Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Professional...6 shot 357 magnum 3 inch barrel

Given Charter Arm's reputation, I'd be exceptionally wary of any of their products, let alone a new model. I'd take a reliable, vetted 3" 6-shooter (or 7-shooter) over an unvetted, previously problematic manufacturer. Ruger's GP 100 3" variants, or a used Ruger Speed Six come to mind....I'd even be more inlined to test one of Kimber's K6 revolvers...

Best, Jon

This is why I have avoided the 3 inch Taurus 856, which seems like a great gun, but remains a Taurus. I have heard a lot of negatives about Charter, but at least I can say that I have never had a bad experience with them. That is perhaps because I have never had, or to the best of my recollection even touched a Charter. But still. So I was interested in a lightweight 6 shooter, like I had previously been interested in the 7 shooter 32 h&r. Still am interested in the latter, actually, and would almost certainly buy one if there were speedloaders. I doubt I'd ever actually carry it, but I'd like to have the option of considering it and deciding against.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Name:  8859518A-DB83-4C80-A5B9-FBF9761EA0AB.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  106.3 KB

Good revolver so far .. built on the Charter XL frame ..

Site Supporter
    There's lot of discussion of the Charter Arms Professional sight problems.

A fix - which I have no experience with the gun or the fix - bulzeye32@AOL.com charter arms

32 H&R fans rejoice

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Name:  8859518A-DB83-4C80-A5B9-FBF9761EA0AB.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  106.3 KB

Good revolver so far .. built on the Charter XL frame ..
    Thank you, buckeye63, for posting a picture. Everyone who posted previously with no pictures should be banned for life. I mean, really, people. At least a link if you don’t know how to post pics. All of us lazy people would really appreciate it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Name:  24BE69B8-66A4-4E40-A050-5B6BA5D8AE32.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  99.5 KB

I have a few Charters …. I had problems with one .. sent it in .. it was fixed and returned..

Not many companies that you can actually speak to the owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Everyone who posted previously with no pictures should be banned for life. I mean, really, people. At least a link if you don’t know how to post pics. All of us lazy people would really appreciate it.
    Name:  Nope.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  37.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    A note of caution on the 7-shot 32 Charter. Everything I've read about them indicates they don't shoot to point of aim with anything. Charter's design of the front sight is way off.

YMMV,
    Dave
    After my 640 struggles, I should know not to get excited about fixed sight revolvers.

I wanna 7-shot .327 3" something. Should be enough for me for a long time, considering the power spectrum available.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    After my 640 struggles, I should know not to get excited about fixed sight revolvers.

I wanna 7-shot .327 3" something. Should be enough for me for a long time, considering the power spectrum available.
    Sorry to hear about your 640 issues. I had a similar problem with my 3" GP100, but Ruger customer service took care of me, and now it is right on with 158 grain magnums. I really like fixed sight revolvers, as long as they are in the ballpark with standard weight bullets (158 grain in .38/.357).

It is not a seven shooter, but Ruger offers the six shot .327 SP101 with a 3" barrel. With that said, I think a .327 LCRX with a 3" barrel would make more sense in the Ruger lineup. The SP101 should really be a six shot .38/.357. Ruger recently made some modifications to the GP frame to fix the seven round rimlock issue, and increased cylinder diameter. Hopefully, the SP frame will recieve the same treatment, to take away the one advantage that other revolvers in its class have over it.

A seven shot .327 Federal might work with a D frame size...ish cylinder (roughly 1.40" in diameter). The Single Seven single action has a 1.418" diameter cylinder, which is very similar to the other D frame class of revolvers (856, Police Undercover, Cobra, new King Cobra, and K6S). There also seems to be plenty of meat (sorry about the phrasing) between the chambers. A revised SP101 might also be the ticket for that combination. Yet another reason for Ruger to do this.... Get your sh*t together Ruger.

It is also good to hear a solid customer service report from Charter. Good CS is becoming more and more of a rarity. That is always something that folks should consider when shopping for a new firearm. That is one my biggest aversions to some of the new D frame sized revolvers.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 06-13-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Speedloader for the Charter Arms Professional II in 6 shot .357 magnum.

I have the Charter Arms Professional II(#63526) in 6 shot .357 magnum. I like it very much. Great revolver.
    THE HKS 586-A Speedloader fit my #63526 perfectly. This speedloader designed for the GP-100/SW686 is the
    right size for the Charter arms Professional #63526.
    Good article about this piece in the June/July 2021American Rifleman magazine.
    On facebook, if you look up Charter Arms classics, and scroll down, you will find a lot on this revolver.
    Can't figure out how to post on this page from off my computer. It says from URL only.

For reference purposes: CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL II (63526) Black nitride 3 inch.
    CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL (73526) Stainless Steel 3 inch.
    CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL III (63546) Black Nitride 4.2 inch.
    CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL VI (73546) Stainless Steel 4.2 inch.

User Tag List