Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alexa & Ring: Mass Surveillance Potential

Broad stroke it, I'm not watching someone babble on a video for a long time.

They can interact with other devices responding to the same frequencies so, even if one isn't in your house, going within range of one gets you caught in the net all the same. Smartphones, tablets, etc.

It's no new news and being targeted as an individual is still unlikely and not as easy to achieve as many would think. For those concerned about personal ownership of data, the surveillance state, and tech's ever-watching eye, it's another brick in the wall.

I remember a post by @AMC regarding his Mother In Law believing that Alexa was Satanic or something of that nature. She got one as a gift. They fired it up, and he asked "Alexa, are you the tool of Satan?" It replied, "Sorry, I can't answer that question."

Site Supporter
    Too long / did not watch.

If you think this new development is concerning you have not been paying attention and are a decade or two late to the party,

Site Supporter

Talking speaker boxes in my house, I don’t know about that..
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you think this new development is concerning you have not been paying attention and are a decade or two late to the party,
    It's concerning even if it is more of the same (Facebook tracking non-members across the internet, Amazon now tracking non-members across the street, and so-on). But it's really just an excuse to post the best video rendition of 1984 which I tripped over, today.

Wait till you find out what Flock cameras are doing with AI!

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Wait till you find out what Flock cameras are doing with AI!
    Sometimes new problems have old solutions.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I remember a post by @AMC regarding his Mother In Law believing that Alexa was Satanic or something of that nature. She got one as a gift. They fired it up, and he asked "Alexa, are you the tool of Satan?" It replied, "Sorry, I can't answer that question."
    Yeah, it was my aunt. We thought it would be great for her. Looking up recipes, checking the weather, etc. She hates the damn thing. Convinced its the Antichrist. I'm not totally convinced she's wrong.

User Tag List