Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford Maverick mini pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Ford is the only domestic company I'd consider for this reason, but then again, writing a check to the UAW is like sending money to the DNC, so pass. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider this.
    I've literally given up on US manufacturers. I went almost 30 years without buying a US built vehicle until I bought an 07 Duramax. Once again I got screwed. Reliability wasn't there and cost per mile to maintain was astronomical. So I'm done now.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

For everyone that is to going to buy one anyway…

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Ford is the only domestic company I'd consider for this reason, but then again, writing a check to the UAW is like sending money to the DNC, so pass. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider this.
    It is not because they did not ask for a bail out. Ford got into money trouble a few years before GM and Chrysler. Gov't said no and they had to get themselves out of their own mess. Ford has played "no bail out" for all it is worth but it was only a matter of timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    It is not because they did not ask for a bail out. Ford got into money trouble a few years before GM and Chrysler. Gov't said no and they had to get themselves out of their own mess. Ford has played "no bail out" for all it is worth but it was only a matter of timing.
    Ford had mortgaged itself to the hilt, even putting the "Blue Oval" up for collateral, just before the bottom fell out of the economy. It was indeed good timing and/or leadership (new CEO had just come from turning around Boeing) that allowed Ford to not need Uncle Sam's money.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The bare bones XL version comes standard with 8" center stack with Apple Car Play or Android Auto. That implies it has Sync4 most likely.
    Sync 3 has CarPlay, just not Wireless.

Stupid as it sounds, I’d probably be driving and Explorer ST right now if it had Sync 4. The fact that it has Sync 3 allowed me the excuse I needed not to buy one.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Sync 3 has CarPlay, just not Wireless.

Stupid as it sounds, I’d probably be driving and Explorer ST right now if it had Sync 4. The fact that it has Sync 3 allowed me the excuse I needed not to buy one.
    That comment is very interesting to me professionally as my current work is in the infotainment space and Ford is a customer. May I ask what advantages you perceive SYNC 4 has over SYNC 3?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My new work-mobile has Sync, though I've no idea what version. Whatever a 2018 sedan would have. I haven't messed with it a ton yet, but I like it better than Uconnect. The voice recognition seems smarter and it works faster.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My new work-mobile has Sync, though I've no idea what version. Whatever a 2018 sedan would have. I haven't messed with it a ton yet, but I like it better than Uconnect. The voice recognition seems smarter and it works faster.
    Likely SYNC 3. My two personal vehicles have SYNC 3. For the most part, I like it. I did have to update the SW in my wife's 2017 Mustang GT head unit as it was unstable with the OEM version.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That comment is very interesting to me professionally as my current work is in the infotainment space and Ford is a customer. May I ask what advantages you perceive SYNC 4 has over SYNC 3?
    Personally, wireless CarPlay vs wired is the only thing I'm aware of, or care about. I was never interested in CarPlay until it meant I didn't have to take the phone out of my pocket. Or if I do, I can lay it on a wireless charger not have to dig out some cord. Plugging the phone in now makes me feel like I'm putting a cassette tape adapter into my head unit to play CDs off a discman.

When I replaced the head unit in our camper I had two requirements (both of which drove the price up): (1) Wireless CarPlay (2) Navigation with on-board maps

But your question got me curious, so I went looking for the differences and the first google response was this.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/sync-3-vs-sync-4

If you look at my camper requirements above, you may note that I may not be too thrilled about this difference. I'm not 100% certain this means what I think it does, but if it means that all of the maps are fully cloud-based and not on-board, then I'm not going to be very happy...
    Sync 3: Voice-Activated Navigation
    Sync 4: Cloud-Based Navigation with Real-Time Traffic and Weather

Thanks for the response. My opinion on wireless CarPlay is that it is a bad choice for long drives. While an iPhone can run USB PD on a wired connection and charge at a 18W rate (iPhone 12), wireless chargers usually charge iPhones at much lower rates (7.5W). There are some long technical reasons but the simplest version is Apple's MagSafe does not play well with the Qi standard from WPC and older iPhones rarely do more than 7.5W.

Net result is using GPS, music, and CarPlay on an iPhone on a long drive with wireless charging may result in a dead phone as the phone consumes more power than it gets from the charging pad. If you go this route, mount an Apple MagSafe charger in your vehicle. You get 15W and the magnet holds the phone in place. Of course, you now have a useless OEM wireless charger.

User Tag List