Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Professional...6 shot 357 magnum 3 inch barrel

Charter Arms Professional...6 shot 357 magnum 3 inch barrel

I know, it's a Charter Arms. I was very interested in the 7 shot 32 H&R version of this revolver when it came out a few years ago, but as far as I could discover there are no speedloaders available for it. The 6 shot 357 magnum version must--??--work with some 6 shot speedloaders, right? Reviewed in the NRA magazine I got today, but no mention that I saw of speedloaders.

I am going to be awfully tempted to sell my 642 and buy me a Professional. Anyone here have one/see one/know about them?
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I know, it's a Charter Arms. I was very interested in the 7 shot 32 H&R version of this revolver when it came out a few years ago, but as far as I could discover there are no speedloaders available for it. The 6 shot 357 magnum version must--??--work with some 6 shot speedloaders, right? Reviewed in the NRA magazine I got today, but no mention that I saw of speedloaders.

I am going to be awfully tempted to sell my 642 and buy me a Professional. Anyone here have one/see one/know about them?
    That is very interesting. I did not know that Charter was offering a D frame sized .357 to compete with the King Cobra/K6S. I am very glad to learn of another new small frame, six shot offering. I have also not seen any recent reviews of the 6 shot Police Undercover model.

As far as speedloaders go, I believe that Charter has the largest cylinder diamater of all of the D frame sized class of revolvers. This might impact use with the typical HKS Model DS speedloader. Perhaps an HKS model 10 or Safariland Comp II (model no. J-K2C) would work?

Thank you for bringing this up. I am very happy about this trend of new D frame sized revolvers. I am also looking to switch to a D frame sized gun and would love to find out more about current Charter QC and customer service.

After doing a little more browsing, it seems the new .357 is built on the "XL" frame. The gun is very similar to a D frame sized gun in length and weight, but has a slightly taller frame and a 1.60" diameter cylinder. Perhaps a HKS 586 or Safariland J-GL8C will work better. I guess we will have to play the waiting game to find out more. Charter also needs to update their website. Many of their new offerings are not listed. That does not inspire confidence.

On a side note, another sub 30 ounce six shot .38/.357 small frame revolver is a very good thing for the market.

*Eyeballs Ruger*

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    On a side note, another sub 30 ounce six shot .38/.357 small frame revolver is a very good thing for the market.

*Eyeballs Ruger*
    No shit, Ruger! You’re being beaten by Charter Arms, fer chrissakes!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    No shit, Ruger! You’re being beaten by Charter Arms, fer chrissakes!
    That comment made me spit my sweet tea all over my laptop.

A six shot .38/.357 SP101 NEEDS to happen. A D frame sized gun should always have D frame capacity. It is time to address the elephant in the room. If lowly Charter Arms can offer something like this, Ruger sure can.

Yes, sorry about being unclear on the size! It's not as small as I'd like.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Yes, sorry about being unclear on the size! It's not as small as I'd like.
    Understood. Finding info on Charter's newest offerings is tough for what ever reason. It is a little taller and wider than other revolvers in its class (Taurus 856, Colt Cobra/King Cobra, Kimber K6S, Charter's own Police Undercover, and the aforementioned SP101 that badly needs a frame update). I guess they added a little extra height and cylinder diameter for security sakes (I don't know what the frame material is). I think they also offer other calibers on this frame size as well. However, it seems to be comparable in length, weight, and grip size to other D frame sized revolvers.

Regardless of how this pans out, it is a good thing for the market. Yet another thing that makes me want to scream everytime I see an SP101.

First I've heard of the 7 shot 32 version of this pistol and I'm really intrigued. My father has asked for my advice recently about a pistol for the house and honestly I've been struggling with coming up with a goldilocks solution. He will be 80 this year, had a stroke about 10 years ago so really only has full mobility and strength in one hand, and the good arm strength isn't that great. Initial thoughts were .22 revolver ala LCRx 3 inch but trigger pull on the 22s are too heavy for his current hand strength. I think his days of shooting .38 special are over (wadcutter included), but I think he could still manage decent marksmanship with a .32 wadcutter hence my interest in this particular revolver. So, provided proper vetting of the pistol by myself and a reasonable trigger, why wouldn't this be the perfect solution? 3 inch barrel, reasonable capacity, simple manual of arms,

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    First I've heard of the 7 shot 32 version of this pistol and I'm really intrigued. My father has asked for my advice recently about a pistol for the house and honestly I've been struggling with coming up with a goldilocks solution. He will be 80 this year, had a stroke about 10 years ago so really only has full mobility and strength in one hand, and the good arm strength isn't that great. Initial thoughts were .22 revolver ala LCRx 3 inch but trigger pull on the 22s are too heavy for his current hand strength. I think his days of shooting .38 special are over (wadcutter included), but I think he could still manage decent marksmanship with a .32 wadcutter hence my interest in this particular revolver. So, provided proper vetting of the pistol by myself and a reasonable trigger, why wouldn't this be the perfect solution? 3 inch barrel, reasonable capacity, simple manual of arms,
    FWIW, handled one at a gun show a couple years back. As I recall DA and SA trigger felt a little rough but were manageable. The rear sight trough seemed a bit crude in its cut but usable. The fiber optic front sight really popped though. Balance in the hand was nice. At an ask of $299 considered taking a flyer on it. My wife has hand issues stemming from an accident requiring hand surgery and can't handle any real amount of recoil anymore. Like for your dad, something like this loaded with .32 S&W Long wadcutters seems like a good option for her. We ended up spending on something else that day but have intermittently looked for another on Gunbroker.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    A note of caution on the 7-shot 32 Charter. Everything I've read about them indicates they don't shoot to point of aim with anything. Charter's design of the front sight is way off.

YMMV,
    Dave

User Tag List