Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Maverick mini pickup

Site Supporter
    Color me moderately intrigued. I concur re buying a first year of almost anything. I would consider leasing one in 2023 when my 20 Jetta is up. I strongly concur that this checks a lot of boxes for a lot of folks

seats 4
    can haul stuff
    can tow stuff
    can be had in awd
    can be had in a hybrid
    will likely have a street price sub 25 k well well equipped
    may have a street price of sub 20 k in a more austere offering where awd is not wanted/needed
    lots of Ford dealers
    Ford did not take the bail out money

FWIW

Name:  2022-ford-maverick-size-graphic-1623073677 (1).jpg
Views: 362
Size:  27.0 KB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Whatever it is, it needs jump seats for the kids. Round 'em up, move 'em out.

Those seats just about compressed your spine on rough backroads...
    Fun, yes, uncomfortable while four wheeling.... Absolutely.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I built an AWD for grins, added several options and the luxury package and ended up at $37k.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Best to avoid being new product testers for any manufacture on your dime.... (hint at least a year)

Not sure what Honda did to PO the above posters but Ford does not know your name an inch after the warranty is gone. Honda will generally participate if one asks.
    That’s how Honda lost me. My 2015 CR-V’s CVT puked at 101,200 miles (100k warranty, always serviced at the dealer on schedule) and they told me to FOAD.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s how Honda lost me. My 2015 CR-V’s CVT puked at 101,200 miles (100k warranty, always serviced at the dealer on schedule) and they told me to FOAD.
    Next time ask the dealer to ask the manufacturer for help with your problem. Unless their policies have changed Honda is very good about that. The dealer is fine with it too because they get paid either way. (But yes the dealer is not going to cover anything themselves)

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    The correct truck lineage name for this would be the Courier...

But Maverick is a good fit, and the people in the market for this don't likely know or care about the old car.

I think it’s got a lot of potential. If this had been established out on the market a couple years already it would have been a contender for me when I downsized from my Tundra to an Outback recently.

It has better truck styling than the Ridgeline and if they can really sell them anywhere close to that starting price that’ll be huge in the current market.

Ridgelines are close to 40K in the top trim. Basically just selling them on Honda's reputation now. The concept fits a lot of peoples lifestyles so not sure why they never really made the big leagues in sales.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Ridgelines are close to 40K in the top trim. Basically just selling them on Honda's reputation now. The concept fits a lot of peoples lifestyles so not sure why they never really made the big leagues in sales.
    When a buddy recently got into guns, he had to have a 1911, and “metal guns” despite 100% being better served by his preference of whichever Glock/Smith/Sig/HK/CZ plastic people popper he liked best. It’s a mental image, status thing.

Similarly people want trucks and they want a truck brand - and Honda isn’t a truck brand. It’s a soccer mom commuter brand.

The Ridgelines biggest failure in my mind is that it didn’t offer much for the trade off from other midsize trucks - it has a few neat features to the bed, but it wasn’t much cheaper, nor did it have meaningfully better gas mileage, than a Tacoma. As such it wasn’t a competitor as much as it was a virtue signal that you’re not a traditional truck guy. And that’s a much smaller market. The first ridgelines had a real love/hate styling, and the second gen went too swoopy feminine and car-like on the styling. The current update beefed the front end shape a bit and it’s looking better IMO.

Ford is toeing the line on that same alternate market (Hence: Maverick naming being a deliberate choice) but having the Ford brand and size/price/mpg being more distinct differentiators to help widen the niche and bridge into CUV and truck buyer markets.

We’ll see how that works out...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Next time ask the dealer to ask the manufacturer for help with your problem. Unless their policies have changed Honda is very good about that. The dealer is fine with it too because they get paid either way. (But yes the dealer is not going to cover anything themselves)
    Both Honda and the dealer couldn’t be assed to help. And this was with the Honda extended warranty (not aftermarket.) They can eat a bag of dicks so far as I’m concerned.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I've been a (mostly) Ford fan and user (especially trucks) since 1970.

I like the Raptor and the F250/350 trucks with 4WD. I have owned both and put mucho, mucho miles on those platforms.

My wife was, for years, a huge Mustang fan.

But as each year passes, it seems to me that the company has lost touch with the ability to appeal to my taste. The new Maverick completely epitomizes that feeling.

I'm sure they will survive without my business.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    A crossover with a pickup bed? Meh pass

User Tag List