Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alexa & Ring: Mass Surveillance Potential

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I swear I am going to have more appliances on my LAN than actual computers.
    Your appliances are "actual computers" running a stripped down OS, if I'm not mistaken.

So, I'm talking with the toaster last night. And he mentions that the microwave has been a bit depressed of late and he's concerned he might do something drastic...a la suicide by owner. I told him I just didn't see this coming. The refrigerator commiserated with me and agreed to contact me via bluetooth if anything seems out of line.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    So, I'm talking with the toaster last night. And he mentions that the microwave has been a bit depressed of late and he's concerned he might do something drastic...a la suicide by owner. I told him I just didn't see this coming. The refrigerator commiserated with me and agreed to contact me via bluetooth if anything seems out of line.
    Don’t the lights and outlets get a vote?

I sweartagod I was walking through Costco the other day and saw a display of 120vac WiFi enabled outlets. I’m suspicioning they’ll need a hub of some kind to connect them all to.

And did I mention the disused iPhones I plan to run to create a security system using local video based on their cameras using the “presence” app?

Heh I may need a couple subnet masks if I go over 255 devices...

My thermostat says hi to your toaster by the way.

Don’t the lights and outlets get a vote?

I sweartagod I was walking through Costco the other day and saw a display of 120vac WiFi enabled outlets. I’m suspicioning they’ll need a hub of some kind to connect them all to.

And did I mention the disused iPhones I plan to run to create a security system using local video based on their cameras using the “presence” app?

Heh I may need a couple subnet masks if I go over 255 devices...

My thermostat says hi to your toaster by the way.
    That was all made up. I actually have no smart appliances in my household. And my appliances have no smart owners. Well, except for my wife. That goes without saying, of course.

I'd never be able to sleep wondering what conspiracies the little shits were dreaming up.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And my appliances have no smart owners. Well, except for my wife. That goes without saying, of course.
    Ha! Same here.

On topic: I don’t have any plans to get an Alexa or enable any other digital assistant in the new house. Zuck and Bezos and their minions probably already know my shoe size and contents of my sock drawer already.

I am mildly concerned about the number of devices that SWMBO is planning to buy, in addition to the existing phones, laptops, printer, tablets, TVs, and wireless home stereo speakers that’s currently allocated IP addresses on my Netgear router. I’ve got two high speed nets and one low speed I have allocated.

So far as I’ve been informed, I have to accommodate an additional:

Washer,
    Dryer,
    Roomba,
    Possibly a Roomba-like damp mop, which evidently communicates with the Roomba,
    A pair of speakers out on the deck,
    The fridge,
    and the aforementioned Thermostat.

I kinda drew the line at a WiFi enabled door lock. I’m definitely not thrilled exposing that IP outside my firewall.

We shall see. Maybe like the meme says, I can mount a Claymore on the Roomba, and program my lights to turn out and have my Sonos play “Welcome to the Jungle” if my camera system detects an intruder.

We shall see. Maybe like the meme says, I can mount a Claymore on the Roomba, and program my lights to turn out and have my Sonos play “Welcome to the Jungle” if my camera system detects an intruder.
    Claymore on a Rommba. I like it.

Until I see "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY"!

So my wife walks in and asks why I’m pointing a gun at the toaster. I say “It’s a fucking Decepticon!” I laughed, she laughed, the toaster laughed, it was a good time.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    So my wife walks in and asks why I’m pointing a gun at the toaster. I say “It’s a fucking Decepticon!” I laughed, she laughed, the toaster laughed, it was a good time.
    You forgot the part where you shot the toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    You forgot the part where you shot the toaster.
    It was a kitchen pop. Everyone does one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Tell me more about this. How are they dropping service?
    Nothing particularly interesting, just the 5G rollout killing 2G and 3G service. Most phones with confirmed Graphene success stories are old enough to get bricked. If you live in a smaller market, you'll have more time but it's coming.

User Tag List