (and pistol in general) : @AsianJedi Scott Jedlinski of Modern Samurai Project

Pistol and Carbine: @Mr Pink Mike Green and his crew at Green Ops

Combatives: @SouthNarc, Craig Douglas, @Cecil Burch and @Jackdog
    Indeed! PF is heavy on skill so that’s why I’m deferring to you guys!

PS - OP edited and reworded for clarity.

Mike Pannone
    John Murphy
    John Hearne
    Wayne Dobbs
    Karl Rehn
    Darryl Bolke
    Kyle Defoor
    Bill Rapier

I know you didn’t mention shotgun instruction, but…

Rob and Matt Haught
    Tim Chandler
    Ashton Ray
    And again, DB

I’ve trained with all of the above and they are all at the top of their game.

I haven’t trained with Mas Ayoob or Dave Spaulding yet, but I wouldn’t hesitate to take a class with either of them before they retire from teaching.

Gunsite is always a good immersive experience. I was fortunate to have Ed Head as my rangemaster back in 2004.

And I’m eternally blessed that my initial handgun instruction was from Tom Givens at the original Rangemaster right after he first opened it in the late 90’s in Memphis.

Why Gabe White isn't at the top of this list is beyond me... @Mr_White

I'd also point out our own @Paul Sharp - Rev Pistol was one of the best fundamentals classes I ever took.

Mickey at Carrytrainer has some good info - solid place to begin building a good mindset.

Tom Givens should be at the top of any list of current worthwhile instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Mike Pannone
    [SNIP]

And I’m eternally blessed that my initial handgun instruction was from Tom Givens at the original Rangemaster right after he first opened it in the late 90’s in Memphis.
    My first traveling class was to Rangemaster for Combative Pistol with Tom. I was considering a maybe considered controversial *choot dem in da faaaaace* school and a guy PMed me and mentioned Tom's name. Then I saw it again and again and again and reached out to Tom. One of the best training decisions I've made for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

I'd also point out our own @Paul Sharp - Rev Pistol was one of the best fundamentals classes I ever took.

Mickey at Carrytrainer has some good info - solid place to begin building a good mindset.
    Gabe is definitely on my list and is admittedly more intimidating for me than ECQC was because I will really learn I have meh pistol performance. (Mostly joking, at least about the intimidating part)

PS - you're an ok shooter yourself man.

Paul is one of my missing Shivworks Collective training tokens. Paul fire up MDOC again, I want to come to Idaho anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Tom Givens should be at the top of any list of current worthwhile instructors.
    Absolutely. He's on the pistolcraft Rushmore IMO.

Chuck Pressburg and Craig Douglas have been the best instructors I've experienced so far.

Site Supporter
    Two excellent instructors who’ve been around a long time are Scott Reitz of ITTS and Paul Howe of CSAT. However neither travels anymore so you have to go to them (Los Angeles CA and Nacogdoches TX respectively.

Scott is known for shotgun and was doing vehicle tactics long before anyone called it VCQB. He also teaches pistol and precision rifle. Paul Howe is best known for tactics and rifle/carbine and also does pistol.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

1) because he doesn’t post much here anymore - out of sight, out of mind.

2) Paul still doing firearms training ?

3) for mindset info I would also suggest anything one can find by the late Dr. William Aprill.

User Tag List