Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Charter Arms Professional...6 shot 357 magnum 3 inch barrel

Trying to get more info....

Both still happy?
    Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-21-2022 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gp100man View Post
    I have the Charter Arms Professional II(#63526) in 6 shot .357 magnum. I like it very much. Great revolver.
    THE HKS 586-A Speedloader fit my #63526 perfectly. This speedloader designed for the GP-100/SW686 is the
    right size for the Charter arms Professional #63526.
    Good article about this piece in the June/July 2021American Rifleman magazine.
    On facebook, if you look up Charter Arms classics, and scroll down, you will find a lot on this revolver.
    Can't figure out how to post on this page from off my computer. It says from URL only.

For reference purposes: CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL II (63526) Black nitride 3 inch.
    CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL (73526) Stainless Steel 3 inch.
    CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL III (63546) Black Nitride 4.2 inch.
    CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL VI (73546) Stainless Steel 4.2 inch.
    So today confirmed the .357 Professional is on the XL frame...like their .45s...

The .32 Professional is on their Large Frame.

So was in two guys that had the .357 version? And if so, what size holsters kinda worked best?

What weight .357's hit closest to POA/POI?

How have they held up? Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    I haven’t fed it alot of 357 mag ..and not alot of even 38+P .. due to the expense .. mostly 38spl standard pressure
    And it is as tight as new

The cylinder diameter is larger than a S&W L frame .. I wish Charter would build a 7 shot 38spl on this setup
    So today confirmed the .357 Professional is on the XL frame...like their .45s...

So was in two guys that had the .357 version? And if so, what size holsters kinda worked best? It seems like that would be a lot bigger than an sp101 but smaller than gp100? Which holster would be better? Or like inbetween those so L-frame 686ish?

Do you know what wt. .357's seemed to hit near POA/POI and similar question re .38s? Thank you

So do we have two that are happy with it?

Buckeye can you list what models/calibers you have and which ones you like the best? Is one of those a Pitbull and how easy is it to extract cases?

Any of them a 6-shot Police Undercoverette the predecessor to the Boxer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post

So was in two guys that had the .357 version? And if so, what size holsters kinda worked best? It seems like that would be a lot bigger than an sp101 but smaller than gp100? Which holster would be better? Or like inbetween those so L-frame 686ish?

Do you know what wt. .357's seemed to hit near POA/POI and similar question re .38s? Thank you

So do we have two that are happy with it?

Buckeye can you list what models/calibers you have and which ones you like the best? Is one of those a Pitbull and how easy is it to extract cases?

Any of them a 6-shot Police Undercoverette the predecessor to the Boxer?

Thanks
    For my Charter XL framed 357 Professional Im using a modified K frame holster

The Bulldog Frames .. ( 44spl , 38 Police 6shot , 9mm , 40S&W ,32 H&R 7 shot )

The Boxer is a Aluminum Bulldog frame .. I have seen it as a 6 shot 38 & 7 shot 32 H&R ..

I have had pretty good luck with the couple dozen ( or more ) Charters over the years
    But it seems there QC has been lacking a bit , like most manufacturers..

Name:  F0DC4E0B-C8CF-4D8F-8A90-246E0E1F44C9.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  105.6 KB

Pic of my 45acp

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Name:  F0DC4E0B-C8CF-4D8F-8A90-246E0E1F44C9.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  105.6 KB

Pic of my 45acp
    Thank you for replying.

Re K frame holster...you had to make it a big bigger/stretch it for cylinder width or what?

Are those like Pachmayr 02523 Compact Grips, Charter Arms Black on that? That looks great!

Do all Charter Arms from Small to XL take the Same Grips???

There are some Wood ones I would really like, and there are some good looking G10's on their site but those might tear hands up in .357

The Boxer I didled, and the one my friend reviewed were pretty good quality it seemed just some tool marks. The 9mm Pitbull I handled last week in gun store looked really good quality, solid lockup etc.

Unfortunately the .38's and the .357 Polished 3" Mag Pug I handled in stores weren't as good.

So I am a bit torn.

I really like what it seems the Professional, Boxer, and Pitbulls bring to the table especially.

Which are your favorites, and how it that Pitbull .45acp to shoot? What do you like and dislike about it and other ones?

Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by TheKuduKing View Post
    The usual Charter haters come out whenever that company is mentioned, but truth be told they are quite strong and serviceable guns. However, they are intentionally light-framed guns, and they will not withstand thousands of hot loads without developing the usual revolver problems of end-shake and timing (common to all DA revolvers). They are also economical, so neither are they exquisite specimens of the gun making art - the finish, rougher polish and tool marks will not appeal to the connoisseur of fine pre-war Colts.

Numerous gun makers large and small have gone through bankruptcy, reorganization and distressed sales, only to recover (Colt and S&W come to mind). Charter Arms was founded in 1964 and has always been a smaller company, and so inevitable changes of ownership did result in some distress during 1996-2005. Charter was late to change from traditional manufacturing techniques and so there were some growing pains. They have been back on their feet for many years now and selling guns faster than they can make them.

Their website is cranky and does not show their entire product line. In addition, they add new versions of existing models frequently during the year. Being a small company, I suppose they don't put enough resources into updating their site. Also, supply chain and other issues facing most manufacturers have forced unplanned changes regarding which models are offered and how often. However, a quick search of various distributors shows a plethora of models and variations.

I have had numerous Charters over the years. They offer very lightweight and serviceable revolvers. Their QC is no different than S&W, Ruger and Colt, which unfortunately doesn't say much today. However, they have the same Lifetime Warranty as S&W, and in the event of a problem they will cheerfully fix it on their dime and do it much faster than the others. The last brand new S&W revolver I purchased in February was a disaster right out of the box, and it took S&W nearly 3 months to replace it after being returned. Charter turn-around is generally about 3 weeks on repairs.

And they are 100% American made.

The Charter Arms Professional (blue) or Professional IV (Stainless) in .32 H&R Magnum, and are NOT built on the XL frame. They are built on the Large frame, which is the same as the 5-shot .44 Special Bulldog, the 5-shot .357 Mag Pug and the 6-shot .38 Special Police Undercover.

Charter Professional .32 H&R Magnum (Large Frame)
    Attachment 98560

Charter Police Undercover (Large Frame)
    Attachment 98561

The XL frame as noted by others is an oversized frame for their 5-shot niche guns in .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .41 Mag and the 6-shot .357 Magnum Professional II, III, V and IV.

Charter .41 Mag Pug (XL Frame)
    Attachment 98563

I have carrying the Police Undercover .38 Special and the Undercoverette in .32 H&R magnum. The latter is built on their Small Frame and is a 6-shot. Charter has been building mostly aluminum frames lately - as S&W is, due to both demand, lower cost of raw material, and easier machining. The Police Undercover and Undercoverette were originally steel frame guns and they are now aluminum frames.

Charter Undercoverette
    Attachment 98562

I like the aluminum frames much better! The guns are finished better and have better trigger pulls. Speaking of the latter, these are greatly improved on the newest Charters. The trigger pull is more Colt-like than S&W. Also, Charters lock up MUCH tighter than S&W guns, much in the manner of Colts, and they have always had locking at the front of the cylinder on the yoke.

The .32 H&R Mag guns are ideal for recoil sensitive folks. The guns ship with very serviceable rubbery-synthetic grips that fit a wide variety of hands as they are not too thick. All grips for Charter arms are interchangeable regardless of frame size, as the grip frame is a separate piece and is the same for all. The Professionals shown above have Charter factory grips in synthetic and wood. The Hogue grips pictured on the Police Undercover are even better for folks with grip issues as they are even more cushioning, yet not overly large like the Pachmayrs.

None of these guns have given me a lick of trouble. The sights on Charters are generally sighted for heavy standard bullet weights at 7 yards with center hold, which is plenty adequate for self-defense at typical distances. Most of mine I have filed the front blade to match to the trajectory of lighter or faster handloads @ 15 yards - but I'm purist.

The fiber optic front sight on the original Professionals resulted in a low POI with anything other than a so-called "combat hold". They were still usable at normal defensive distances, but not ideal. The current production has addressed the issue with a change to the barrel rib. Charter will fix older guns than are shooting low - as you can see on my blued model they fitted an adjustable rear sight.

The most effective factory load in .32 H&R Magnum that is readily available - Buffalo Bore aside - is the Hornady 80 grain FTX. The recoil is quite mild and the performace is superior to .32 S&W Long factory wadcutters, which are particularly underpowered and designed for bullseye shooting.

Attachment 98564
    Wow this post gives so much I should have read it a few times originally.

If I decided to get the Professional .357.....I think it is all of 25 ounces...and I have more .357 ammo than .38 so...
    IF I changed the grips which would you change them to? I love the looks of Rosewood Grips the best and might buy Premium Gun Grips online to get a better look. They offer a G10 Grip on the Charter site or Amazon w a red/black color scheme would look great but worried would char up hands w .357. Other .357's I shoot are with Altamont Grips...but much heavier at 34.5-37ounce range.

Or do you think I should get the Pachmayr 02523 Compact Grips or Better the Hogue Monogrip? I can handle recoil pretty good, but 25 vs 35 ounces is going to be a substantial difference I am sure.

I am a big guy and concealment isn't a factor would probably carry OWB in a Don Hume Holster since they usually hook me up and they offer one that fits the Pitbull .45acp at 3:30ish though I prefer a no cant at 3oclock that seems to be best option. Or fork over money to MLCustomShop which are the ones on Charters website. I do have a couple owb leather GP100 Holsters and technically a K-frame holster already.

I did talk to Nick on the phone a couple times yesterday......though I didn't realize at the time it was the CEO I was talking to lol. That is something.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you

P.S. it looks like Taurus 85/856 Grips would almost be the same as Charter Grips looking at pics...w maybe just the grip screw hole is farther back on one vs the other. IDK just an observation looking at pics of the Premium Gun Grips online.
    Last edited by DanTheWolfman; 12-22-2022 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWolfman View Post
    Thank you for replying.

Re K frame holster...you had to make it a big bigger/stretch it for cylinder width or what?

Are those like Pachmayr 02523 Compact Grips, Charter Arms Black on that? That looks great!

Do all Charter Arms from Small to XL take the Same Grips???

There are some Wood ones I would really like, and there are some good looking G10's on their site but those might tear hands up in .357

The Boxer I didled, and the one my friend reviewed were pretty good quality it seemed just some tool marks. The 9mm Pitbull I handled last week in gun store looked really good quality, solid lockup etc.

Unfortunately the .38's and the .357 Polished 3" Mag Pug I handled in stores weren't as good.

So I am a bit torn.

I really like what it seems the Professional, Boxer, and Pitbulls bring to the table especially.

Which are your favorites, and how it that Pitbull .45acp to shoot? What do you like and dislike about it and other ones?

Thanks so much
    The K frame holster .. I soaked it.. slipped the XL frame Charter in it ( wrapped in plastic wrap) formed it and let it dry

The 357 Professional has a really nice trigger .. Maybe because it has a Nitride finish ?

I don’t think I’ve had a Charter I didn’t like .. I had a Charter Bulldog in 44 that the yoke didn’t fit well .. Charter fixed it .. shipped it back .. but then the cylinder drug .. sent it back again .. it was then fixed ..I traded it off .. and purchased another.. that had much better fit and finish …

User Tag List