Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: New Ford Maverick mini pickup

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Thanks for the response. My opinion on wireless CarPlay is that it is a bad choice for long drives. While an iPhone can run USB PD on a wired connection and charge at a 18W rate (iPhone 12), wireless chargers usually charge iPhones at much lower rates (7.5W). There are some long technical reasons but the simplest version is Apple's MagSafe does not play well with the Qi standard from WPC and older iPhones rarely do more than 7.5W.

Net result is using GPS, music, and CarPlay on an iPhone on a long drive with wireless charging may result in a dead phone as the phone consumes more power than it gets from the charging pad. If you go this route, mount an Apple MagSafe charger in your vehicle. You get 15W and the magnet holds the phone in place. Of course, you now have a useless OEM wireless charger.
    Wife drove the camper 8k miles in 6 weeks on wireless carplay and wireless charger. The first three days were 10 hours straight, as were the last three. Granted, it wasn't the charging pad in the car (the car doesn't have one) it was some sort of aftermarket charger (I think this one).

Maybe she doesn't know she shouldn't have been able to do that, lol.

Me personally, I'd prefer to never, ever, drive or ride in a car for more than 4 hours at a stretch max, or 6 hours in a day. Even that's a stretch. I cannot stand being in the goddamn car.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Sync 3 has CarPlay, just not Wireless.

Stupid as it sounds, I’d probably be driving and Explorer ST right now if it had Sync 4. The fact that it has Sync 3 allowed me the excuse I needed not to buy one.
    I'm so far behind on technology that I really didn't even know that wireless charging was even a thing on cars. I drive trucks and I get them dirty. I just buy the lowest trim level and rock on. These days that gets me as many options as a decade ago on a top trim level truck.

I'm far enough behind that I had to get out the owners manual in a rental car to figure out how to turn off the lane assist so it'd quit yanking the steering wheel around when hauling ass on back country two lane roads. Then I had to figure out how to get it to quit beeping at me when I got close to a line so my wife could sleep. I'm glad I deleted that shit from my F450 I have on order.

Wife drove the camper 8k miles in 6 weeks on wireless carplay and wireless charger. The first three days were 10 hours straight, as were the last three. Granted, it wasn't the charging pad in the car (the car doesn't have one) it was some sort of aftermarket charger (I think this one).

Maybe she doesn't know she shouldn't have been able to do that, lol.

Me personally, I'd prefer to never, ever, drive or ride in a car for more than 4 hours at a stretch max, or 6 hours in a day. Even that's a stretch. I cannot stand being in the goddamn car.
    Thanks for the info. I tend to drive a lot, like fourteen to eighteen hours with breaks just for fuel, restroom, and food. I also tend to test with units that do not start fully charged.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm so far behind on technology that I really didn't even know that wireless charging was even a thing on cars. I drive trucks and I get them dirty. I just buy the lowest trim level and rock on. These days that gets me as many options as a decade ago on a top trim level truck.

I'm far enough behind that I had to get out the owners manual in a rental car to figure out how to turn off the lane assist so it'd quit yanking the steering wheel around when hauling ass on back country two lane roads. Then I had to figure out how to get it to quit beeping at me when I got close to a line so my wife could sleep. I'm glad I deleted that shit from my F450 I have on order.
    Wireless charging is one of those things I thought I didn't want until I got it. Now I can't even plug my phone in because there's something wrong with the port. it goes from the charger on my nightstand to the charger in the car to the charger on the desk back to the car back to the nightstand.

Which means I'm almost never dealing with a dead phone.

Somebody somewhere is going to tell me that's bad for the battery but for me convenience>longevity in this case.

The above post about Magsafe has me looking at that now. I have an older phone, XS I think, so no built-in magnet which means I'd need a magnetic case. Previously I've preferred mounts that hold the phone mechanically not magnetically because of the case solution plus wife and I can both use the same chargers. Maybe if I get a 12 soon-ish I'll make the switch.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

@rob_s

Why the need for a magnetic case? Can't you just put a thin metal plate inside your current case, or stuck to the outside? They're usually provided with the various magnetic mounts.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Wireless charging is one of those things I thought I didn't want until I got it. Now I can't even plug my phone in because there's something wrong with the port.
    Sounds like not really an issue for you but, if you haven't already, use a light and check for lint in the phone charging port. It's always been a possible issue but newer port designs like usb-c are especially prone to it. Once the lint is at a certain point the charger plug won't even seat. If it's linted up, careful cleaning with a needle or such can clear it out.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Sounds like not really an issue for you but, if you haven't already, use a light and check for lint in the phone charging port. It's always been a possible issue but newer port designs like usb-c are especially prone to it. Once the lint is at a certain point the charger plug won't even seat. If it's linted up, careful cleaning with a needle or such can clear it out.
    I did a little of that, and then got distracted and wandered off to something else. blew it out with some canned air (probably somehow bad for it) to no effect.

Funnily enough, maybe I just made the case for NOT doing wireless charging. By leaving my port un-used it got fouled up! (phrasing?!)

I did a little of that, and then got distracted and wandered off to something else. blew it out with some canned air (probably somehow bad for it) to no effect.

Funnily enough, maybe I just made the case for NOT doing wireless charging. By leaving my port un-used it got fouled up! (phrasing?!)
    Do you carry your phone in a pocket?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Do you carry your phone in a pocket?
    of course, I'm not *that* old!

of course, I'm not *that* old!
    Ouch. Lint.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List