Thread: Anyone shot Sellier and Bellot 180 JHP in 10mm?

Anyone shot Sellier and Bellot 180 JHP in 10mm?

I found some of this at LGS for $35/box. I have been shooting the SB 180 FMJ and it shoots well. The manufacturer claims 1165 FPS. I have seen a few Utube tests revealing slower results. This looks like good self defense ammo. Wondering how it would do on a White-tail at 50 yards.

I have shot that out of my CQB Elite and Glock 20. Very mild for a 10mm but if used well I imagine the whitetail will swear it was hit by an elephant gun. The hornady 180 and 155 grain loads come closest to the original Norma 10 mm I had for my Bren 10.( still have a few ?!?).

No but I've shot alot of S&B in other calibers and liked it all.

Dan Wesson told me they use the SB180 to test their 10mm 1911s. I find they shoot well in my pistol. I also like the Federal 180 but they advertise slower velocity of 1050 vs 1165 FPS. And my ejection distance is a couple feet shorter with the Federal so I believe it.

May or may not be useful info but I can tell you that load had the jacket separate completely from the core and penetrated less than some 9mm loads when fired into water jugs. Nice big splash though!

I would definitely get something higher quality for hunting. Lots of solid choices in 10mm, I would consider a 180gr or 200gr XTP as they tend to favor penetration over expansion. Check out the luckygunner 10mm tests.

If you are shooting game, use an XTP bullet. The Hornady factory load is higher velocity than the S&B for the same bullet weight and is a tougher, deeper penetrating projectile.

The S&B is very mild stuff for 10mm, in my experience.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

It shoots fine, but I use it for range fodder.

User Tag List