Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trigger versus barrel accuracy

Trigger versus barrel accuracy

Have been goofing around with carry guns at the range as a break from gamer stuff.

Bench rested an EDC X9 at 20 yards with Speer Lawman

Name:  0D374FD3-6D6F-48F3-9AE0-87792AE1F098.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  51.5 KB

Freaking amazing accuracy. I pulled one shot low.

Then bench rested a P365x with aftermarket True barrel.

Name:  03B170B7-A594-413A-BE6B-E1EE8D5F29C9.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  32.1 KB

Really not bad. But the interesting thing was how much harder I had to work to get that group even from a bench rest.

It takes gun size, weight and recoil out of the equation being on a rest and it just comes down to differences in trigger IMO.

The weight of the trigger is the same at ~4+ pounds but the crispness versus loading up and mushiness of the striker fired made a huge difference in how much I had to work for it.

I realize this is kind of a “well duh” observation, but I thought it interesting how much the type of trigger for the same weight pull made a difference for ease/difficulty of shooting.

Site Supporter
    You're assuming that the barrels are capable of equal accuracy. That may or may not be a valid assumption. Also, the Wilson might just really like the ammo you used, and the True barrel not so much. That said, eliminating the called flyers, those results ain't nuthin' to sneeze at.

I always thought triggers (shooters ability to manage a trigger) had more to do with how well a person can shoot than any other factor. That is given that the firearms were the same except for the trigger.

Probably the reason there are so many 1911 trigger tuners out there.

Honest question. Can you tune a trigger on a striker? I don't own one so I don't know.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    You're assuming that the barrels are capable of equal accuracy. That may or may not be a valid assumption. Also, the Wilson might just really like the ammo you used, and the True barrel not so much. That said, eliminating the called flyers, those results ain't nuthin' to sneeze at.
    No not at all. Definitely NOT assuming that slide fit and barrel accuracy are the same in guns costing 5-8x different.

I was saying that given A+++ trigger press quality, those are the differences in barrel / gun accuracy.

What I was commenting on is how much MORE effort and concentration it took with the Sig to get an A+++ trigger press to get those results.

When I gave both guns the same concentration, the P365 group opened up quite a bit.

Site Supporter
    @JCN- Got it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Early on in my shooting experience, I found I shot notably tighter groups (repeatably) in a Beretta 96D with Hornady Critical Defense 165gr than with any of the ball ammo I had put through it, including Lawman. Same gun, same session, I could go back and forth and see the difference on the target. A friend was struggling with accuracy in his .40 and found the same thing with that ammo.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    No not at all. Definitely NOT assuming that slide fit and barrel accuracy are the same in guns costing 5-8x different.

I was saying that given A+++ trigger press quality, those are the differences in barrel / gun accuracy.

What I was commenting on is how much MORE effort and concentration it took with the Sig to get an A+++ trigger press to get those results.

When I gave both guns the same concentration, the P365 group opened up quite a bit.
    I totally get it. I've shot some very pretty groups at 25 yards with some extremely precise Glocks and it's a LOT more "work" in concentration and effort than the same exercise with my CQB Elite.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    All true factors but trigger may still be the most important mechanical accuracy factor. My first S&W 1917 had lived a hard life. Someone threw it in to a trade as a deal sweetener and I said sure why not. Among other things, the bore was pitted like a spotty teenager and there were a couple visible breaks in the rifling. Then again it had both the best DA and SA trigger pulls of anything I've ever shot. Flat out I've never had as accurate a handgun. Being young didn't realize what I had though and threw it into a trade as a deal sweetener in my own turn...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I always thought triggers (shooters ability to manage a trigger) had more to do with how well a person can shoot than any other factor. That is given that the firearms were the same except for the trigger.

Probably the reason there are so many 1911 trigger tuners out there.

Honest question. Can you tune a trigger on a striker? I don't own one so I don't know.
    Yes, trigger is a bigger factor than the barrel. 99.5% of shooters, including myself, can't outshoot the factory barrel. I've played that game, and there is no practical difference in my shooting between nearly stock Glocks and aftermarket slides and barrels.

You can tune a striker fired pistol. There's all kinds of BS and shenanigans available. Triggers, springs, connectors, etc. Glocks at least can be tuned to be extremely short on the reset, which may have its pros or cons depending on your use. Again, I've played that game and not seen much of a benefit (although I did see a lot more FTE/FTF's). All mine have a Ghost (forget which one) or minus connector and smooth SP00357 triggers. Just changing the connector makes a difference, moreso than any barrel, while still being safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    All mine have a Ghost (forget which one) or minus connector and smooth SP00357 triggers. Just changing the connector makes a difference, moreso than any barrel, while still being safe.
    Have you seen any safety or reliability issues with the Ghost connectors?

User Tag List