Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Professional...6 shot 357 magnum 3 inch barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Hits all the usual talking points I see in articles about Charter revolvers.

I wonder how fragile that fiberoptic front sight is.

I've had 3 Charters ever, all in the past decade. Interesting design. I just wish the transfer bar wasn't so prone to breaking in what, for me, is normal handling and use. And wasn't such a PITA to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Hits all the usual talking points I see in articles about Charter revolvers.

I wonder how fragile that fiberoptic front sight is.

I've had 3 Charters ever, all in the past decade. Interesting design. I just wish the transfer bar wasn't so prone to breaking in what, for me, is normal handling and use. And wasn't such a PITA to replace.
    My sight has held up well
    Shouldn’t be hard to replace .. In the past I have changed out the fiber optic on other guns .. trim and use a match

After 32 years of owning at least one Charter .. I never had a transfer bar to break
    But I have heard of people have had problems with them .. Im lucky

After 32 years of owning at least one Charter .. I never had a transfer bar to break
    But I have heard of people have had problems with them .. Im lucky
    I've only owned one Charter and I don't remember the model. I think it was 1970's production and was their J snub equivalent (undercover, maybe?). It did indeed break the transfer bar in the short time I had it. Then again they've been through so many changes of ownership not sure it says anything about quality control and design durability today.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    I put Charter revolvers into that category of handguns that are seldom fired but perhaps carried. Unless something about them has changed, they do not withstand high volume firing. The Professional described here is similar in size to a gp100. I would prefer a smaller revolver even though it would be a 5 shot.

I've had a checkered past with Charters, their 44 3" Bulldog I would buy again. My first Bulldog 44 was in my 20s and I thought Keith loads should work. Today 50 years later, a well designed full wadcutter weighing 200-215grains over a powder that would develop an honest 800fps is very doable.

The professional by Charter does not weigh in the GP100 class, which is 40ozs and I have them. But they weigh 25 oz and are roughly the same size as a 3" SP101 Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I've had a checkered past with Charters, their 44 3" Bulldog I would buy again. My first Bulldog 44 was in my 20s and I thought Keith loads should work. Today 50 years later, a well designed full wadcutter weighing 200-215grains over a powder that would develop an honest 800fps is very doable.

The professional by Charter does not weigh in the GP100 class, which is 40ozs and I have them. But they weigh 25 oz and are roughly the same size as a 3" SP101 Ruger.
    I agree that the Charter Professional is in the same class as the SP101 (the D frame sized class) despite being slightly taller and having a bigger cylinder. American Rifleman got it wrong by calling it a "medium size revolver." Other guns in this class include the Charter Police Undercover (six shot .38 on Bulldog frame), Colt Cobra/King Cobra, Taurus 856, and Kimber K6S. All of these guns have something in common that makes the SP101 stick out like a sore thumb. Take a hint Ruger.

I have considered the Police Undercover from time to time, but I have not seen/read many reviews on those little guns.

Attachment 72759

Good revolver so far .. built on the Charter XL frame ..
    Hey Buckeye is the Professional still holding up good?

This, and their new Boxer....give specs/capacity that I really like to weight ratio

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I was as diplomatic as I could be with the last Charter I reviewed, but I was pretty underwhelmed.

The Bulldog Pug I owned in the Nineties was the worst firearm I've ever owned that wasn't made of zinc.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List